Dino Babers ... NOT NAMED 2018 ACC Coach of the Year | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers ... NOT NAMED 2018 ACC Coach of the Year

I never really thought about it, but yeah, Dino should’ve won it.

Let's just be 100% crystal clear on this. The same media members who voted Clemson #1 in the conference in the preseason, and Syracuse 14th now claim Clemson finishing first is more impressive than Syracuse finishing second? Insanity at its finest.

Let's just be 100% crystal clear on this. The same media members who voted Clemson #1 in the conference in the preseason, and Syracuse 14th now claim Clemson finishing first is more impressive than Syracuse finishing second? Insanity at its finest.

Well, they had to run such a gauntlet this season, what with FSU being a shell of themselves, Llvll being a complete dumpster fire, and somehow managing to squeak out a last-second home win vs. the preseason WORST TEAM IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE.

Who can argue with that sorta logic? :rolleyes:

Just more ACC BS with a little tobacco road bias and southern racism. That’s the only explanation. Preseason #1 and preseason #14. Pffft.

All the "NR"s are assumed to be static at 25? That puts every NR team's pre-season ranking on par with LSU, which is way above where many were actually rated. We were last in conference and probably out of the top 30, maybe the top 40 to start the season. We should be + 12 or + 22.
That is true but I had two top 25 lists to work with and did what I could with them. The ones with a plus sign after the number signify at least that number, probably significantly more...

There's no denying the superb job Dabo has done. And I hope Clump wins the whole enchilada.

But Dino turned a turd into a blossom. He should be National Coach of the Year - without question.

Wow... well Dino time to win it next year. This is absurd. This isn’t “the best team award” it’s the “best coaching job done this season” award. And taking a team picked last in the preseason to second best at the end of regular season in the ACC is way more impressive. What a joke.

Ask those same voters to go to Vegas before the year and put their money on which coach would go 9-3 and finish 2nd in the conference. I would guess that they would pick 12-13 teams ahead of SU. No way would they have guessed Syracuse. Luck? Fluke? Or coaching?

Tigernet in perfect form this afternoon

"There had to be 22 Dabo hater in the bunch that votes for that award bc, nothing, absolutely nothing that Dino Babers, HC at Syracuse has done that can come anywhere close to what Dabo has done at Clemson. To be totally honest, that award should go to Dabo every year until another coach can prove they can do the same at their school as Dabo has done at Clemson. Winners some how for some reason attracts biases!!!"

I mean if this is the argument then fine. Award it to Dabo every f)&@ing year but be intellectually consistent with it.

Listen. I have no problem with Shafer's reaction to Dabo's decision at the end of that game. Dabo was well in control of that game deep into the 4th quarter and I believe threw the ball into the endzone on 4th down. (I may be a little fuzzy on the details here).

Regardless, the move was completely uncalled for and Shafer was completely, understandably frustrated. It was a d... move. And just because of that, I dont understand why Dabo is everyone's golden boy.

1. When we joined the acc we expected some bias would be there. Who cares...give us our money so we can pay Dino and the coaches...keep the stinking award.

2. To be fair to Dabo, albeit he has 5 star talent, he navigated benching a proven winner / upper classman in Bryant for the true frosh. Just keeping team in lock step is commendable.

3. Agree with Otto...Dino won Acc coach of year...screw all other coaches

Just for some recent history on this:

2013 - Cutcliffe with a 9-3 record got ACC COY over undefeated 12-0 Jimbo Fisher (who went on to win NC)
2014 - Paul Johnson with a 10-2 record got ACC COY over 11-1 Jimbo Fisher
2015 - Dabo Swinney got ACC COY with a regular season record of 12-0
2016 - Justine Fuente with an 8-4 record got ACC COY over 11-1 Dabo Swinney
2017 - Mark Richt with a 10-1 record got ACC COY over 11-1 Dabo Swinney

So there is no consistency in how they vote. I haven't researched it but I saw on another board that when Dabo won in 2015 it was his first ACC COY honor. If that is the case, I don't feel so bad for Babers because Dabo probably should have won the award in 2011 and 2016 in addition to his 2015 win. Had they got it right in those years, Babers might have won this year.

Cheers,
Neil
Poor Jimbo. That must be the reason he left the ACC. He got no respect. ;)

Listen. I have no problem with Shafer's reaction to Dabo's decision at the end of that game. Dabo was well in control of that game deep into the 4th quarter and I believe threw the ball into the endzone on 4th down. (I may be a little fuzzy on the details here).

Regardless, the move was completely uncalled for and Shafer was completely, understandably frustrated. It was a d... move. And just because of that, I dont understand why Dabo is everyone's golden boy.

I believe that happened right before half or something like that, it was way over the top.

The 11 who did not vote for either Dabo or Dino should have their voting rights revoked. Time for some accountability here.

Eh honestly, besides this board and Clemson's no one is going to care that Babers finished second. Should he have won it, of course but really in the grand scheme it means very little. Extend Dino and win the bowl game I will take that 10 out of 10 times over some coach of the year award. Desko has won the award 3 years running for Lax, trust me he would give them back in a heartbeat for some post-season success instead.

really folks !! I would love Dino to win ,but Dabo is the best coach in the ACC. At this point .