DL Jatius Geer transferring to South Carolina | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

DL Jatius Geer transferring to South Carolina

I don't feel jaded about portal stuff because Syracuse has done a good job bringing in new talent (Ingraham, Gould, Bellamy etc). People won't like it but the portal increases the chance Syracuse has a good one-off year to sneak into the expanded playoff.

Can’t say I disagree with you, however at 62 , Fall Saturdays have been so much of my existence that I can’t honestly say I will stop attending. So for me I plan to ride it out wherever it goes , and I’ll be in sect 333 every home game and at a couple road games as usual….. carry on.

I understand your position on it as well, but I’ll be out fishing and will see the score later that night as it scrolls across the ticker. I just can't see killing whole Saturday's - or even whole weekends - around it anymore.

It's almost comical that the portal windows have become bigger business than signing day; and not for the better.

Great we'll see who's on the team in August, hope we can magically put one together and then worry about who of our best players we're losing to transfer in December. Sounds fun.

Agree. It should be noted that Geer was fully dressed but as far as I could tell, did not play a snap.

I wonder if the staff thought he might be at risk of getting bought and decided not to play him to keep him under wraps from all the predator schools willing to make offers to players to try and get them to leave their schools?

At the least, the NCAA has to pick a couple of cases where outlaw schools tampered with players, made them offers and got them to go to the portal and transfer.

And give those schools a severe penalty. I think a good penalty would be no use of the portal to bring in new players for 12 months.
No doubt. I’m a diehard and I’m slowly losing interest

I don't feel jaded about portal stuff because Syracuse has done a good job bringing in new talent (Ingraham, Gould, Bellamy etc). People won't like it but the portal increases the chance Syracuse has a good one-off year to sneak into the expanded playoff.
It really doesn’t. We aren’t landing proven P5 players out of the portal. We’re landing guys with injury issues that were buried on depth charts or guys that were high level recruits that couldn’t crack the 2 deep their first year. And we’re trading that with proven P5 players. I don’t think anyone in their right mind would take those trades unless they were trying to shine a positive light on our outlook moving forward.

And to top it off we’re losing our highest rated HS recruits to competing NIL offers.

This isn’t a good trend.

It really doesn’t. We aren’t landing proven P5 players out of the portal. We’re landing guys with injury issues that were buried on depth charts or guys that were high level recruits that couldn’t crack the 2 deep their first year. And we’re trading that with proven P5 players. I don’t think anyone in their right mind would take those trades unless they were trying to shine a positive light on our outlook moving forward.

And to top it off we’re losing our highest rated HS recruits to competing NIL offers.

This isn’t a good trend.
This

I know a great number of these players don’t care about the education (not all but see CJ Strouds answer about test taking) but can you imagine transferring from a top 50 educational institution to transfer to West Virginia or South Carolina? If he doesn’t ever make a dime from the NFL he significantly weakens the trajectory of his professional earning power when he gets his first job. Hope the few hundred thousand to leave was worth it.

Professional earnings ? That's nonesense, it's just not how the real world works and their majors aren't exactly computer engineering.

This is what people like to tell themselves who've overpaid for a standard college degree. I can assure you my Syracuse U friends with teaching degrees are not making more money than my SUNY friends.

This isn’t a good trend.
True but I think it will help us, and has already helped us, at the most important position in all of sports, QB. We can’t sniff a higher end HS QB but we got 2 on the roster via the portal and one of them has become a solid player. Now, we can also develop and lose a QB to a higher bidder but I think in general the portal will help us at QB

This isn’t a good trend.
We'll see. This is all new.

1682607317394.jpeg

Professional earnings ? That's nonesense, it's just not how the real world works and their majors aren't exactly computer engineering.

This is what people like to tell themselves who've overpaid for a standard college degree. I can assure you my Syracuse U friends with teaching degrees are not making more money than my SUNY friends.
I wouldn’t exactly use teaching as an example of where college choice is or is not a differentiator.

1682609214726.jpeg

God bless ya, usually there with ya, wish I was on this one, here’s hoping you’re right!

True but I think it will help us, and has already helped us, at the most important position in all of sports, QB. We can’t sniff a higher end HS QB but we got 2 on the roster via the portal and one of them has become a solid player. Now, we can also develop and lose a QB to a higher bidder but I think in general the portal will help us at QB
I would have agreed pre-NIL but NIL has turned this into a net negative for us like most things in the SEC power conference era.

I wouldn’t exactly use teaching as an example of where college choice is or is not a differentiator.

Fine use Sports Management or Criminal Justice, use any number of a 100 standard majors.

The new hire starting salary is the starting salary is the starting salary. You're not going to get more than the base in the private sector and you're definitely not going to in the public sector (law enforcement or teaching for example). Your future earnings will depend on you and your ambition.

Last edited:
I know a great number of these players don’t care about the education (not all but see CJ Strouds answer about test taking) but can you imagine transferring from a top 50 educational institution to transfer to West Virginia or South Carolina? If he doesn’t ever make a dime from the NFL he significantly weakens the trajectory of his professional earning power when he gets his first job. Hope the few hundred thousand to leave was worth it.

Doesn't matter at all. A lot of these FB and BB players (especially ones that played some) get jobs they don't deserve and/or positions are made up for them by a local business/company.

The athletic administration leadership stock is plummeting in my mind currently. We are a scared program. You think South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida, Florida st, Clemson etc is scared of infractions? We have PTSD. Shoo’ed away a very good NIL asset in weitsman. Idk man I’m just SMH a LOT lately.

Fine use Sports Management or Criminal Justice, use any number of a 100 standard majors.

The new hire starting salary is the starting salary is the starting salary. You're not going to get more than the base in the private sector and you're definitely not going to in the public sector (law enforcement or teaching for example). Your future earnings will depend on you and your ambition.
I think most unionized jobs are a bad choice for comparison because the pay tends to be pretty hierarchal. That being said, in the private sector you have much more variation based on company prestige, ancillary group work, demonstrated competency, etc. Someone (for an extreme example) going to Harvard vs. SUNY Potsdam will command different starting salaries, the Harvard grad will command a much higher salary due to the perceived prestige and selectivity of the school. That difference may be based on the place you start (google versus the local accounting firm) but the school choice undoubtedly has a major impact on earning potential. Once you get outside of the top 25-50 schools the gap closes quickly, but going to a low tier SUNY school does not command the salary (nor the attention) that going to a top tier SUNY or Private school offers.

He’s the most NFL potential D lineman we currently have on the team. This is what NIL does. People see your potential and take them when they are in need. It forces you to make choices as a staff. Decide how much you are willing to pay to keep him.
Honestly, I’m not sure how much NIL is a factor vs the availability of the portal. Three stars that develop rapidly and play well at smaller schools become a better bet than an unproven 4 star HS athlete that will take a year or to see the field. The top 35 programs are taking advantage of this and the players know that this presents an opportunity to play on a bigger stage.

If HCDB finds a way to consistently win and compete then I think this goes away. NIL is a factor, but it’s not the factor. It feels like it’s becoming more of an excuse than anything else.

I think most unionized jobs are a bad choice for comparison because the pay tends to be pretty hierarchal. That being said, in the private sector you have much more variation based on company prestige, ancillary group work, demonstrated competency, etc. Someone (for an extreme example) going to Harvard vs. SUNY Potsdam will command different starting salaries, the Harvard grad will command a much higher salary due to the perceived prestige and selectivity of the school. That difference may be based on the place you start (google versus the local accounting firm) but the school choice undoubtedly has a major impact on earning potential. Once you get outside of the top 25-50 schools the gap closes quickly, but going to a low tier SUNY school does not command the salary (nor the attention) that going to a top tier SUNY or Private school offers.
I think Phat used a great comparison. Most NCAA football players have listed majors that include General Studies, Criminal Justice, Communications, Kinesiology, etc. This leads them to jobs like teacher, LE, etc. Of course students who dedicate their studies at Harvard will be better situated that most other colleges. That is not most college athletes.

DO article from 2018: Some SU athletes said they were forced into majors ‘they did not want,’ following national trend

This is just one of many articles which talks about this.

No doubt this stinks, but it's happening to almost everyone. Purdue just lost their starting LT. Brutal.
When the two time defending champions, who had FIFTEEN guys drafted last year, lose a player as good as the Bear, you know what a sh**show this all is. I hope Purdue doesn’t find a good replacement for that LT, at least not until week 4 of the season

I'm just not going to get upset at players doing what admins and coaches have done for decades. The problem has always been with non-players when it comes to NCAA.
Why not? The coaches and Admins are adults supporting wives and children. Do you think we give a damn if a college kid doesn't get a million dollars to jump schools when most of us have been paying back our loans for 20 years? The only people that can stop this crap are the fans themselves who get on the same page and boycott college sports until they reverse the process that ruined the system. Probably way too much to ask.

Honestly, I’m not sure how much NIL is a factor vs the availability of the portal. Three stars that develop rapidly and play well at smaller schools become a better bet than an unproven 4 star HS athlete that will take a year or to see the field. The top 35 programs are taking advantage of this and the players know that this presents an opportunity to play on a bigger stage.

If HCDB finds a way to consistently win and compete then I think this goes away. NIL is a factor, but it’s not the factor. It feels like it’s becoming more of an excuse than anything else.
NIL is a big factor with the proven players and the high upside guys. Every year teams have to decide who they will fight for and who they will let go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom