Darius Bazley - Players Tribune | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley - Players Tribune

Unbelievable. How the hell did they convince him the G league is a better avenue than Europe or China too? Insanity

I'm not sure many 18 year old kids would want to move to Beijing for the equivalent of $100,000 (after expenses) if there was a viable option in the States. Brandon Jennings had a tough time overseas, but he made it to the NBA and Emmanuel Mudiay is successful. Haven't seen alot of kids following their path, which was mostly fueled by academic problems.

Kid’s got his mom and his coach pushing him to do this, and who knows what happened at the McDonald’s game, agent wise?

I feel bad for him. Hope it works out.

Oh, and all the “pioneer” stuff is still annoying. But a lot of high school kids are annoying.
The mom and the high school coach clearly used the “you can be a trailblazer” line to convince him to go the G League route.

Yeah I think there’s definitely a higher ceiling with a year in college.
Brandon Jennings went #10, Emmanuel Mudiay went #7. You think they would have been drafted higher if they spent a year in college? SMH:rolleyes:

Brandon Jennings went #10, Emmanuel Mudiay went #7. You think they would have been drafted higher if they spent a year in college? SMH:rolleyes:

Maybe. Of course I was talking about G league vs College, not overseas vs college.

Maybe. Of course I was talking about G league vs College, not overseas vs college.
1st, you said elsewhere, not G league.
2nd, you think there is a higher upside playing against professionals overseas than in the states.

Ugh. In the history if the program how many kids have we thought, "boy, glad he graduated and took his 15ppg, 8rpg and 35% 3pct with him. He was killing chemistry."

lol.

This is not addition by subtraction by any stretch.

Having said that, he is not a Syracuse player. I will not root for him or against him.

Last edited:
1st, you said elsewhere, not G league.
2nd, you think there is a higher upside playing against professionals overseas than in the states.

I didn’t say elsewhere. I said

Yeah I think there’s definitely a higher ceiling with a year in college.

I was implying college vs g league. Sorry I didn’t make that clear to you. I am now. Higher ceiling of where you can be drafted with a year in college vs a year in the G League. I think he’ll be a first round pick regardless though, and I don’t fault him for the decision. I hope it works out for him and I hope others who don’t want to go to college follow suit.

Well said.

Newsflash #1: 17 year olds are self-centered, rash and impulsive
Newsflash #2 - they are inexperienced so can be easily swayed but adults
Newsflash #3: he is entitled to be the adjectives in newsflash #1; that is part of being 17
Newsflash#4: He is allowed to change his mind - the reasons don't matter
Newsflash #5: He doesn't owe anybody on this board or the fans or the players, the coaching staff or the university or even the guy whose scholarship he supposedly took a g****mn thing

Good Luck to him...

Hope the kid kills it in the G-League and goes #1 in the draft next year...

We'll be fine. And if next year is a tough year, then we'll be fine the year after that...

I’m ok with all of this except where he doesn’t owe the coaching staff something. If you commit, build a relationship built on trust - and then bail late in the process - the staff has every right to be pissed.

When you break a commitment, there is a penalty. That’s a principal that does not change - no matter how much money you make and how much you want to treat it like a “business”.

This kid received really bad (and seemingly selfish) advice from some of the adults in his life. Doubt the short term cash will be worth it in the long run.

lol

Having said that, he is not a Syracuse player. I will not root for him or against him.
It's good to take the high road but the low road is fun once in a while. Hopefully I will never need to root for him and hopefully the rules get changed before there are others who make the same decision

It's good to take the high road but the low road is fun once in a while. Hopefully I will never need to root for him and hopefully the rules get changed before there are others who make the same decision
This kid didn't take the high road. I will be actively rooting against him.

I didn’t say elsewhere. I said

I was implying college vs g league. Sorry I didn’t make that clear to you. I am now. Higher ceiling of where you can be drafted with a year in college vs a year in the G League. I think he’ll be a first round pick regardless though, and I don’t fault him for the decision. I hope it works out for him and I hope others who don’t want to go to college follow suit.
No one's following “suit" because it would be stupid to do so. College remains the best path to the NBA for those who can qualify, as you concede. Some go overseas (and can make a good salary), but almost no one (but DB) willingly chooses to play with a bunch of ball hogger guards in relative obscurity scrapping for minutes against 25 year-olds that have played in college or Europe already.

That is why there are very few examples of G-L players getting drafted in the lottery. Jennings and Mudiay are rare exceptions. VIrtually everyone else has failed, and the worst NBA team (Utah) with G-L rights has never extended an NBA contract to a "first round" G-L pick. The issue is not whether lottery picks make a lot of money (they do), but what is the best way to maximize your draft selection. In almost every case, that means going to college and playing with younger players guided by established (talented) coaches in a team concept, on TV virtually every night, showing NBA scouts what you can do in the "bright lights" of the NCAA's in front of millions of people. All that makes a huge difference, as we saw with Dion Waiters. There is little question that he benefited from the exposure he got at SU. Going number 4 netted him over $3.1M. Had he rolled the dice and gone G-L, there's a very good chance he would NOT have made the lottery. Even if he lucked out like Jennings and got selected at #10, that would have cost him $1.3M for at least 2 years (with a third year team option). We don't know how DB will do. But if he winds up going late in the lottery, or worse late in the first round (assuming he doesn't get hurt), it could cost him millions. By then the chump-change agent loan he got for $100k or whatever will have been spent and he will realize the scale of his mistake. That's why very few, if any, top-level HS players that can qualify academically are going that route. It should have been a big clue that every other kid in the McDonald's game decided to play in college.

Last edited:
For sure. But I think the potential for him to skyrocket toward the top of the draft would be greatest playing in college as opposed to elsewhere for a year.
The media exposure alone if he is playing well would be worth being in college. He will get little of that while in the G league and will have little in the way of memorable moments to broadcast if does.

Two good points made by commentator at today's Jordan game about Bazley.
1. He is not physically mature. Very thin. Lacks strength. Going to have a difficult time playing against older more physical men.
2. In college he would get a lot of minutes. It's uncertain he will play substantial minutes for his G league team. Those minutes have to be earned, he is not just going to be given minutes.
His feeling was college is a more proven way to develop for these guys and play against more equal competition.

Didn't watch a second of this game today did the announcers rip his decsion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom