Diagne | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

what kind of track record does cusesigel have?

He's a college student and an intern for a site that shall not be named here. Not really sure he has any insider connections and I've never seen him break any news on twitter before. Usually just regurgitates news that others have posted.

You are young. There is still time to change that. No successful person thinks that way.
Settle down, think a lot, think of everything you got. For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not.

So many people worried and not much to substantiate it. Is he currently at SU? No. Does he have to be right now? No. Has the fall semester started? No. I think some have become so accustomed to bad news that they just assume that this will turn out poorly as well. It's turning into the football board. Relax and enjoy the last few weeks of summer. As Bob Marley said, "Every little thing, gonna be alright".
Except for his toe.

I would like nothing better than to be wrong. I really hope I am. Sometime Coach B may not know what is really going on with some of the non day to day basketball stuff. I think that may have gotten us into trouble. So if he told someone no Diagne this year, it is not preposterous to think that could change. He may not know everything regarding what needs to be done to get him over here, and it could have just been a comment out of frustration at the time.

Take a deep breath. Diagne isn't starting this year if he is or isn't here.

Agreed. A lot of impulsive reaction to a possible non-qualification for Diagne and his potential impact to our team. When is the last time a freshmen, let alone a center in Boeheim's zone, played meaningful minutes that impacted the team's performance so significantly that it changed the outcome from NCAAT to NIT? It is very difficult to predict a HS player performing in DI competition and history on these very forum supports this.

It could happen, and has a happened with a few select freshmen, but the odds aren't in his favor for contributing so significantly as a freshmen, especially at such a critical position like center in the zone. A body to absorb fouls, sure, but at what cost to productivity?

Take a deep breath. Diagne isn't starting this year if he is or isn't here.

I'm holding a deep breath so when DC's knees give out I can let out a big one.

bell.jpg

I would like nothing better than to be wrong. I really hope I am. Sometime Coach B may not know what is really going on with some of the non day to day basketball stuff. I think that may have gotten us into trouble. So if he told someone no Diagne this year, it is not preposterous to think that could change. He may not know everything regarding what needs to be done to get him over here, and it could have just been a comment out of frustration at the time.
JB is very close to the vest on things like this. He does not share non-public "newsworthy" information with some random person. Besides which, he is in Las Vegas this week.

FrancoPizza said:
Unfortunately, Boeheim would still play exclusively zone even if he had a lineup of Tyrion Lannisters.

To be fair to JB, a lineup of Tyrion Lannisters isn't winning any games in man to man or zone or any combination thereof.

Agreed. A lot of impulsive reaction to a possible non-qualification for Diagne and his potential impact to our team. When is the last time a freshmen, let alone a center in Boeheim's zone, played meaningful minutes that impacted the team's performance so significantly that it changed the outcome from NCAAT to NIT? It is very difficult to predict a HS player performing in DI competition and history on these very forum supports this.

It could happen, and has a happened with a few select freshmen, but the odds aren't in his favor for contributing so significantly as a freshmen, especially at such a critical position like center in the zone. A body to absorb fouls, sure, but at what cost to productivity?
I agree with the premise of your post but not the reality. Reality is we didn't get Thomas Bryant. Coleman hasn't played in 2 years because of bad knees. Obokoh has not shown any indication that he can contribute. Reality is Diagne was a thread of hope that SU would have another live body. Reality also is that under the most optimistic contribution of Coleman there are still 15-20 minutes needed to be played at the center spot. The performance of previous freshmen centers is irrelevant to this years reality. SU needs Diagne.

My 30,000 foot view is simply: it would be nice to go into a season with some buzz and reasonably high expectations instead of hoping we'll surprise. We haven't had that alpha mentality for awhile. Fan bases of elite programs should expect an occasional down year, but how many suffer back-to-back years of irrelevance? If we're in the NIT again or get bounced as an 11 seed in the NCAAs... it places a tremendous amount of pressure to exercise the demons in 2016-17.

If you're holding out hope for a top-25 caliber team this year, I suppose we'll quickly have a decent barometer in Atlantis. All I know is the frontcourt is in crisis mode and we still have a chucker who can't finish or fast break, so I'm not going to get my hopes up.
Kentucky and North Carolina are both elite programs that went through a couple of down years in a row.

I agree with the premise of your post but not the reality. Reality is we didn't get Thomas Bryant. Coleman hasn't played in 2 years because of bad knees. Obokoh has not shown any indication that he can contribute. Reality is Diagne was a thread of hope that SU would have another live body. Reality also is that under the most optimistic contribution of Coleman there are still 15-20 minutes needed to be played at the center spot. The performance of previous freshmen centers is irrelevant to this years reality. SU needs Diagne.
I disagree with the concept that the value of Diagne is that SU would have "another live body". I can see Diagne becoming very good. A Rick Jackson type 4-5. The value to me of Diagne is the long term possibility of getting this RJ type player, not a "live body" in 15-16. Chino is a "live body" but I don't envision Chino being RJ.

The performance of previous freshman centers is relevant, in that people should temper their expectations of production for freshman centers. If RJ, Fab, DC2, and Rak put up meager stats at center as frosh, it seems unreasonable to me to expect more from Diagne.

SU doesn't need Diagne for 15-16, but the overall progression and expected development of the SU program takes a bit of hit if the next upperclassman center is not being groomed.

Doesn't mean he's eligible to play.

If he's cleared to enroll, he is eligible to play. No progress toward degree requirements for incoming freshman and no partial qualifiers.

Why is this such a difficult question to get real information on. I still haven't seen anyone provide a solid explanation for why he wouldn't be here and eligible this fall....lots of speculation, but nothing definitive and why have Donna and Mike been mum on this subject?

Why is this such a difficult question to get real information on. I still haven't seen anyone provide a solid explanation for why he wouldn't be here and eligible this fall...lots of speculation, but nothing definitive and why have Donna and Mike been mum on this subject?
Few sources that know what is really going on. JB isn't talking. The NCAA probably won't either. And the host family is making everything sound rosy. So where does one get a story from?

Why is this such a difficult question to get real information on. I still haven't seen anyone provide a solid explanation for why he wouldn't be here and eligible this fall...lots of speculation, but nothing definitive and why have Donna and Mike been mum on this subject?

Probably because they don't have any information. This is really all in the NCAAs hands [as we just saw with Blair].

My thought as well.

The Buckley Amendment.

JB is very close to the vest on things like this. He does not share non-public "newsworthy" information with some random person. Besides which, he is in Las Vegas this week.
It was one of the coaches at his basketball camp last week. That is who I got it from. He told him at camp last week that he was not coming. I was surprised. But he had just spent a week with him, at camp and outside of camp socializing.

It was one of the coaches at his basketball camp last week. That is who I got it from. He told him at camp last week that he was not coming. I was surprised. But he had just spent a week with him, at camp and outside of camp socializing.

I'm sticking with what CTO said. Because she is CTO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom