Duce Chestnut transferring back to the 'Cuse | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Duce Chestnut transferring back to the 'Cuse

The kid obviously didn't fit at LSU he is a player this is great for him and SU.
He’s a 4 star kid, was a 4 star in the portal last year, was good enough to be NIL recruited to a major SEC power, was a freshman AA and All ACC performer - we may just all need to collectively get over ourselves :confused:

Let’s say he was at Pitt or Louisville first and was coming to us now out of the portal from LSU with that background and Fran’s seal of approval as NCAA DB Coach of the Year and #1 Recruiter - would anyone be questioning this?

Last edited:
He’s a 4 star kid, was a 4 star in the portal last year, was good enough to be NIL recruited to a major SEC power, was a freshman AA and All ACC performer - we may just all need to collectively get over ourselves :confused:

Let’s say he was at Pitt or Louisville first and was coming to us now out of the portal from LSU with that background and Fran’s seal of approval - would anyone be questioning this?
I said before you stack talent and let the chips fall where they may.
LSU's defense wasn't very good against Wisconsin, so maybe their Defensive Coordinator isn't very good.

LSU's defense wasn't very good against Wisconsin, so maybe their Defensive Coordinator isn't very good.
Agree 1000% especially if we have the room.

I watch a lot of LSU football. Its the worse defense Ive seen from them. Some blame goes on the coaches and some go on the players. The DB's were getting torched all season. Duce would have helped.

This is our CB depth right now:

Jayden Bellamy
Greg Delaine
Cornell Perry
Duce Chestnut (TR)
Ta’ron Haile (HS) (assuming he projects here)
Braheem Long (HS) (assuming he projects here)

If we had a game tomorrow who are you picking as the starting 2 corners? Duce is one for me.

Now what I want to see added to this are 2 more high quality guys, so that our top 4 is those 2, Duce and Bellamy. Now you’ve got some depth and some options.
Here's the DBs listed on the roster per Cuse.com coming back as of today (they don't list as Safety, Cornerback):

A. Clark 6'1 186
J. Simmons 6'0 198 (Update:Out of eligibility )
J. BARRON 6'4 231
Jaedon Gould 6'2 205
Jalil Martin 6'2 190
Cornell Perry 6'1 192
Myles Farmer 6'3 200
Jayden Bellamy 6'0 190
Berry Buxton 6'2 205
Greg Delaine 6'0 190

Have added
Deuce Chestnut 5'11 205
Devin Grant 6'4 190
Taron Haile 6'0 170 (probably a receiver)
Braheem Long 5"11 165 (probably a receiver)

In running for
Chappell A&M starting DB
AJ Harris Georgia
Barnes HS All Star Tennessee.
Humes: getting a visit in January

Last edited:
Here's the DBs listed on the roster per Cuse.com coming back as of today (they don't list as Safety, Cornerback):

A. Clark 6'1 186
J. Simmons 6'0 198
J. BARRON 6'4 231
Jaedon Gould 6'2 205
Jalil Martin 6'2 190
Cornell Perry 6'1 192
Myles Farmer 6'3 200
Jayden Bellamy 6'0 190
Berry Buxton 6'2 205
Greg Delaine 6'0 190

Have added
Deuce Chestnut 5'11 205
Devin Grant 6'4 190

In running for
Chappell A&M starting DB
AJ Harris Georgia

I think Simmons is out of eligibility.

Played 2019 at New Mex St

Transferred with 3 years of eligibility left.

The only thing I’m never sure of is if and when you can get an extra Covid year.

A. Clark 6'1 186
J. Simmons 6'0 198
J. BARRON 6'4 231
Jaedon Gould 6'2 205
Jalil Martin 6'2 190
Cornell Perry 6'1 192
Myles Farmer 6'3 200
Jayden Bellamy 6'0 190
Berry Buxton 6'2 205
Greg Delaine 6'0 190

Have added
Deuce Chestnut 5'11 205
Devin Grant 6'4 190

In running for
Chappell A&M starting DB
AJ Harris Georgia
You can take Simmons off the list. He’s done.

Buxton was a corner at SBCC and has 2 years left, but I’m not sure if he’s good enough to be on the 2 deep at corner here.

Clark / Farmer / Gould / Martin - safeties

Barron - probably played the S/Lber position (Star?)

Bellamy / Delaine / Perry - corners

The only thing I’m never sure of is if and when you can get an extra Covid year.

If you were on a team in 2020, the Covid year never happened.

If you were a frosh in 2020, and you redshirted in 2021, you can stay in school through 2025. I think Pena and Sparrow are the last two. All the other Covid kids will be gone after 2024.

You can take Simmons off the list. He’s done.

Buxton was a corner at SBCC and has 2 years left, but I’m not sure if he’s good enough to be on the 2 deep at corner here.

Clark / Farmer / Gould / Martin - safeties

Barron - probably played the S/Lber position (Star?)

Bellamy / Delaine / Perry - corners
Yep updated it in the prior post. If Barron and Grant start, Clark isn't going to come off the bench. Clark will move to corner. I expect Fran will play around guys and see what's what.

Yep updated it in the prior post. If Barron and Grant start, Clark isn't going to come off the bench. Clark will move to corner. I expect Fran will play around guys and see what's what.
I would not have Barron any where near the back end of the defense. He needs to play the field or to the wr's strength. Thats where he's best at. Unless he plays SS and they invert him most of the time.

Last edited:
I would not have Barron any where near the back end of the defense. He needs to be play the field or to the wr's strength. Thats where he's best at. Unless he plays SS and they invert him most of the time.
Yeah I’m thinking we see Clark/Gould/Farmer/Grant as your safety rotation. A lot of talent there.

He's back

party GIF

I would not have Barron any where near the back end of the defense. He needs to play the field or to the wr's strength. Thats where he's best at. Unless he plays SS and they invert him most of the time.
So in a 4-2-5 he wouldn’t be the SS? If not where does he slot?

Assuming its a 4-2-5. He would be a hybrid OLB/S. Plays the field or wr strength. Hook/curl player. Some man to man vs TE/RB's
IF Fran/ERob go with something like Georgia’s hybrid-nickel position ("Star"):

"It’s a crucial part of Kirby Smart’s defense that has evolved as Smart and Georgia remain on the cutting edge of defending modern offenses. The position has the responsibilities of both a weak side linebacker and a nickel back. With the proliferation of RPOs, screens, and read options, the star plays a key role in defending each, without having to swap between two or three different players."

Georgia's Star Position

IF Fran/ERob go with something like Georgia’s hybrid-nickel position ("Star"):

"It’s a crucial part of Kirby Smart’s defense that has evolved as Smart and Georgia remain on the cutting edge of defending modern offenses. The position has the responsibilities of both a weak side linebacker and a nickel back. With the proliferation of RPOs, screens, and read options, the star plays a key role in defending each, without having to swap between two or three different players."

Georgia's Star Position
Yes thats what I was describing. Its a common position, Teams just have a different name for it. You have to remember ERob and Wright are both coming from systems they ran. SU's scheme might not be what Fran ran at Georgia. TAMU ran similar stuff as Georgia. Has the Jack OLB. Some call it a Buck ( edge defender). Buffalo ran mostly a 4 man front. Not sure how much influence Wright will have. We have to wait for spring ball to find out.

Last edited:
Well the other thing is that the college football DB coach of the year is our head coach. If him wanting Duce on the roster isn’t good enough for people, then it says more about the person lol.

He did regress his sophomore year, that’s not debateable. But if he wasn’t going to be a contributor here, Fran wouldn’t want him.
I don’t think it was as much a regression but going from mostly having Garrett cover the teams #1 to Duce having to cover #1’s his sophomore year (Unless they just played their side and didn’t travel?). I think we all saw the same thing happen to Isiah Johnson this year. Not many college programs have 2 high level WR’s so i understand getting beat more his sophomore year.

Not sure what happened at LSU? Certainly big time culture shock going from Camden/Syracuse to Baton Rogue? Learning new defense? More $ in his pocket? Injury nobody knew about? Who knows but as I beat that horse dead last year we were losing an all-ACC , would be upperclassman, who was easily the best corner on our team. Even if his coverage was a little suspect his soph yr he was always a sure tackler. I do find it quite funny a majority of people were just brushing off losing him and Carter, and thinking everything was going to be fine. As it stands right now he is the best corner on our roster….. Then again I think we only have 2 ACC level corners so we need to continue to address the position.

Last edited:
Lequint Allen
Juwaun Price
M. Parkman
JJ Branham
Yasmin Willis (HS)
Jaden Hart (HS)

I think you could potentially look at someone who is more like Willis so you have some depth at that larger type of back that is a receiving threat as well and swap out Branham. Or if this is suitable depth for all looks without Branham then use that spot for a higher priority position.

Did Branham really only play in 1 game this year?
Yea a name isn’t exactly depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom