Did we really miss expectations? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Did we really miss expectations?

Briancuse said:
Why would we be playing against Okafur next year?

We aren't.

Why would we be playing against Okafur next year?
brian. okafor was simply brought up here to hammer home the point "don't count your chickens".
it's rather obvious to most okafor wasn't returning (tho some said same about cmc). it was also obvious to some that a couple key SU players might also move on. so always have a back up plan.

Last edited:
I agree. Maybe the coaches should start interviewing players' dads. :crazy:

What makes you think they don't? And maybe that's the answer to why would we be playing against Okafor next year. Because his father, who completed grad requirements in 3 years, believes in completing a degree?

Of course but the point is they would be down too.

Yes of course, but since they run a little deeper, the overall impact on the team would be less. Wouldn't it?

Weird, no you didn't but you tried to minimize the point with false beliefs that you called poor roster management.

Yes or no. Did losing all 4 players have a negative impact?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm responding to people trying to lump Grant and DC with Ennis and McC. The situations are Apple's/Oranges.

I would say not planning for Grants departure and Coleman's injury woes was poor roster management. Not sure what else to call it.

*this where I get shut down with the tried and true "900 wins" argument,or some variation thereof.

I would say not planning for Grants departure and Coleman's injury woes was poor roster management. Not sure what else to call it.

*this where I get shut down with the retired and true "900 wins" argument,or some variation thereof.

Geez, doc, if it was that easy, wouldn't they all be doing it? There are a whole sh!tload more variables involved when kids play basketball than when coaches play chess. That's why more people buy tickets to see the former than the latter. :D

docsu said:
I would say not planning for Grants departure and Coleman's injury woes was poor roster management. Not sure what else to call it. *this where I get shut down with the retired and true "900 wins" argument,or some variation thereof.

Well maybe you should look at the very first post and get the point, not some straw man for an individual player. And maybe we did recruit Mac in case or to have both. And yes, I believe the coaches understand their roster and what they need infinitely more than you do. And that's why we have a top 5 class next year.

What makes you think they don't?
It seems that asking a recruit's dad if he will give his son uninformed advice to enter the draft when not really ready for the NBA would be awkward.

It seems that asking a recruit's dad if he will give his son uninformed advice to enter the draft when not really ready for the NBA would be awkward.

What I was getting at was that coaches regularly meet parents to get a feel for how the kid was raised and what kind of values/goals the kid may have. Just another indicator in the whole selection process, that's all.

Well maybe you should look at the very first post and get the point, not some straw man for an individual player. And maybe we did recruit Mac in case or to have both. And yes, I believe the coaches understand their roster and what they need infinitely more than you do. And that's why we have a top 5 class next year.

Your original post can be fine with literally every high level program. I'm surprised you didn't throw MCW in there.

It seems to me that of that "top five" class, the consensus is that one of those guys may be a contributor next year.

It seems to me that of that "top five" class, the consensus is that one of those guys may be a contributor next year.

Not an indefensible position, that. It's also not unreasonable to expect one will not develop/drop out/leave early. Now, please tell us which ones they will be so we can develop a contingency plan for each.

the bottom line here it is what it is. and you can cry all night over who's here or who's not . you can argue "well we didn't plan for this or foresee that or if only so and so blahblahblahblah."
playing well as a team is what matters most . this season we didn't and brought on more scandal to boot. and for those who think this is one of jim boeheim's finer seasons...we'll agree to disagree.

Not an indefensible position, that. It's also not unreasonable to expect one will not develop/drop out/leave early. Now, please tell us which ones they will be so we can develop a contingency plan for each.

Fair enough. Overall I can't be too critical. I think they did the best with the hand they were dealt this year.

Yes of course, but since they run a little deeper, the overall impact on the team would be less. Wouldn't it?

They would be an also ran without them. Like us.

Your original post can be fine with literally every high level program. I'm surprised you didn't throw MCW in there.

Nope, JB is planning on an injury occurring and a suspension. He will at least two of them ready to play so he's not accused of poor roster management again.

Fair enough. Overall I can't be too critical. I think they did the best with the hand they were dealt this year.

I concur. Especially considering we were only one bad decision away from beating Villanova, and thus 3 top 15 teams with a threadbare line-up.

Would love to know exactly who you think we should have recruited. Please name the players you would have liked to see Orange. Interesting...

tbonezone said:
ok duke lost 2 1st rounders jabari parker fr and hood soph. and starter sulaimon. boo hoo. are you saying we shoulddn't be able to compete with duke ?

Are you completely obtuse? A couple guys I'm sure JB hoped would contribute more (Joseph, Patterson/Johnson) just didn't. happens, some players need a longer time to develop than Ennis, for example.

But you're right, the staff should have omnipotence to not only know when each player will leave or be injured years in advance, they should also be able to precisely forecast when 17 year olds will achieve peak performance.

Oy vey.

yes i'm totally obtuse. but JB wasn't dealt those players you mention . he choose them. this is his team.
and if he fails to grasp today's fluid dynamics of team construction then perhaps he should move on.

Last edited:
yes i'm obtuse. but JB wasn't dealt those guys you mention he choose them. this is his team.

Because they were the finest available players that were interested in attending Syracuse University at the time.

HOF coach builds his program , coaches their progress and then bitches about their production.

buck stops where ?

HOF coach builds his program , coaches their progress and then bitches about their production.

buck stops where ?

You haven't answered the question of which players JB should have recruited that he didn't recruit..

We didn't miss expectations if you know things about basketball. Some people just rather blindly hope than critically analyze the team. Even if CM didn't go down we weren't making the tournament.

I think the defense will be better up top next year but I worry about the center position. It's not easy to learn right away. Also spacing on offense will continue to be an issue because no one can consistently make a jumper.

you keep tossing out that word unexpected. didn't surprise me (other than mccullough).
i guess the lesson here is be prepared for the unexpected. that's what you're paid for.
brian. okafor was simply brought up here to hammer home the point "don't count your chickens".
it's rather obvious to most okafor wasn't returning (tho some said same about cmc). it was also obvious to some that a couple key SU players might also move on. so always have a back up plan.
Apparently you can see the future so well that you never have to worry about unforeseen circumstances. Oh, wait! You have back up plans for all phases of life. :rolleyes:

buck stops where ?
Actually, JB said several times over the past months that we were not a good team and we were playing as well as we could and/or words to that effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom