Expectations for Broyld in 15' | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Expectations for Broyld in 15'

Great athleticism doesn't always equate to great football player unfortunately, IE Lavar Lobdell.

He has attempted 3 passes and completed 2 in his career .. none of his throws however were awe inspiring.
Yeah, I seem to recall one now that you mention it. However, he was a HSQB with a pretty good arm. Just seem that he could run, catch and throw and you would think that has to be a terrific asset in any offense. Mystery to me.

Low.

But I'm hoping that he rises to the occasion and has a big senior year. I'm also hoping that Lester's offense finds ways to make use of his talents / athleticism more effectively than our last OC's did.

bothsocksup said:
I can't believe Broyld is in his final season this year. Will this year be the year that he breaks out? Or will this be a story of what could have been. In my recent memory, I cant think of a player that has come with as much hype and promise resting on his shoulders. I for one am hoping Broyld figures it out and becomes the player we all thought we were going to see thoughts. Boom or bust at the end of 20515?

I want him at RB.

Yeah, I seem to recall one now that you mention it. However, he was a HSQB with a pretty good arm. Just seem that he could run, catch and throw and you would think that has to be a terrific asset in any offense. Mystery to me.

Accuracy is the question mark ... at least from what I remember ... the fact is if he were to QB at that level he needs the coaching to get there ... its way too late for that.

1000 all purpose yards and 8-10 TD's - My prediction because I think that Lester wants the ball in his hands a lot.

Seems like he was dubbed as some freak athlete like a Julio Jones-type big guy who could just take it to the house at will. He's far from that and not playing against SEC defenses I might add. I get he has been misused and there have been plenty of QB woes factoring in, but, he lacks some serious concentration it seems and is often lost out there. I hope he has a big year.

Hard to square some of the knocks on Broyld with his actual performance.
It is fair to question his speed, and his hands are smaller than ideal for a WR. I get that he has not met the high expectations when recruited.

On the positive side, he is one of the very few frosh in a skill position, in the entire Marrone-Shafer era, who did anything at all (apart from kick-returning). It is a short list -- Ishmael, Estime, Broyld, Phillips and Lemon. In rushing by a true frosh RB, the list in that era is only Phillips and Broyld.
As a soph, Broyld put up 52 catches -- tied for most ever by a sophomore receiver at SU.
As a junior, Broyld was injured at the end of the first quarter of the 4th game (Maryland). To that point, he had 15 catches for 174 yards -- leading the team in catches.

We have more depth and balance in 2015, but Broyld will be one of our principal weapons. Expecting 40 plus catches, more than 600 yards receiving & rushing, and a handful of TDs.

Best QB on the roster? Based on what? A good hs career against crappy ny competition? David Legree was a great NYS HS qb too. 2 staffs/3OCs and none of them put him under center.

Pyle said:
Best QB on the roster? Based on what? A good hs career against crappy ny competition? David Legree was a great NYS HS qb too. 2 staffs/3OCs and none of them put him under center.

Agreed. It's classic "never going to happen so I can camp out on this idea and look smart while second-guessing professionals who I believe got hit in the head too much" analysis.

i dont think he has the desire to be a superior football player- he is content to be called a superior athlete -

They didnt show it during the spring game but expect ashton and irving to get 5 or 6 carries a game. They will be a big part of the run scheme believe me.

I like hearing this. Very much looking forward to seeing them carry the ball.

my expectations are as follows

anything positive is a bonus

He's just another guy who comes in with unrealistic tags on his name (ala estime) and then doesn't perform up to those expectations

Yes he's been injured, but I think his role will likely be a possession type receiver

I'll be shocked (positively) if he gets close to 500 yards receiving or even 3 touchdowns

He's just another guy who comes in with unrealistic tags on his name (ala estime) and then doesn't perform up to those expectations

Yes he's been injured, but I think his role will likely be a possession type receiver

I'll be shocked (positively) if he gets close to 500 yards receiving or even 3 touchdowns

You are way off on Estime, who was hurt nearly all of last year. That's what compromised his production, not lack of ability.

Were you shocked in 2013 when Ashton had 52 catches (leading the team) and 450 yards?

Yes, he is a possession receiver (lacks high-end speed) and hasn't made his mark in TDs. He made the transition from QB to RB to possession receiver -- and already has put up a season with "close to 500 yards receiving".

It makes me wonder what expectations you set.

They didnt show it during the spring game but expect ashton and irving to get 5 or 6 carries a game. They will be a big part of the run scheme believe me.

I keep thinking if he didn't make that one fumble he would still be holding the rock.

I keep thinking if he didn't make that one fumble he would still be holding the rock.

In the meltdown after that Minnesota loss, this didn't seem to get much attention, but I swear Broyld's forward progress was stopped long before he fumbled.

Right now that looks like a career-altering play. Hope he has a good year.

i expect no tds and i expect him to still be our best qb
Over under 2 TD's, I'm taking under
Expecting bust - not to be snarky, based solely on past evidence. It will be helpful if Lester can figure out how to use him properly.

250 yds receiving, maybe 1 TD. He'll contribute, but it will seem like a bust given initial expectations.
Low.

But I'm hoping that he rises to the occasion and has a big senior year. I'm also hoping that Lester's offense finds ways to make use of his talents / athleticism more effectively than our last OC's did.
my expectations are as follows

anything positive is a bonus

Looks like we all win the prize

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors