Doug Marrone | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

People are most mad at him because he left .

I think they are mad bcause he's a d bag and a liar who quit when he saw it might get tough. And the way he quit messed up a recruiting class and left everyone feeling like they just found out the nice loaf of bread they'd been enjoying was filled with mold. You can't wash away the filth of that guy.

When you get a real coach here and compare the differences he only looks worse.

Marrone is the kind of guy you wish you'd never wasted your time on - based on reports the marrone experience is similar whether you are a friend, colleague, player, boss, I'm guessing wife... You always realize the bread was Moldy the whole time and you sat there eating it thinking it was pretty good.

People are most mad at him because he left .
Disagree, I was never mad and I was one of his biggest supporters. Disappointed, sure, but how do you begrudge a guy bettering his personal situation?

The people I've talked to about it were anything but mad that he left.

Maybe I'm mistaken about this but I had heard that he asked for raises for his staff and was told no . So he then took this staff to Buffalo and gave them raises anyways . SS and Bullough stayed and moved up and got a raise as well .:noidea:

Could very well be, as we were in different financial circumstances as part of the BE conference than we are now. But again, that would fuel why he left, which most aren't really mad about [ counter to what you assert above].

And Bullough was a Shafer hire.

And guess what, it was short term. I have seen messes in the business world and military be turned around by firm but fair managers who didn't feel the need to alienate good people. But, if you say it has to be a special type of douche to turn things around in college football, who am I to argue?
You are citing anecdotes that I have not seen first hand . I can say the the mess at SU was of the level of a dumpster fire and not your garden variety restructuring .

I think what Paulus was able to do in his one season here just months after finishing a four-year basketball career is as underappreciated as anything in the program's history.
I have such mixed feelings on Paulus, because I agree with you and it really was an amazing transition, but I also feel there was some weird late game juju around Paulus and wished that we had seen more of Nassib that year.

I don't buy that--most people don't begrudge him for leaving for an NFL job.

What they're upset about is that he decimated the existing staff on the way out the door, which put his alma mater in a bad position to sustain the success he'd had.
Exactly, and the way he took the OC. Saying no he won't take him. Oops my other choice(s) said no? Hey Nathaniel wanna come? Never mind you're sitting at the desk ready to literally sign your contract to stay at SU (or so I'm told by some insiders up there), put the pen down and come on over to Buffalo.

Yep there's a guy who was really concerned about his alma maters well being. What a POS person. Good coach who helped right the ship here sure, but talk about burning bridges.

Can't wait to see the reaction of fans when he comes back to be honored for something, oops wait, ain't EVER going to happen. And rightfully so.

I think they are mad bcause he's a d bag and a liar who quit when he saw it might get tough. And the way he quit messed up a recruiting class and left everyone feeling like they just found out the nice loaf of bread they'd been enjoying was filled with mold. You can't wash away the filth of that guy.

When you get a real coach here and compare the differences he only looks worse.

Marrone is the kind of guy you wish you'd never wasted your time on - based on reports the marrone experience is similar whether you are a friend, colleague, player, boss, I'm guessing wife... You always realize the bread was Moldy the whole time and you sat there eating it thinking it was pretty good.
The owners of the Saints and many more high level people only have good things to say about him .

I have such mixed feelings on Paulus, because I agree with you and it really was an amazing transition, but I also feel there was some weird late game juju around Paulus and wished that we had seen more of Nassib that year.

His arm was dead halfway through the season. Kinda happens when you don't play for 4 years. I think we should have seen more of Nassib once that was apparent.

The owners of the Saints and many more high level people only have good things to say about him .

What's he done since then ?

Why do you have such a hard on for him? I get you think he saved us I think he was false hope and not a good person. But you defend him to the last.

The guy never stayed with one organization for more than 3 years. Most stops were less than 2. There's a reason for that. It's managed to work fairly well for him unless you consider the fact that he appears to be a miserable unhappy winey human being. my partner is assist head of school at a local high school , basically vice principal. Her worst kids take more responsibility and are less winey than this guy.

Anyway agree to disagree I suppose

Marrone left SU with no coaches and little talent and Shafer as his successor. He did a good job his first season (maybe messed up the OC hire). He did a very good job his 2nd season. He went too conservative on O IMO his 3rd season and cost us. He finally got things right halfway through his 4th season. Then finally with some momentum ripped out the rug from underneath which set us back. Since Shafer was a "continuation" that falls partly on Marrone's record. Overall I would give his hire a B- grade.

He wasn't in charge there.

His track record is that people like him more as a soldier than a general.

Moving around is the life of a coach , same as for Dino . Maybe it doesn't matter to a lot of people here that he played on the o-line for MAC and he played in and helped win the game against Nebraska , but to me , that makes him royalty .

Moving around is the life of a coach , same as for Dino . Maybe it doesn't matter to a lot of people here that he played on the o-line for MAC and he played in and helped win the game against Nebraska , but to me , that makes him royalty .

By that logic VA Tech fans should think Vick is a great human being since he brought them to the NCG.

Wasn't mad at him for leaving Syracuse to go to one of the best 30 jobs in football coaching profession.

Was mad at him as a Bills fan for taking the money and running as fast as he could.

And ultimately, I think his ceiling as a head coach at the collegiate level was going to be lower than what Babers' is - so we win out in this scenario, IMO. But I don't harbor any ill will toward the guy.

Just don't really understand what his motives were in making the move from the Bills. Ego, maybe? His agent telling him he was going to get a job if he left and thought he was more marketable than what he actually was? Who knows.

Maybe I'm mistaken about this but I had heard that he asked for raises for his staff and was told no . So he then took this staff to Buffalo and gave them raises anyways . SS and Bullough stayed and moved up and got a raise as well .:noidea:

What people forget is that DM told Gross that he wasn't taking Hackett (and Moore) on the offensive side and Shafer on the defensive side leaving us both coordinators and the WR coach for experience and continuity. Shafer then was offered the head coaching gig with both Gross and Shafer believing that just many of the assistant support staff on both sides would need to be totally replaced.

However shortly after Shafer was announced as SUs new head coach , DM asked Hackett to join him. Gross and Shafer were left in the lurch on the offensive side, where both knew he lacked experience. Whether DM made that move because he couldn't find his preferred offensive coordinator or because he and/or Hackett wanted Hackett to be named SUs head coach etc is unknown, but what SU and Shafer thought was a done deal wasn't. Some people crossed their fingers on that promise. Would SU have hired SS knowing Hackett would leave, would Shafer have been as enthusiastic or have signed the same deal knowing that a new offense would have to be implemented and very quickly? Whether Gross and/or SS got played is also unknown but Shafer was left scrambling from day 1 not only on the recruiting front but coaching especially on the offensive end. That said, we definitely needed a coach Babers who brought a staff knowing his philosophy and who he had worked with as their head coach, so roles were known from day 1 not TBD.

I think what Paulus was able to do in his one season here just months after finishing a four-year basketball career is as underappreciated as anything in the program's history.

Kind of makes you feel bad for the quarterbacks who are devoted to this full-time and can't play the position as well as Paulus did for that one season.

Marrone did a good job cleaning up Gerg Era. However he was left with pieces like Babers.
Gerg and Shafer were the bad HCs.
Marrone is wannabe Belichick. To be Belichick you need to win a lot if Marrone did he could get away with his attitude.
Thank you Marrone for fixing the program but you taking a lot of the staff and leaving so late in the game that Gross hired Shafer. Others have said Marrone told gross he was going to look at the NFL so Gross should have been more ready for a replacement than what he settled for.
Shafer ruined everything Marrone did to make us mediocre.

Kind of makes you feel bad for the quarterbacks who are devoted to this full-time and can't play the position as well as Paulus did for that one season.
Like Cam Dantley? The program was an absolute mess back then. Marrone did what he had to do to try and win games. Cuse wins four games in Marrone's first year. How many fricken games do we win without Paulus.

I think if the Jags make a change they have to give Marrone a temp HC spot, but I would love to see if Coughlin would be considered for next year. Knowing Marrone's history he would probably not accept the interim tag but would want a four year deal. If you are the Jags owner what do you do?

Last edited:

People here see him as both. The good things don't make the bad things untrue or not worth pointing out.

His arm was dead halfway through the season. Kinda happens when you don't play for 4 years. I think we should have seen more of Nassib once that was apparent.
Might be true, but Paulus' stat line in his final game at UConn:

24-32-296-2-0

Paulus was 6-0, 180 pounds soaking wet and the ball looked like a cinderblock in his hands yet he was able to put up impressive passing yards against FBS programs. Still amazes me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom