Class of 2020 - DL David Ndukwe (GA) WKU Commit / Offered | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 DL David Ndukwe (GA) WKU Commit / Offered

Slayton was a DE coming into Syracuse - this would be a sneaky good get for SU. I really like his athletic ability. Appears to have the athleticism to play at a P5 school.

The gamble Syracuse is taking is that he will not be able put on the “healthy” weight needed to play inside. He may not be quite twitchy enough to play on the edge, and therefore we get stuck with a ‘tweener type.

I really think this kid will fill out bye his body type. Looks a lot like Slayton 5 years ago. Bye his soph year as his technique and size improve he willl be about 290. He could get as big as 330 with his frame but as they say each kid is different.

I just want the staff to have a balance of guys for DT and that does include the 290 LB as well as Ndukwe's body type. Bear is 282, Black is 270, Harper is 300, Okechukwu was 261 but not sure if his illness lowered that and Rondi and Tuazama are around 250. I have no real clue regarding Munoz but he was listed as 255.

Personally, I think the staff might have a nice mix here and depending on situations a lot of these guys could have some impact and Ndukwe at 6'6" would be the tallest of the whole group and be a very nice addition to the DL.

I just think our d line had a chance with Slayton in the middle. With McKinkey out this year and Slayton graduated, the defensive ends didn't have nearly the production they had a year ago. There was just no reason for an opposing offense to pay attention to undersized defensive tackles.

You gotta be strong, yes. You gotta be athletic, yes. But when your body weight isn't much to push around, how much can you actually do? You are probably not stressing the opposing o line enough.

These are just my thoughts though. I hope Ndukwe comes aboard if the coaches want him ...but these are guys not in the line of a Jason Bromley, Kayton Samuels, Eric Crume, Arthur Jones, or Steven Clark. Those guys could set the point, and I think we are all just waiting for this new recruiting technique to become actually useful ...or to trash it altogether
Bromley and Slayton weren't much bigger than this guy coming out of HS. Good weight is more important than just weight coming from HS to college. Can't rebuild bodies like Wayne Williams and countless other failed DT commits over the years.

NOt judging the kid one way or the other off his film and never having seen him play but has the offer list improved? If not......

Shafer could find real defensive tackles.
"Actual" DTs Shafer's staff took (going off of All Day, All Week Recruiting, commits listed as DTs): W. Williams, Harvey, Samuels, Guidice, Clark, Cross. Samuels grad transferred, Clark had medical issues. The rest made little impact and left before they graduated.

I think if Nduwke can grow without losing any speed or twitch, he's going to be a contributor.

"Actual" DTs Shafer's staff took (going off of All Day, All Week Recruiting, commits listed as DTs): W. Williams, Harvey, Samuels, Guidice, Clark, Cross. Samuels grad transferred, Clark had medical issues. The rest made little impact and left before they graduated.

I think if Nduwke can grow without losing any speed or twitch, he's going to be a contributor.
If we get this kid, I will bet he will open some eyes big time in 2yrs if he commits to S&C and his coaches.

Bromley and Slayton weren't much bigger than this guy coming out of HS. Good weight is more important than just weight coming from HS to college. Can't rebuild bodies like Wayne Williams and countless other failed DT commits over the years.
Slayton was listed by the recruiting sites at between 275 and 288lbs his HS senior year. Way bigger than this kid an wss one of the strongest kids on the team as a freshman as I recall.

20191213_071742.jpg

Slayton was listed by the recruiting sites at between 275 and 288lbs his HS senior year. Way bigger than this kid an wss one of the strongest kids on the team as a freshman as I recall.

View attachment 174032
Not for nothing, but when I went over to Slayton’s HS profile from that site, it had him listed at 260. He was listed at 288 when I went to his college and nfl profiles over there.
776B01FB-8A7C-4661-987C-ED4EA1514B37.png

Slayton and Bromley were BIG kids. To compare them to some of the kids we've been bringing in lately is disingenuous. I think McKinley is the best example we have of a DT who can grow into the position. But even someone like Black still looks like a twig compared to some of the DTs we see in the ACC.

It's illogical to think that you can add 60 lbs of muscle to a kid, but you can't sculpt what's already there and increase speed, twitchiness, in the process.

FWIW, this kid appears to have a pretty good frame.

What? Every kid can’t just add 60lbs of muscle to their frame even if the board wills it to be. Is there some physiological explanation for this? I thought it was just a given they would add weight, muscle, speed, and power.

Our biggest issue in my mind on defense is our guys play out of position based on size, our DE's play DT our LB's play DE, our safetys play LB...
Well, other than the DE's play DT, what you just described is the model laid down by the late 80s Miami Hurricanes on college football. And it really has never left.
Speed, speed, strength, speed and speed.

Our biggest issue in my mind on defense is our guys play out of position based on size, our DE's play DT our LB's play DE, our safetys play LB...

Wish I could like this a 100 times... So evident this year...

I don't think this is accurate at all.

The only guy that fits that description is Berry, and he had a pretty good year and I think was a strategically disruptive part of the DT rotation. Everybody else on the defense played either their natural position or the position they grew into.

I thought for sure this would be an easy flip but that’s recruiting for ya

So are ok with this because we need DTs that are DT sized and he wouldn't really help us for a while, or are we bummed because we need DTs that can grow into themselves as players and that won't be happening here?

So are ok with this because we need DTs that are DT sized and he wouldn't really help us for a while, or are we bummed because we need DTs that can grow into themselves as players and that won't be happening here?

Not ok....being ok?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom