Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
I want to clarify my position - I don't have a problem with Red, GMac, or Hop being included in the list of candidates. I just want the University to perform due diligence, and hire the BEST coach that we possibly can. If Wildhack does that, and we can't scare any candidates up who are better than the ones already here [which I would find difficult to believe], then there's your outcome.

But I'm completely against artificially constraining the candidate pool based upon what amounts to a "nice to have" criteria [i.e., former ties to the program] over far more important "need to have criteria."

Someone stated earlier in the last day that this decision is how Wildhack's tenure will be judged. He'd better get it right.
I’m sure Wildhack will sit down with Red, Gerry and Hop, but I hope he speaks with other candidates too. The questions asked are crucial. Not just what they see happening in college now, but what they foresee ten years from now? What are you looking for in today’s student athletes? Style of play, NIL, portal, how will you engage with the community, what he or she sees currently lacking in the program, what we need to move into the upper echelon of the ACC, what are you looking for in your staff, how will you engage with Otto’s Army, graduation rates, and how will you oversee the program to make sure we stay in compliance with NCAA rules and regulations. There should be a blackboard session too. Last second situations, including sideline, full court, etc. How will you move the program forward with the abilities of todays players? What’s your philosophy? This is just a start. Put them on the court with players (shouldn’t be with current players) and let each candidate demonstrate what they would do with inbounds plays and end of game situations. At some point in the near future, taking a timeout in the final minute of play will allow you to take the ball to mid court after a timeout. Women and the NBA already do this. This is game changing. You better have multiple sideline plays ready to go because it will totally change the end of games. COMMUNICATION!! -with players, staff, compliance, academic support, AD, MEDIA, Alumni, parents, students, and fans. This is a start. Wildhack better have an interview committee that’s diverse and specialized (Satalin, Belien, etc.). The AD shouldn’t just rely on himself. He’s not a basketball expert. This should be thorough and exhausting. You don’t get a second chance. Get it right. This is a start. There’s a lot more than mentioned here. Don’t forget how these candidates are perceived by HS coaches, AAU, college coaches, agents, etc. Good luck. Please add your own thoughts. As fans, maybe we provide ideas for JW.

I just hope our new coach doesn't play m2m defense.

That defense gets shredded by shooters in almost every game I watch. Low key, really bad defensive scheme.

:)

Probably should be it’s own thread, but I’m lazy.

For the folks like RF2044 who want a clean break after JB leaves (I’m one of those people by the way), pretend you’re part of the hiring committee. Is there anything that our current assistants could say during their interviews that would give you pause and allow them to continue in the process?

I‘m having a hard time thinking of any, and I also fear I might not believe them.
Good question.
You'd pretty much have to throw JB under the bus and be very critical of what has been going on, and represent yourself as change. The problem is that you have no way of demonstrating that you truly know how to execute those changes and won't just revert back to the only thing you know once you encounter challenges.

So, no—if i'm hiring, i can't imagine anything they could say, unless it were a guilt trip: you can't fire a staff of loyal 'cuse alums.

I want Jim to coach next year and go out on a positive note. He deserves that.
He already got that opportunity when he ran Hop off and tore up the agreement. He got to coach his sons and had a losing season with both of them. It hasn't worked. Thank you for your commitment to the University, your name is on the court and on the side of the arena. Here is your going away / retirement card, we all signed it.
Passing Office Space GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Making foolish comments that you later have to backtrack on and change;

I’m sure Wildhack will sit down with Red, Gerry and Hop, but I hope he speaks with other candidates too. The questions asked are crucial. Not just what they see happening in college now, but what they foresee ten years from now? What are you looking for in today’s student athletes? Style of play, NIL, portal, how will you engage with the community, what he or she sees currently lacking in the program, what we need to move into the upper echelon of the ACC, what are you looking for in your staff, how will you engage with Otto’s Army, graduation rates, and how will you oversee the program to make sure we stay in compliance with NCAA rules and regulations. There should be a blackboard session too. Last second situations, including sideline, full court, etc. How will you move the program forward with the abilities of todays players? What’s your philosophy? This is just a start. Put them on the court with players (shouldn’t be with current players) and let each candidate demonstrate what they would do with inbounds plays and end of game situations. At some point in the near future, taking a timeout in the final minute of play will allow you to take the ball to mid court after a timeout. Women and the NBA already do this. This is game changing. You better have multiple sideline plays ready to go because it will totally change the end of games. COMMUNICATION!! -with players, staff, compliance, academic support, AD, MEDIA, Alumni, parents, students, and fans. This is a start. Wildhack better have an interview committee that’s diverse and specialized (Satalin, Belien, etc.). The AD shouldn’t just rely on himself. He’s not a basketball expert. This should be thorough and exhausting. You don’t get a second chance. Get it right. This is a start. There’s a lot more than mentioned here. Don’t forget how these candidates are perceived by HS coaches, AAU, college coaches, agents, etc. Good luck. Please add your own thoughts. As fans, maybe we provide ideas for JW.
The AD (or an "interviewing committee") asking candidates about specific plays or other on-court tactics is a great way to get pegged as a micromanager who doesn't see the big picture.

The AD (or an "interviewing committee") asking candidates about specific plays or other on-court tactics is a great way to get pegged as a micromanager who doesn't see the big picture.
You better know this before you pay someone millions of dollars. If they take an interview as micromanaging, then you don’t want them as your coach. The idea is, can your candidate think on their feet and handle high pressure situations? I’ve interviewed many people and they interviewed great, but when they were put in a hands on situation, they fell flat on their face. It’s called doing your job.

This.

Plus, JB had his opportunity to tap the scepter to Hop's shoulder and decided not to do it, and then proceeded to ride the program down into mediocrity for numerous years and icing the cake with a vanity family-ball year. No offense to Red or Gmac, but he hasn't exactly left the table set for either of them - not in the slightest.

It should be a national search at this point and we should get the best candidate we can afford. You can't reward internally now based on how far the program has fallen. If they do that, it will mean they are doing it on the cheap and hoping for the best. I am not going to lie, I could see them doing this anyways.

I would support Red or Gmac either way for a fair shake of 3 years and hope either succeeds, of course, but that would be a small-time move by the school to go that route at this point.
Not necessarily true. Because of NIL the supporters of the basketball program have to be considered.
Nate Oats wont win without talent. Talent wont come to Syracuse without NIL supporters. That unfortunately is a fact.
So its not as simple as just hiring a good coach.

I think it's very simple: Our recent recruiting isn't nearly good enough to give the head job to a current member of the staff.

Syracuse is Syracuse because Jim Boeheim could recruit his a.s.s. off back in the day. We need someone running the show who can get big-time players back to CNY. Period.

No one on this staff can do that.

He already got that opportunity when he ran Hop off and tore up the agreement. He got to coach his sons and had a losing season with both of them. It hasn't worked. Thank you for your commitment to the University, your name is on the court and on the side of the arena. Here is your going away / retirement card, we all signed it.
Passing Office Space GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
I think coaching his family - arguably at the expense of the program - eliminated anything the school owed him. We need to take the program back, by force if necessary.

I'm far from a recuitnik, so I was just doing some homework...

According to 247sports, in the past six seasons (starting with the incoming 2017 class through 2022) we've brought in 3 high schoolers who were ranked in their top 100.

In the six seasons prior to that (2011-2016) we brought in 15.

That's the problem, and that's why we need to go outside the current staff for our next HC.

According to 247sports, in the past six seasons (starting with the incoming 2017 class through 2022) we've brought in 3 high schoolers who were ranked in their top 100.

That's the problem, and that's why we need to go outside the current staff for our next HC.
Wonder what happened around 2016.
Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

I want to clarify my position - I don't have a problem with Red, GMac, or Hop being included in the list of candidates. I just want the University to perform due diligence, and hire the BEST coach that we possibly can. If Wildhack does that, and we can't scare any candidates up who are better than the ones already here [which would be nearly impossible to believe], then there's your outcome.

But I'm completely against artificially constraining the candidate pool based upon what amounts to a "nice to have" criteria [i.e., former ties to the program] over far more important "need to have criteria." If AW talks the talk about due diligence, then announces that the top 2 candidates are internal, I won't be happy.

Someone stated earlier in the last day that this decision is how Wildhack's tenure as AD for his alma mater will be judged. He'd better get it right. The way to do that is not to handcuff yourself to artificially limited options.

Hire the best coach you can. Period.
Great take. So if we are to take the best coach available, and it comes down to Red or John Belein Who would/should we hire?

That is astounding. There is so much evidence to support a need to move on, but this one really seals the deal.

I think it's very simple: Our recent recruiting isn't nearly good enough to give the head job to a current member of the staff.

Syracuse is Syracuse because Jim Boeheim could recruit his a.s.s. off back in the day. We need someone running the show who can get big-time players back to CNY. Period.

I doubt any coach can land a top 100 kid without NIL support.

And we can't do it if we continue to play zone; zone is a recruitment killer.

And we can't do it if we continue to play zone; zone is a recruitment killer.

Did you read Adams latest interview?

No it isn't.
Even if somehow a few recruits don’t mind the zone, the scheme is a horrible fit in 2023 especially when there is no commitment to any other type of defense.

Even if somehow a few recruits don’t mind the zone, the scheme is a horrible fit in 2023 especially when there is no commitment to any other type of defense.

They want to shoot it and score.

Half the teams lose every night playing man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom