Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
There have been a lot of assumptions being floated these last few years, months, days.

I’m of the opinion fans are going to hasten his exit and not for the better. I’m also of the opinion there wasn’t a scenario where he’d be here beyond 2024 in the first place.

The sensible time for his exit has passed and you can't "kid-glove" an old bull in a china shop.

The fans have been more than patient and if he overturns the tea cart on his way out the door, so be it. It's not the fans' fault. He has made his bed.

It's his legacy to ruin.

I think they announce Jim is going to coach next year and that one of the guys is taking over.

Until there is an actual ironclad plan, the unknown will allow for speculation, commentary on the commentary, etc.

That's the problem now with it reaching where it's reached.

I think they announce Jim is going to coach next year and that one of the guys is taking over.
That would have to be a compromise as he doesn't want to announce in advance and doesn't want fanfare. That said, the way he's going, the fanfare won't matter.

He simply wants to walk away when he's done, which is also why the article made no sense. He didn't need to commit to next year at this point with a probably. It was because of ego and not liking what people say in the community. He always responds this way and has gotten worse with age. The more his back is up against the wall, the more he is going to dig in. I truthfully don't see this ending nice unless Julie is heavily involved.

I also have to believe that this latest class of players signed up knowing that JB might not be there for the entire duration of their careers, given his age. So maybe a new coach wouldn't be as big of a trigger event as it otherwise might be under different circumstances.
Yup. Which is also the excuse we will get for one of them taking over. Honestly, at this point, I've moved on from hating that to will embrace any form of change. This could have been handled and orchestrated so well. I feel bad for JAB more than anything. He doesn't deserve to go out this way but it's his own damn fault.

You’re a decent person and that’s why you have concern. It’s the right emotion.

There’s a vocal minority who have made themselves known in this thread who are hoping this is the impetus that gets him canned.

Oh, I'd say it is a LOT more than a vocal minority at this point.

And, for the record, I also think the overwhelming majority of us want for JAB to be "allowed to retire" in lieu of being canned.
(just like what ND did with Mike Brey)

It would ONLY be that if JAB refused that option, that the BoT and ADJW would have to use the nuclear option on him.

I truly hope he doesn't let it get to that point, for the good of his reputation, and the program, University, CNY area, and Orange Nation and the OttoMan Empire.

Last edited:
He said our kids get less than $20,000.

Well, that’s pretty much bad for recruiting, to declare that we‘re the Dollar Store of NIL.

But, didn’t AW just spend waaaayyyyy more than $20K to get a PG recruit up to the Dome with some rapper? And didn’t we just get a commitment from that kid? And AW said the kid didn’t even bother to try to negotiate one dollar? Don’t we believe that kid is getting waaaaaayyyy more than $20,000?

Seems like JB is kinda clueless, not just misinformed. Arrogantly ignorant.

It's compounded with how much publicity AW pushes out with his efforts. Which, let's be real, is just as much about benefiting his own personal brand as it is helping Cuse (again, which I am fine with).

JB is saying whatever he wants, AW is bragging about being a baller and now people are finally asking what is going on.

When a coach departs [or is canned], some will opt to leave, and some will stay [for any of a variety of reasons]. It's inevitable.

But not everyone will bail.
LSU says.... How's your mama an' them

The sensible time for his exit has passed and you can't "kid-glove" an old bull in a china shop.

The fans have been more than patient and if he overturns the tea cart on his way out the door, so be it. It's not the fans' fault. He has made his bed.

It's his legacy to ruin.

My point is I think an exit was already in the works and fans aren’t helping the program right now by speeding it up.

Oh, I'd say it is a LOT more than a vocal minority at this point.

And, for the record, I also think the overwhelming majority of us want for JAB to be "allowed to retire" in lieu of being canned.
(just like what ND did with Mike Brey)

It would ONLY be that if JAB refused that option, that the BoT and ADJW would have to use the nuclear option on him.

I truly hope he doesn't let it get to that point, for the good of his reputation, and the program, University, CNY area, and Orange Nation and the OttoMan Empire.
It's definitely more than a vocal minority. Can't wait for the PS or DO to do the poll and release the results...

Yup. Which is also the excuse we will get for one of them taking over. Honestly, at this point, I've moved on from hating that to will embrace any form of change. This could have been handled and orchestrated so well. I feel bad for JAB more than anything. He doesn't deserve to go out this way but it's his own damn fault.

To be clear, I think there should be a national search. But, to also be clear, I'll give full-throated support if it's Hop, Red or GMac. I won't like it, but I'll support it.

The pool of who we can get will be inlfuenced by what JB sees his role being after he steps away.

It's definitely more than a vocal minority. Can't wait for the PS or DO to do the poll and release the results...

I hope it’s the DO just for the memes of the following press conference. Some grad student is going to get bodied.

An angle worth considering is the ‘clean house’ option. Meaning GMac and Autry leave alongside JB.

If JB is forced into retirement, things will be ugly.

And to your point -- under such circumstances, neither Wildhack nor the University are going to want his specter looming over the program if he has to be forcibly pushed out the door.

Promoting one of the current AC's wouldn't allow for that clean separation.

You’re a decent person and that’s why you have concern. It’s the right emotion.

There’s a vocal minority who have made themselves known in this thread who are hoping this is the impetus that gets him canned.
Some people are over the top, but I was a huge JB supporter up until the Sweet 16 run two years ago. Everything since from a roster construction and PR standpoint has been a disaster basketball wise. It's time.

I also don't buy in a large number of players moving on because JB is no longer the coach. Brown? Taylor? Mintz might leave for more nil money. Or Bell. But they might not as well. A change has to come sometime. The guy is 78.
Players don’t voluntarily transfer down and we haven’t seen many Duke->Kentucky types of transfers.

If our guys get offered huge bags and a starting role at a blue blood all bets are off but I think we can convince most to stay.

Players don’t voluntarily transfer down and we haven’t seen many Duke->Kentucky types of transfers.

If our guys get offered huge bags and a starting role at a blue blood all bets are off but I think we can convince most to stay.

Depends what counts as ‘down’ I suppose. Sentiment here is that there are about 60 teams ahead of us.

Those guys will get jobs. They are respected outside of Syracuse. There's an argument to be made that JB has held them back.

LOL!!!

Like Dino held back HALF of his coaching staff this last offseason?? :rolleyes:

IF Red, Griff, or GMac were desired coaches by other programs, they'd have gotten offers, and been mentioned as candidates when X coaching slot opens up.

They NEVER are.
That's quite telling.

It is also why it would be gross malfeasance for JW to promote from within.
There is ZERO reason to go with a continuity hire, when the current trajectory isn't remotely worth continuing.
Syracuse can find better coaches anywhere else. And MUST do so.

Can multiple things be true at once or only one thing?
He has multiple opportunities to leave with grace and dignity, but he chose not to. He is still employed by the university let’s not forget that

Can multiple things be true at once or only one thing?

So the truths you have stated are:

1. JAB was planning on retiring at end of 2024 (speculation)
2. The fans are at fault for not behaving in a conducive manner to allow for this exit

What are your other truths?

He has multiple opportunities to leave with grace and dignity, but he chose not to. He is still employed by the university let’s not forget that .

I’m saying it is in our own best interests as fans to chill out a little.

This is a little like a guest who overstayed their welcome but started opening the door to leave. Just let them leave, don’t kick ‘em in the butt.

But, again, I feel strongly that he wasn’t going to be here through 2024. If somebody is of the opinion that he was still sitting on the couch eating chips, then yeah, I see kicking him out.

Like Dino held back HALF of his coaching staff this last offseason?? :rolleyes:

IF Red, Griff, or GMac were desired coaches by other programs, they'd have gotten offers, and been mentioned as candidates when X coaching slot opens up.

They NEVER are.
That's quite telling.

It is also why it would be gross malfeasance for JW to promote from within.
There is ZERO reason to go with a continuity hire, when the current trajectory isn't remotely worth continuing.
Syracuse can find better coaches anywhere else. And MUST do so.

Great post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom