Diagne | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

I'm sure some will lambast this post as overreacting, but the safer bet at this point is NIT. That's not to say the current roster isn't capable of making the dance, but we all know Boeheim is not going to be willing to change the script.

To be honest, whether we're talking NIT or out the first weekend in the NCAAs, the fact is we're setting up for another disappointing year. At some point we can't keep making excuses for the staff. This kind of predicament isn't a flash-in-the-pan fluke- it's the confluence of a lot of bad developments. I'd say let's warm up the "wait for next year" bus but we've been riding it since the spring of 2014.

We have four starters returning, and a fifth guy who has started in the pivot when healthy.

Losing Diagne would compromise depth--no question. But NIT?

You are most certainly overreacting.

My 30,000 foot view is simply: it would be nice to go into a season with some buzz and reasonably high expectations instead of hoping we'll surprise. We haven't had that alpha mentality for awhile. Fan bases of elite programs should expect an occasional down year, but how many suffer back-to-back years of irrelevance? If we're in the NIT again or get bounced as an 11 seed in the NCAAs... it places a tremendous amount of pressure to exercise the demons in 2016-17.

If you're holding out hope for a top-25 caliber team this year, I suppose we'll quickly have a decent barometer in Atlantis. All I know is the frontcourt is in crisis mode and we still have a chucker who can't finish or fast break, so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

I'm missing your point about the alpha mentality. We have the players we have and we just brought in a really good recruiting class, even if Diagne doesn't show up here. There is plenty to be excited about. The thing that comes with being an elite program is that we get to b*tch about problems 99% of schools would be okay having.

I fully expect to finish in the top 5 of the ACC this season and win a couple games in the NCAAT. Considering the team we have right now, I don't think that's a far-fetched opinion to have or one that is all that rare among the fanbase. If we do have another lackluster season, so be it; it happens and there's nothing we can do about that right now.

So, relax and wait a second or two before throwing yourself in front a bus. The staff has done a solid job and they're held plenty accountable from my perspective.

I'm sure some will lambast this post as overreacting, but the safer bet at this point is NIT. That's not to say the current roster isn't capable of making the dance, but we all know Boeheim is not going to be willing to change the script.

To be honest, whether we're talking NIT or out the first weekend in the NCAAs, the fact is we're setting up for another disappointing year. At some point we can't keep making excuses for the staff. This kind of predicament isn't a flash-in-the-pan fluke- it's the confluence of a lot of bad developments. I'd say let's warm up the "wait for next year" bus but we've been riding it since the spring of 2014.[/QUOTE]

As a Cubs fan, all I can say is, SERIOUSLY?!

We need the Mountain playing center!
the Mountain??

nobody would come into the lane.

or if they did, it would be their last time...ever.
The+Mountain+Game+of+Thrones.jpg

A better word might be self-inflicted!

So again its about SU not issuing the visa and not NCAA clearinghouse? Or are you saying SU is responsible for NCAA being upnour butt because of prior activity?

Take a deep breath. Diagne isn't starting this year if he is or isn't here.

No, but he was going to get a lot of minutes at the 5. It's tough to pencil Coleman in for 30+ for 30+ games.

At this point I'll worry about it until he shows up and until he is officially eligible to play this season. Its a pretty big part of the team to me. Not just this season but moving forward. I expected Diagne to be a very good big who provided flexibility by being able to play both the 4 and 5 while also being an offensive option on the blocks down the road. The absolute biggest question mark for this team is Coleman. I believe the reports that as of now he's healthy and has been showing well in pick up games. That said even if 100% how many minutes can we expect? How many games? I don't generally expect guys to be injured but knee injuries and big guys in bball tend to be recurring and troublesome long term. Realistically no one can be sure about Coleman's knee's at this point. I hope they last him for a nice long career but I don't think we can count on that. So possibly losing our backup center is a pretty big deal IMO. Does it mean auto NIT, not IMO but it is a big blow if Diagne cannot play this year.

I also think fans in general underrate upperclassman and returning players. What we do have is 2 5th year senior guards and an experienced junior forward. I expect all 3 to have very good seasons. Also no matter what anyone thinks of Joseph there is basically zero chance he does not come back improved. Richardson is a very safe bet to be able to handle at least a secondary scorers load. If Coleman is healthy its another upperclassman/former starter.

So does that mean you won't be commenting on the matter any more?

yes. until something official comes out public period.

Gotta understand i live and think minute by minute, hour to hour, day by day kind of guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom