Expectations for Broyld in 15' | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Expectations for Broyld in 15'

sutomcat said:
Sad how many haters there are out there who can only say bad things about this guy. He has been a good soldier who has put the team in front of his own needs from the day he stepped on campus. He deserves better.

I *rarely* utter a bad word about a player, I just saw him fail to attempt to block too often and short arm too many passes. That irks me. I'm also trying to remember all of the big gains he's had when he got the ball in open space/one on one. I'm assume there are a bunch from the way people talk but I don't recall many. That's not on him, I'm just not sure he's the transcendent athlete on the field some want him to be.

Hope he has a great season and makes some bucks in the NFL, obviously.

I haven't seen anything in his career to suggest a breakout is coming. I suspect maybe 30 catches around 300-350 yards and 0 TD's.

First, this isn't all on GM, Broyld has bounced around from position to position his entire career.

QB to RB to WR to HB to WR to HB.

That isn't the way to get optimal performance from a player, especially one who isn't known for his knowledge of the playbook. I am not saying Broyld has been moved so many times to yank him around. There were reasons for all the moves. But that doesn't mean the moves all made sense.

He is back at H-back now, last I knew, but from what I have seen with the Lester offense, this is a much different role than the H-back was under GM.

It is more of a wing back position, where Ashton will get a number of carries each game running the ball, often on sweeps where he will have a good chance to run in open space.

When they throw the ball to this H-back position, it looks like the patterns will be more in the flats, down the field, in areas where he will typically face single coverage. To me, that is a much better fit for his talents.

Sad how many haters there are out there who can only say bad things about this guy. He has been a good soldier who has put the team in front of his own needs from the day he stepped on campus. He deserves better.

Good post Tom. Sure his production may not have matched his potential, but this is a WNY kid who actually decided to stay home, and has always been all-in for Syracuse. He's also one hell of a competitor, and always leaves his best on the field. If more people had his heart we'd be in a a much better place. I really hope Ashton has a strong senior season, and gets drafted.

I can't believe Broyld is in his final season this year. Will this year be the year that he breaks out? Or will this be a story of what could have been. In my recent memory, I cant think of a player that has come with as much hype and promise resting on his shoulders. I for one am hoping Broyld figures it out and becomes the player we all thought we were going to see

thoughts. Boom or bust at the end of 20515?

I hope the light goes on like it did for Johnnie Morant his senior year.

I fear his production will be on par with Barry Baker in his 9th year of the program.

His next Touchdown will be his first in a Syracuse uniform.

Ive known Ashton since he was 12 years old. One of the best athletes Ive seen on the field. One of the biggest competitors Ive been around. Im rooting for him more than anything now. I think he 's underachieved. I thought he would have more TD's at this point of his career and I thought we would see more explosive plays from him. He would be the first to tell you that. Despite the position, the offense scheme and play calling he's had some off the field distractions at Cuse only I know about. If he can overcome them the sky is the limit. Not too many people can say they were switched to 4 different positions in college. Dont know if some of you know how hard that is. The funny thing is, the staff finally got it right IMO. I always thought he could be a Aaron Hernandez type ( I know bad comparison right now. lol) but I am comfortable with the position he has now and think he can excel. I am praying that he has the type of year he is capable of.

Last edited:
JarHeadJim said:
His next Touchdown will be his first in a Syracuse uniform.

Not true. Scored vs Stony Brook. But yeah - he needs one bad...

rrlbees said:
I wish he loved contact and had moved to the defensive side.

We're all rooting for him, but I really wish he took this path, or at least wanted to take that path. Who knows, could have had something similar to Hogue or Tebucky impacts.

I expect that he'll short arm a few over the middle, miss some blocks, and get hurt.

And whine about it as well. Good riddance, most over hyped player since joe Donnelly.

1 td is 3 years. Who really gives a f...

Ive known Ashton since he was 12 years old. One of the best athletes Ive seen on the field. One of the biggest competitors Ive been around. Im rooting for him more than anything now. I think he 's underachieved. I thought he would have more TD's at this point of his career and I thought we would see more explosive plays from him. He would be the first to tell you that. Despite the position, the offense scheme and play calling he's had some off the field distractions at Cuse only I know about. If he can overcome them the sky is the limit. Not too many people can say they were switched to 4 different positions in college. Dont know if some of you know how hard that is. The funny thing is, the staff finally got it right IMO. I always thought he could be a Aaron Hernandez type ( I know bad comparison right now. lol) but I am comfortable with the position he has now and think he can excel. I am praying that he has the type of year he is capable of.

Good post Money.

So is he at one of the TE positions this year?

alligator-arms.png

That's a really bad picture of Justin Pugh.

I agree with those who say he's the best QB on the roster. Would have been interesting if we had seen SU design an offense for him like BC did last year for Murphy. I am curious to see how he and Estime are used because it seems like Lester really loves Phillips.

I predict he's going to go Rakeem Mother F-in Christmas this season. I can't wait to see it.
I had to like your post purely for the fact that you turned Rak into an verb. I think we see Ashton really show this year and finish with somewhere around 48 catches for 580 yds and 6 tds. That would be a solid year by most accounts. I think what hurts his top level production is the fact that Steve Ishmael possesses NFL talent. If the QB's can find a way to gel with him, this kid is going to put on a display.

I thought that Ashton was the most talented player on the roster during his tenure on the Hill. In his first year at RB he showed some real ability, but didn't get much playing time. He ran hard and was not easy to bring down. Reportedly, his failure to learn the blocking schemes was as much a reason for his being moved as anything. Had he stayed at RB he would have been a good threat catching the ball out of the backfield as well.

A lot is made of his lack of TD's and yes, he did drop several sure TD passes over the middle, however, I think that not scoring is more of a team problem than just Broyld. Other than Hunt, who else has done any prolific scoring? Also, in his defense he didn't have the most accurate or timely QB's throwing to him and he was still one of the leading receivers.

Broyld isn't the first player to be caught up in a program that for a variety of reasons (coaching changes, schemes etc) couldn't figure out how to use his talents. BTW, why was he never used to throw a pass?

I would really like to see the kid have a great senior year but I am not sure what Lester's offense will really be so it is hard to say if it will give Broyld the chance to have a big season. If Lester can't figure out how to use him, I will be really disappointed - not surprised, but disappointed.

I thought that Ashton was the most talented player on the roster during his tenure on the Hill. In his first year at RB he showed some real ability, but didn't get much playing time. He ran hard and was not easy to bring down. Reportedly, his failure to learn the blocking schemes was as much a reason for his being moved as anything. Had he stayed at RB he would have been a good threat catching the ball out of the backfield as well.

A lot is made of his lack of TD's and yes, he did drop several sure TD passes over the middle, however, I think that not scoring is more of a team problem than just Broyld. Other than Hunt, who else has done any prolific scoring? Also, in his defense he didn't have the most accurate or timely QB's throwing to him and he was still one of the leading receivers.

Broyld isn't the first player to be caught up in a program that for a variety of reasons (coaching changes, schemes etc) couldn't figure out how to use his talents. BTW, why was he never used to throw a pass?

I would really like to see the kid have a great senior year but I am not sure what Lester's offense will really be so it is hard to say if it will give Broyld the chance to have a big season. If Lester can't figure out how to use him, I will be really disappointed - not surprised, but disappointed.

He has attempted 3 passes and completed 2 in his career .. none of his throws however were awe inspiring.

Ashton Broyld is the posterchild for on "how to misutilize an athlete". Everything possible has been done to make it impossible for him and many other players on offense to succede. The question is; has this in turn made it difficult for the players to buy into Lester's system 100 percent? Psychology and confidence big ?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom