Class of 2015 - DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI

The part about Florida wanting him to play offense makes me feel better. I'm pretty positive he wants to play DT in college and knock some heads. Hopefully after talking it over with his coach and his parents he makes the right decision. I would really, really hate to have him go there and be disappointed playing a position he doesn't want to play just cause academics might be better suited for him. SU gives him both IMHO, plus early playing time.

If he picks Fla I think he is making a major mistake. they are coming in late scrambling and promising him the world. They will recruit over his head next year and he may never see the field in his 4 years. Moving to offense vs playing D which he has done and playing early assured at SU.

I tried to reply to this earlier, but apparently it disappeared? or something...?
Anyway, what I said was that I agree with this 100% and told Steven as much on Twitter.

You have no idea how badly I was hoping someone would come back with this response.
Gah! I passed because I thought it was too easy.

I guarantee you, if Clark signs with us, there will be much rejoicing, and we won't even have to eat any minstrels.

The part about Florida wanting him to play offense makes me feel better. I'm pretty positive he wants to play DT in college and knock some heads. Hopefully after talking it over with his coach and his parents he makes the right decision. I would really, really hate to have him go there and be disappointed playing a position he doesn't want to play just cause academics might be better suited for him. SU gives him both IMHO, plus early playing time.
That has to be our hope. He can play the position he wants here, for a guy who puts players into the NFL, and the academics are (probably) not too far behind - not enough to be a deal breaker if you really want a shot at an NFL paycheck.

I was implying if it was 2 or 3, and give them to preferred walk-ons, and then use the 2 or 3 and use them next class.

Or we could get some kid we haven't even talked to yet 10 days before NSD.

We could get the next Jay Bromley in June...

Marrone publicly said he always wanted to keep a scholly in his back pocket for a kid not looked at with a ton of potential. Bromley was the guy...and still is.

That has to be our hope. He can play the position he wants here, for a guy who puts players into the NFL, and the academics are (probably) not too far behind - not enough to be a deal breaker if you really want a shot at an NFL paycheck.
That, and we know that he and his family love Shafer and Daoust. Fingers crossed the relationship forged there is strong enough to give Steven some serious pause about going Gator.

You realize they give walk-ons scholarships every year right? Saving 2 or 3 won't kill you.
Last resort 1st.

Camt be a game plan.

This scenario reminds me of Darrin Kitchens, chose UF over Cuse when Marrone left. He got some burn, finished his career with 59 tackles in mostly special teams & back up role. Nothing wrong with that but he likely starts for at least a couple years if he came to Cuse.

Being 6-3, 290 with his strength and power already...I mean, this is a kid who could be starting in the middle of our D-line by his second year in the program (redshirt frosh, or true soph...depends on whether he'd get PT that first year). I salivate at having a run stopper like Steven helping our front seven become great.

Fingers crossed he sticks with us, but really, good luck to him wherever he goes.

Kelly029x said:
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"You shall be careful to do what has passed your lips, for you have voluntarily vowed to the Lord your God what you have promised with your mouth."

"You shall be careful to do what has passed your lips, for you have voluntarily vowed to the Lord your God what you have promised with your mouth."
Now Jake, I think guilt tripping only works if he's Jewish.

*rimshot*

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Jeremiah 29:11? I may be slightly off...

Kelly029x said:

image-949626822.jpg

I think the distance ends up being our downfall. Especially with such a seemingly close knit family. Still holding out hope tho. Think he could have a chance to be very successful here.

8hrs via car vs 2-3 via plane is that really much different

We
I think the distance ends up being our downfall. Especially with such a seemingly close knit family. Still holding out hope tho. Think he could have a chance to be very successful here.
We are a very close knit family, Trey is one of five. And we told him it was his choice and we would move heaven and earth to go see him play wherever he chose. And talking with Steve's parents, they said the same thing :)

Cost and travel for games for family was the reference. Driving vs. flying for 6 home games for multiple family members.

Just a thought. Obviously, I want him in Orange. He could be a game changer at a big position of need.

He'll look awesome wearing a Syracuse Uniform. Sometimes the "bigs" don't see the special potential in a kid and look at you as a number.

Let me give my pitch to him:
We saw his potential and never wavered. Here, we are a family and root for you when your on the field, stand by you when family is sick, and teach you some of life's lessons. We create men who can be something great both on the field and more importantly in the classroom. Yeah, we are further away from your parents but, here you can make yourself into what you want. You will be your own man and have a new family that doesn't look at you as a number. Create a new path and help raise this program up from mediocrity. Your the next piece to our puzzle. Heck you don't have to play in the snow when you're up here. It's a dome.
Anyway, a Syracuse jersey looked better on you anyway. And the ladies will love the southern accent. I'm just saying.

He'll look awesome wearing a Syracuse Uniform. Sometimes the "bigs" don't see the special potential in a kid and look at you as a number.

Let me give my pitch to him:
We saw his potential and never wavered. Here, we are a family and root for you when your on the field, stand by you when family is sick, and teach you some of life's lessons. We create men who can be something great both on the field and more importantly in the classroom. Yeah, we are further away from your parents but, here you can make yourself into what you want. You will be your own man and have a new family that doesn't look at you as a number. Create a new path and help raise this program up from mediocrity. Your the next piece to our puzzle. Heck you don't have to play in the snow when you're up here. It's a dome.
Anyway, a Syracuse jersey looked better on you anyway. And the ladies will love the southern accent. I'm just saying.
Great pitch!! ;)

The last recruit I got caught up really wanting to come here was good ol' Ebenezer O. Since that 'historic' thread, I just want any recruit that signs to be here because he wants to be here, not because he doesn't have another option. It's easier...at least for me. ;)

We could get the next Jay Bromley in June...

Marrone publicly said he always wanted to keep a scholly in his back pocket for a kid not looked at with a ton of potential. Bromley was the guy...and still is.

Not comparing apples and apples. Bromley blew up at an All-Star game, nobody knew who the kid was. Marrone didn't have an extra scholly laying around just in case, he had an extra one laying around because we didn't sign our scholarship limit that year. It wasn't a choice to have an extra. Players going to MAC schools are already known, if the staff thought any of them might have potential we would have offered already or showed "conditional" interest. And for every Bromley, there are 10 kids that never see the field.