Class of 2024 - DE/TE KingJoseph Edwards (GA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/19/23) | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 DE/TE KingJoseph Edwards (GA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/19/23)

LOL … live in NW Florida and at times it can be brutal no doubt. It’s also a fair argument to a kid that weather shouldn’t be a factor if your goal is to go pro … high degree of likelihood you could end up somewhere cold. I’d sell it as OJT :)
Yeah. I think I'd ask kids how cold they think it gets in January in Green Bay.

Especially 45K invested in the game. Half of the time people aren’t paying attention or playing on their phones. When i’m at the game or watching the game it’s all business…unless i’m posting in a game thread
I haven't made it to many games just a few the last couple years (and USF with Paulus...) but i was there for NC State last year and whoooooo. I brought my cousin and it got him hooked. Doesn't even really know the rules of football but he was *into* it.

Well we went to the Purdue game first but the NC State game was on a different level re: Atmosphere.

All this talk about weather just floors me. I remember being in an elevator full of execs and one asks a woman how her daughter is doing with college admissions. She replied "She got accepted by Michigan." Another guy says "I hope she likes snow". What an idiotic response. She's looking to get a good education not getting a tan. Atlanta gets an half of snow and it's paralyzed for a week. Syracuse gets half a foot and everybody gets to work on time.
I get it. I spent four years walking Oswego's campus. After living in the south for 15 years, I'd prefer the south. There are good schools all over the country and the academic year is during the colder months. To each there own though. When I lived in CNY, I knew guys that couldn't wait for snowmobile and ski season. Not me. I want tank top weather.

View attachment 234655King not concerned at all about the weather.
Never understood the weather angle. If this was such an advantage, then why aren’t all the Florida schools cleaning house year after year? And why is so much talent leaving there to head north to Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, etc?

I wonder if there is something special about a large enclosed stadium compared to a larger open stadium. Certainly the new center hanging scoreboard has to be cool. No SEC or B1G schools with that.
I do think it provides a different feel and depending on what they do with respect to sound the kids can start to get an idea about how loud it can get with a rabid fanbase.

1000005884.jpg

Even a consistent 9-10 win team in Syracuse is not selling out a 49k capacity for every game. It's just not a realistic expectation.
I'm not sure about that. We've literally never had consistent 9-10 win seasons. We've only had back to back 10 win seasons twice and one 3 year run of 9 wins. In the late '80's and through the '90's we had 7 seasons where we averaged at least 47,000, 4 of those were over 48,000, and a few more at 46,000. I know there have been a lot of demographic changes and college football attendance has been down, but we've seen games of over 40,000 just the last few years despite rarely being good. If we ever had a Clemson like run, I think it's possible we could get around 49,000 consistently because it would be the cool thing to do. I understand it's all moot because capacity is going down, but I think people would show up to watch a contender.

Last edited:
Create a great atmosphere that is loud and that will attract people. Cameron is high school gym. The seats are incredibly uncomfortable. The place is packed creating a great atmosphere. Pack the dome and create an exclusive, packed, awesome atmosphere.
Yep. I've been saying for years we should be the Cameron Indoor of college football. Fans close to field that make a lot of noise.

I do think it provides a different feel and depending on what they do with respect to sound the kids can start to get an idea about how loud it can get with a rabid fanbase.
Ohio State is the outlier there. Southern people don't consider moving to a state north of them moving north unless it is to "the north." There is a lot of regional loyalty.

Ohio State is the outlier there. Southern people don't consider moving to a state north of them moving north unless it is to "the north." There is a lot of regional loyalty.
Works both ways … and you forgot Michigan and to an extent teams like UW and Oregon who are far enough north. This regional concept is much ado about nothing honestly.

Works both ways … and you forgot Michigan and to an extent teams like UW and Oregon who are far enough north. This regional concept is much ado about nothing honestly.
Oops. That reply was meant for the comment above yours. He didn't mention those other schools.

The regional thing is real. I've been in the soutb for 15 years and I'm still a yankee to people here. When I lived in the north and people moved from other areas, it was never given a second thought where they came from.

Never understood the weather angle. If this was such an advantage, then why aren’t all the Florida schools cleaning house year after year? And why is so much talent leaving there to head north to Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, etc?

100%. That post is more an education process because Dohn gets blamed for everything. Rivals actually has more to do with fluctuating recruit rankings.
Yeah well the Rivals guy is a Rutgers stoolie also known for inflating Rut recruit rankings but I can’t say if he Dohngrades too

But they are both hating life watching the Cuse rocket launching like this

Atlanta gets an half of snow and it's paralyzed for a week. Syracuse gets half a foot and everybody gets to work on time.

It's just simple math. The south doesn't get enough snow to justify the cost of the equipment. It's just easier to wait a day or two for it to melt. Syracuse gets hammered each winter and spends money accordingly.

Oops. That reply was meant for the comment above yours. He didn't mention those other schools.

The regional thing is real. I've been in the soutb for 15 years and I'm still a yankee to people here. When I lived in the north and people moved from other areas, it was never given a second thought where they came from.
Lived in NY until 2009 and been in GA and FL since … never run into the yankee thing here but then again I think it’s a matter of cultural fit at times but I have never experienced it … not even my girlfriend who was born and raised in GA doesn’t see me that way either.

It's just simple math. The south doesn't get enough snow to justify the cost of the equipment. It's just easier to wait a day or two for it to melt. Syracuse gets hammered each winter and spends money accordingly.
Exactly … when I worked at LM I was stranded in Tokyo at the airport when it snowed six inches … good thing they aren’t sending recruits to the NE.

Lived in NY until 2009 and been in GA and FL since … never run into the yankee thing here but then again I think it’s a matter of cultural fit at times but I have never experienced it … not even my girlfriend who was born and raised in GA doesn’t see me that way either.
Have you lived in transplant heavy areas since moving?

To be clear, for the most part, people are still nice. But they let me know I'm a yankee and act surprised I haven't changed all of my allegiances to all things Tennessee. If you've lived near bigger cities, I wonder if that's different too. Knoxville still has a lot of old south feel. It's amazing how much advertising for local businesses panders to things being "down home, small town, and southern."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom