ESPN: Strong man Hickey anchors Syracuse line | Syracusefan.com

ESPN: Strong man Hickey anchors Syracuse line

I'd like to get the NFL's thinking on his fundamentals right now. Great potential and if he stays healthy the sky is the limit.

FIRE HICKS!!!! FIRE HIM
I would like to add; after being able to talk to a number of players this past weekend current and former one thing that stood out. Coach Hicks, is as beloved a staffer as SU has. IMO he's the face of SU football. Current NFL guys come back all the time to train w him. Tiller was in town recently training. That guy looks like the most physically fit lineman I've seen. Hulk status. He reported to Green Bay yesterday w a new contract in hand.
But I must've heard 3 different players describe Hicks as "the best". And everyone else heaping praise on him too. And he's the man with the NFL connections.
Just bringing this up as there were questions in the past on here, on what players thought of Hicks...

A lot of the issues with Hicks were during the G-Rob era where he was restricted from what he was able to do with the players. Once Marrone arrived, it seems as though Hicks was given the power to run things his way again.

A lot of the issues with Hicks were during the G-Rob era where he was restricted from what he was able to do with the players. Once Marrone arrived, it seems as though Hicks was given the power to run things his way again.

I wonder how much the GRob philosophy of not tracking strength increases bugged Hicks. Most anyone dedicated to strength training is a nut about tracking and evaluating measurables - how many reps, how much weight, how much time, increase/decreases from Day X to Day Y, etc. I would have to think it bothered Hicks greatly. If I recall, one of the first things Marrone mentioned and then changed was how little there was in measuring of progress in the weight room by the former staff.

Full_Rebar said:

Questions about Hicks methods came looong before Grob was ever here.

texascpa said:
I wonder how much the GRob philosophy of not tracking strength increases bugged Hicks. Most anyone dedicated to strength training is a nut about tracking and evaluating measurables - how many reps, how much weight, how much time, increase/decreases from Day X to Day Y, etc. I would have to think it bothered Hicks greatly. If I recall, one of the first things Marrone mentioned and then changed was how little there was in measuring of progress in the weight room by the former staff.

Mostly myth.

Questions about Hicks methods came looong before Grob was ever here.

I have always heard that Hicks was a very well respected and great strength coach. Is that not the case?

I have always heard that Hicks was a very well respected and great strength coach. Is that not the case?
It is the case. You'll obviously always have kids who are not going to be weight room warriors or have a lack of dedication to train like they should. He can only be responsible for so much..

I think the knock on Hicks has been with some of the speed guys, running backs, wide receivers adding too much bulk lower body wise and losing speed, just what has been tossed around. Rhodes and Reyes come to mind. Obviously, the guy is very well respected by those that matter and does a very good job

I think the knock on Hicks has been with some of the speed guys, running backs, wide receivers adding too much bulk lower body wise and losing speed, just what has been tossed around. Rhodes and Reyes come to mind. Obviously, the guy is very well respected by those that matter and does a very good job

Yep. Seems the big guys love him but I have heard the occasional complaint over the years from a skill guy or their parents about too much bulk and not enough elasticity (or whatever the right word is). Have heard some complain that it led to some injuries.

dumas and his front butt come to mind

Some of it is what the coach wants. I remember a period under P where the desire was to have the OL all big and we'd have several. 300+ guys then a few years later they went with sleeker and thinner OL and many were in the 280 range.

Last edited:
Some of it is what the coach wants . I remember a period under P where the desire was to have the OL all big and we'd have several. 300+ guys then a few years later they went with sleeker and thinner OL and many were in the 280 range.

Makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Seems the big guys love him but I have heard the occasional complaint over the years from a skill guy or their parents about too much bulk and not enough elasticity (or whatever the right word is). Have heard some complain that it led to some injuries.
I think this is why a lot of the guys are taking yoga, etc now. More flexible and opens up the hips. And it's a good cover just to take yoga...

It is the case. You'll obviously always have kids who are not going to be weight room warriors or have a lack of dedication to train like they should. He can only be responsible for so much..

that is not correct. during the late p era and all of grob era (mainly bc of grob it turns out) he was not all that respected.

He has earned it back imo.

that is not correct. during the late p era and all of grob era (mainly bc of grob it turns out) he was not all that respected.

He has earned it back imo.
Well it is correct as in "it is the case" present tense. And there are guys from those era's who greatly respect Hicks as well.