Diagne | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

I'm sticking with what CTO said. Because she is CTO.
This was not to disagree with CTO. She is correct. I was just correcting the notion that it was a random person, but someone he knows very well. And that is as far as I am going because I did share this, and I don't want this person to get into trouble. I will say that it was implied it came from Coach B. It could have come from one of the other current coaches. And the person was only told he was not going to be here this year, nothing else.

The Syracuse Neurosis---- A condition characterized by the tendency for a portion of the Syracuse Basketball fanbase to demonstrate a propensity for predicting the worst possible outcomes based on the most tenuous rumors and hearsay. Those afflicted will often repeat predictions of doom and wallow in self imposed depression and will attempt to infect others by posting never ending streams of negativity on Syracusefan.com

The Syracuse Neurosis---- A condition characterized by the tendency for a portion of the Syracuse Basketball fanbase to demonstrate a propensity for predicting the worst possible outcomes. . .
Such propensity having been too often informed by sad experience.

The Syracuse Neurosis---- A condition characterized by the tendency for a portion of the Syracuse Basketball fanbase to demonstrate a propensity for predicting the worst possible outcomes based on the most tenuous rumors and hearsay. Those afflicted will often repeat predictions of doom and wallow in self imposed depression and will attempt to infect others by posting never ending streams of negativity on Syracusefan.com
(plus you get to learn a new language through subtitles!)

If Coleman gets injured, he sure would have [started].
I doubt it. If Coleman is injured, I think Obokoh gets the nod. He has two more years of experience in the zone. It doesn't matter if Diagne is more athletic, unless he comes in with an immediate understanding of the zone (which no big man has ever done at SU), he isn't going to start. JB leans on his bigs for defense in the zone above all else, and Obokoh, while not incredibly athletic, at least showed brief glimpses of solid defensive ability last year and has now had two seasons to study behind guys like Rak and BMK.

That said, losing Diagne would still be a big loss to the team. I think he's already more polished offensively than Obokoh, and certainly far more athletic. He would also be able to give us depth at the 4 behind Roberson and alongside Lydon.

I doubt it. If Coleman is injured, I think Obokoh gets the nod. He has two more years of experience in the zone. It doesn't matter if Diagne is more athletic, unless he comes in with an immediate understanding of the zone (which no big man has ever done at SU), he isn't going to start. JB leans on his bigs for defense in the zone above all else, and Obokoh, while not incredibly athletic, at least showed brief glimpses of solid defensive ability last year and has now had two seasons to study behind guys like Rak and BMK.

I understand what you are saying and its sound reasoning IF the veteran you are talking about ever played meaningful minutes that were not out of necessity. He was not backing up Rakeem when Chris was still healthy and then when Chris went down he only played if Rakeem was in extreme foul trouble or fouled out of the game. Obokoh was an emergency backup center last season on a team without a backup center. He wasn't even the ".5" rotational guy. Basically if he played we were in a bad situation. I do agree that he showed at least some improvement as far as understanding the defense (ND) but it was an improvement from being completely lost. I think he will make strides on defensive positioning and be better this year, hopefully he can be a reliable back up for 8min a game if needed.

I'd be pretty surprised to see Obokoh ahead of Diagne on the depth charts.

It all comes down to how Diagne responds in the zone. If years past are any indication, he will be pulled the second he makes a mental mistake, much like Rak and Fab Melo were when they were freshman bigs. But then again, we also had more depth those years than we do now, so maybe it won't work that way.

If he comes in with a solid understanding of zone fundamentals, you may be right, but that is incredibly rare for a big man. Personally, I hope you are right, as Diagne clearly has a much higher ceiling.

It all comes down to how Diagne responds in the zone. If years past are any indication, he will be pulled the second he makes a mental mistake, much like Rak and Fab Melo were when they were freshman bigs. But then again, we also had more depth those years than we do now, so maybe it won't work that way.

If he comes in with a solid understanding of zone fundamentals, you may be right, but that is incredibly rare for a big man. Personally, I hope you are right, as Diagne clearly has a much higher ceiling.

I wouldn't be surprised to see JB flip flopping Coleman and Diagne early in the season for missing defensive assignments. I think Coleman will have a great understanding of what he needs to be doing after watching fro so long but he's still has to learn to do it in live action. At some point JB is going to have to let these two play through a mistake or two however because of the depth issue as you point out.

For what its worth I think Diagne will be a solid rotational player for us out of the gate and a big contributor as an upperclassman.

No Diagne = No NCAA. Simple as that. He's not the second coming, but the frontcourt depth is CBI bad without him.

Just 6 months ago, we were all envisioning a frontcourt of Bryant, McCullough, DC2 and Diagne. Now we're down 2, possibly 3. And depending on how knees hold up, we might eventually be down all 4. :bang:

What about long term? Is this a Final Four team in 2017 without Diagne?

I wouldn't be surprised to see JB flip flopping Coleman and Diagne early in the season for missing defensive assignments. I think Coleman will have a great understanding of what he needs to be doing after watching fro so long but he's still has to learn to do it in live action. At some point JB is going to have to let these two play through a mistake or two however because of the depth issue as you point out.

For what its worth I think Diagne will be a solid rotational player for us out of the gate and a big contributor as an upperclassman.
I think the hierarchy will firmly be DC2 then Diagne, no flip flopping. The only quick trigger would be on Diagne/obo mistakes. DC2 will have the long leash.

I think there is a great opportunity for Diagne to carve himself decent minutes this year as a 4-5. He could be the primary backup for both positions. I certainly hope he makes it here.

What about long term? Is this a Final Four team in 2017 without Diagne?
If you mean 2016-7, it certainly would be a tremendous asset to have an experienced year-2 Diagne backing up Chukwu. Think Rick Jackson without the tootsie rolls. If he's not here, there's always the chance they bring in another big in that class...

Given how our roster turns over year after year, it's really total speculation once you look past the current season, let alone 2016, 2017, etc.

I think the hierarchy will firmly be DC2 then Diagne, no flip flopping. The only quick trigger would be on Diagne/obo mistakes. DC2 will have the long leash.

I think there is a great opportunity for Diagne to carve himself decent minutes this year as a 4-5. He could be the primary backup for both positions. I certainly hope he makes it here.

I agree Coleman will be the man and starter. I was just saying early on I could see Coleman getting the hook for defense. Diagne coming in and getting the quick hook for defense.
I agree that there is a big opening for Diagne as a 4/5 backup.

With the NCAA penalties in place and limited scholarships I can't figure out why the staff didn't fully vett before accepting him. You would think a big time program would know the ins and outs of the academic requirements by now.

FYI, have learned that Mike Waters is working on a Diagne update story now - not sure when it will be out but should be very soon
That's good!

But all we really need is a quick "Yes" or "No" to if he's eligible to enroll and play this year.

With the NCAA penalties in place and limited scholarships I can't figure out why the staff didn't fully vett before accepting him. You would think a big time program would know the ins and outs of the academic requirements by now.

How do you know it has to do with academic requirements? Might want to hold off on criticizing the staff when the reason you are attributing might not have anything to do with the hang up.

RF2044 said:
How do you know it has to do with academic requirements? Might want to hold off on criticizing the staff when the reason you are attributing might not have anything to do with the hang up.
Logically what else could it be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom