Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
IU has WON 10 tourney games since their Mike Davis final four run in 2002 with Knight's players. 10 including last year's first four win.

We've won 12 in the last 10 years since our current "downturn" began. I guarantee you there isn't one IU fan that wouldn't trade places for those results. Trust me, I'm surrounded by them.
Knight did a lot of critical damage to the program…

I can't honestly believe that there are people/fans who have seen the trajectory of our program the last ten years and then what has happened the past week in the press that still want JB to stay and remain our coach for as long as he wants? It is mind boggling to me that you think JB is still the best moving forward and he is out there doing the job to the fullest and representing this University in a positive light? Seems crazy.

I’m saying it is in our own best interests as fans to chill out a little.

This is a little like a guest who overstayed their welcome but started opening the door to leave. Just let them leave, don’t kick ‘em in the butt.

But, again, I feel strongly that he wasn’t going to be here through 2024. If somebody is of the opinion that he was still sitting on the couch eating chips, then yeah, I see kicking him out.
Chill? We need to kick him out….he is chitting all over the place and making a stinking mess of things. It’s wretched.

I can't honestly believe that there are people/fans who have seen the trajectory of our program the last ten years and then what has happened the past week in the press that still want JB to stay and remain our coach for as long as he wants? It is mind boggling to me that you think JB is still the best moving forward and he is out there doing the job to the fullest and representing this University in a positive light? Seems crazy.
Unfortunately, there's a pot of people who just believe JB can not do wrong and are blindly faithful to him. He's a big name in upstate NY and people have attached their wagon to him. It's honestly painful to watch and see these folks cap for him in ways that just SHOCKS me but it is what it is.

I view the program as a business...in no way, shape or form would a CEO stay at the helm of a company with these same, mediocre results. Maybe I'm jaded because I work in a uber, aggressive field where solely results matter but yeah.

Two things can be true...we can appreciate ALL the things the man has done for the program and he was paid millions of dollars in doing so but we also can agree that he's past his time and it's time for him to hang it up.

But also, the man will NOT be fired. The PR nightmare would be horrible. Now, I'm betting there will be some behind close door talks that will happen maybe this offseason or next but what that time happens, he will not be fired unless something major happens of his doing

Chill? We need to kick him out….he is chitting all over the place and making a stinking mess of things. It’s wretched.

Kicking him out doesn't help us, the fans, though. I mean, it could be cathartic, but lynch mobs rarely - probably never - have good results.

I can't know what everyone is thinking inside her or his head, but to me, it at least comes off as being a fan of JB vs a fan of Cuse.

It's easy to say they are one and the same because of what JB has done for the school (which, again, is tremendous and he's been compensated and awarded for it), but they aren't.

I think, minimally, having a public-facing exit plan is the absolute least that should happen. The fact that that isn't the case is pretty crazy to me.

Unless, of course, JB has been enabled by his supporters to have god-like control over his exit, regardless of the number of probations, the blown up transition, the many-year downturn we are on, the comments that embarrass the school, the comments that trash the players, etc.

Nobody cares what someone's kenpom score was. You don't hang banners or print tshirts for kenpom scores. Tournament success is all that matters.

What is "success" to you? IMO a S16 does not make up for the poor regular seasons. I rather trade two 2014esque seasons where we thought we had an outside shot at the national title for the 2018 and 2021 seasons. It was fun to make those runs but we all knew it was only a matter of time.

If a team is bringing you joy from November till mid March, and gives you the hope of something special... is that not better than a frustrating November till mid March but with a fun 2 weeks where you have no real shot at anything special? In the end, all but one team leaves the NCAAT disappointed.

And do you really think we are trending in the right direction there? Sure, there is a chance that things don't improve or get even worse with a coaching change. But shouldn't you at least try to fix things if they are trending in the wrong direction?

You realize it's going to have to happen sometime - right?
Exactly, like what are we holding onto??

We're holding onto being a bubble team at best, based on the last 8 years?

2019 was last tournament as an 8 seed where were not sweating on Sunday.

22-Missed
21-11 Seed S16
20-Tourney Canceled (not in consideration for at large)
19-8 Seed 1st Rd
18-10 Seed S16
17-NIT
16-10 Seed (Final 4)
15-Tourney Ban
14-3 Seed 2nd Rd

From 16 on were at best an 8 seed and more often a double digit seed, wooo!

I can't honestly believe that there are people/fans who have seen the trajectory of our program the last ten years and then what has happened the past week in the press that still want JB to stay and remain our coach for as long as he wants?

Are there many/any of those?

At this point he almost has to be hoping for some type of colossal meltdown. Which would leave him with no other option and 100% public sentiment behind him.
Hopefully that doesn't happen, the best thing would be for Juli, and the family to get him to retire at the end of the year.
I don't think anyone wants a Bobby Knight type of situation to tarnish all the good from 45+ years.

Nobody cares what someone's kenpom score was. You don't hang banners or print tshirts for kenpom scores. Tournament success is all that matters.
So if you don't get to the S16, then the season was a bust? Seems harsh, but OK. If a coach doesn't make the S16 3 years in a row, then they should be canned.

Hopefully that doesn't happen, the best thing would be for Juli, and the family to get him to retire at the end of the year.
I don't think anyone wants a Bobby Knight type of situation to tarnish all the good from 45+ years.
My Wife said to me, doesnt his wife want to do something other than waiting for him to retire and maybe she doesnt like it when he is around all the time and likes him out of the house

Pretty sure in at least Taylor's case that Gmac is his guy. Not sure about Brown...But either way recruiting these days is only a guarantee for one year anyway.
Gmac isn’t Taylor’s “guy.” That’s not how it works. All our coaches are involved in recruiting a player. And the players develop relationships with all the coaches once they’re on campus.

Gmac isn’t Taylor’s “guy.” That’s not how it works. All our coaches are involved in recruiting a player. And the players develop relationships with all the coaches once they’re on campus.
Listen to his interview with Devendorf last week.

The one part of this that won't happen IMO is other coaches coming after Boeheim. Forbes and Capel took a pass. My brother was a basketball coach for like 10 years at the small D1 level and I went to the final 4 with him 3 times. I had multiple head coaches and assistants tell me he was their favorite coach and something along the lines of every coach loves Boeheim. He loves coaches and talks about their teams to them and watches so much more basketball than most coaches do. If Boeheim treated the media the same way he treats other coaches this would be a very different situation. He can't do it though because he doesn't like them.

So he has no relationship with his position coach Adrian Autry?
I didn't say that at all. All I can say is listen to the interview and you make your own judgement.

My Wife said to me, doesnt his wife want to do something other than waiting for him to retire and maybe she doesnt like it when he is around all the time and likes him out of the house
It shouldn’t matter if they can’t be in the same room with each other for more than 10 minutes. That’s not our problem. Regardless there should be plenty of things to get him out of the house in Skaneateles.

22-Missed
21-11 Seed S16
19-8 Seed 1st Rd
18-10 Seed S16
17-NIT
16-10 Seed (Final 4)
15-Tourney Ban
14-3 Seed 2nd Rd

- 18 was actually an 11 seed play in game, not 10 seed.

-16 when we went to the final four we probably only made the tournament because Hopkins coached 9 games that year. They definitely took that into consideration. No telling what our record would have been if Jim coached the entire year. But only reason we made the tournament was because Jim was out for those 9 games.

- 15 was a self imposed tournament ban in February when we knew we were not making the tournament.

22-Missed
21-11 Seed S16
19-8 Seed 1st Rd
18-10 Seed S16
17-NIT
16-10 Seed (Final 4)
15-Tourney Ban
14-3 Seed 2nd Rd

JB is the one who recently said the postseason is the only thing that matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom