Ennis deadline | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis deadline

Bottomline is, under the current system, if you are a sure bet first round pick you go pro.
I generally agree with this statement as a rule of thumb. What gets me (and other SU fans too, I surmise) are all the dudes that would be clear 1st round picks, if not lotto picks, who somehow break the rule of thumb and end up staying in school - Harrell, Smart, Harris (last year), Burke (after his frosh season), Kaminsky, Cauley-Stein, etc etc etc… Why can't we ever have a guy break the rule of thumb?

And was a 4th scoring option against tough physical defense.

IMO, harder for him to get a good shot last year then someone like southerland as a screen/motion pull up shooter. And Southerland was a legit 2nd sometimes 1st scoring option imo.
Granted, southerland was a senior that prepped vs third year soph.

Once again thats no knock on cooney either, hes a extrememly hard worker.
This post wasn't just nonsense. Shame on you. Cooney had nothing to do with ennis decision.

Guys come back because they feel their team could be good the next year.
Jabari parker, marcus smart, peyton siva (after his final four run), maybe Napier is a good example also. Lamb from Kentucky, ect.

The players around them like Kaleb(a guy who can score off the dribble or shoot over alittle pressure) count.

Last edited:
Guys come back because they feel their team could be good the next year.
Jabari parker, marcus smart, peyton siva (after his final four run), maybe Napier is a good example also.

The players around them like Kaleb(a guy who can score off the dribble or shoot over alittle pressure) count.
yep. Ennis looked at Cooney and said I have to get away from this guy. He wil ruin everything. Forget that we have a sr center. That Grant may stay if I do under orangefan13's model. We would be terrific. If only not for Cooney. And his 38%.

Who said Ennis is leaving because of Cooney? I reread the posts above and haven't heard anyone say that.

I will admit I said one of the factors that could impact ennis decision is a lack of sg who can shoot off the dribble or against pressure though. And yes I think if ennis did come back kaleb would be a awnser to that and get some good minutes together on the floor, even as a freshmen vs a 4th year jr. I thought it was already official grant was gone as well.

Where do I sit with Cooney?? I understand all the cooney hate threads, and I was never one of them. After watching triche for his first 3 years I kinda feel the same way about cooney that I did about triche. Triche never developed the outside shot I hoped for, and never had the killer game to get into the lane at will. But as time rolled on he started getting into the lane alittle better one on one to finish where he was comfortable, and that left a strong senior legacy behind.

Actually my own guess, I think Cooney will pull a Rautins one day, and shoot off a dribble or two and against pressure. But my guess is we will see that two years from now. Could he do it next year? Sure, but it would be a massive jump over one year like Rautins, and that would suprise me some. I think the jump rautins made shooting under pressure that year surprised alot of us.

Personally I just want a team with 4 solid isolation players that take you one on one. Make or miss atleast I feel confident without hoping is this the day fair shoots 3/15 or cooney can't get open, or Jerami can't get to the rim around the midpost. And that happened against dayton. I am sucker for a good one on one scorer, bigtime.

Last edited:
As a Syracuse fan I hate when anyone leaves for the selfish reason that I am a Syracuse fan. Bottomline is, under the current system, if you are a sure bet first round pick you go pro. Ennis playing in the NBA next year is irrelevant. Most likely he and Grant will be D-League bound but they will still have that three year security blanket that they would not have received in college to work on a second contract. I dislike it but if I was offered 1 million the next three years or go back to college, all bets off, how stupid would I be to stay in college? It is borderline insane.

I don't agree at all, why would you just settle to be a first round pick, and sit the bench or play in the d league? Is coming back to Syracuse for one more year really that bad?

I don't agree at all, why would you just settle to be a first round pick, and sit the bench or play in the d league? Is coming back to Syracuse for one more year really that bad?

you've got, max, probably 15 earning years as a professional basketball player. max. and in reality, probably fewer than that.

giving up one year of pay is a very high cost, especially if that year is going to be spent under contract in the highest paying professional league on earth.

it really should not be a difficult decision

you've got, max, probably 15 earning years as a professional basketball player. max. and in reality, probably fewer than that.

giving up one year of pay is a very high cost, especially if that year is going to be spent under contract in the highest paying professional league on earth.

it really should not be a difficult decision

But if you come back for another year you put yourself in position to make more money towards the end of your career.

But if you come back for another year you put yourself in position to make more money towards the end of your career.

that is just an assumption on your part. and a bad one. first, you are at least as likely to work your way down - or out - of the draft as up. second, your likely draft slot improvement would have to be dramatic enough that it would make up for that lost year - someone who is likely to get picked between 16 and 20 this year would have to be sure they'll be picked between 11 and 15 next year in order o recoup that lost year of earnings. third, if you are good enough to get a second and eventually a third long term deal, its better to get the clock started sooner than later because of that limited number of competitive years thing

if you think about it like a business - and you should - it is not a difficult decision

that is just an assumption on your part. and a bad one. first, you are at least as likely to work your way down - or out - of the draft as up. second, your likely draft slot improvement would have to be dramatic enough that it would make up for that lost year - someone who is likely to get picked between 16 and 20 this year would have to be sure they'll be picked between 11 and 15 next year in order o recoup that lost year of earnings. third, if you are good enough to get a second and eventually a third long term deal, its better to get the clock started sooner than later because of that limited number of competitive years thing

if you think about it like a business - and you should - it is not a difficult decision

How is it a bad assumption? This draft is thought to be a loaded draft. I will take Ennis first, if he makes the typical soph leap, gets stronger, works on his jump shot, he is going to improve his stock. If Grant develops a better jump shot he is going to improve his stock. It's not like either one is a lock to be a lottery pick this year.

orangefan13 said:
Who said Ennis is leaving because of Cooney?

You

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom