Fall Ball 2016 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Fall Ball 2016

Copied from other forum:

A couple minutes away from starting vs Lehigh. Lehigh beat St Joe's 7-3 or something like that.

Evans in uniform.

Attack: Evans, Solomon, Voight
Mids: Salcido, Mariano, Lane
2nd mids: Weston, Carlin, Trimboli
D: Bomberry, Cunningham, Helmer
Goalie: Madonna

First goal Mariano
2-1 Cuse end of 1st

IMG_1347.PNG

Offense needs a lot work, that starting attack lineup looks weak on paper and appears to have been as bad on the field. Really gonna miss Donahue. Going to need Grass and or Forkin to step up and take over a spot on the first line.

Analysis: Syracuse, Quinnipiac, Penn, Drexel, Saint Joe's, Lehigh at HEADstrong Philly Event

Syracuse

The Orange’s regular goalie, senior Evan Molloy, has been a little banged up, so coach John Desko turned to backup goalie Dom Madonna and liked how he held up. The defense was OK, according to Desko, but what bothered him was how his offense performed.

“We made some mistakes on defense, but I was pretty disappointed offensively with the few goals we had put up with a lot of our starters out there,” Desko said. “It was disappointing. We did play pretty good defense. Matt Lane (a 6-7, redshirt junior attackman) made a nice step up this fall. We had some freshmen playing out there. [Freshman midfielder Jamie] Trimboli got some good experience today.

“(Midfield freshman Peter) Dearth got some good experience today. We were a little short. We only had four close defensemen, with a couple of starters hurt. We did have some players step up. I thought Marcus Cunningham did a pretty good job. Austin Fusco did a pretty good job. Andrew Helmer, a redshirt freshman, I thought made some mental errors, but the good part is he’s learning from his mistakes.”

Overall, Desko was disappointed with his poorly his team shot.

“We rushed some things and didn’t shoot well, but for some of the guys returning,” Desko said. “I was disappointed with our offensive output.”

Analysis: Syracuse, Quinnipiac, Penn, Drexel, Saint Joe's, Lehigh at HEADstrong Philly Event

Syracuse

The Orange’s regular goalie, senior Evan Molloy, has been a little banged up, so coach John Desko turned to backup goalie Dom Madonna and liked how he held up. The defense was OK, according to Desko, but what bothered him was how his offense performed.

“We made some mistakes on defense, but I was pretty disappointed offensively with the few goals we had put up with a lot of our starters out there,” Desko said. “It was disappointing. We did play pretty good defense. Matt Lane (a 6-7, redshirt junior attackman) made a nice step up this fall. We had some freshmen playing out there. [Freshman midfielder Jamie] Trimboli got some good experience today.

“(Midfield freshman Peter) Dearth got some good experience today. We were a little short. We only had four close defensemen, with a couple of starters hurt. We did have some players step up. I thought Marcus Cunningham did a pretty good job. Austin Fusco did a pretty good job. Andrew Helmer, a redshirt freshman, I thought made some mental errors, but the good part is he’s learning from his mistakes.”

Overall, Desko was disappointed with his poorly his team shot.

“We rushed some things and didn’t shoot well, but for some of the guys returning,” Desko said. “I was disappointed with our offensive output.”

This team needs all the practice it can get its hands on when the pre-season starts in January. Getting Forkin in the fold along with the transfer from Denver could help a lot. Not a big fan of moving Mariano around either. Id prefer he stay at middie with Salcido to give us a great 1st mid line but if were going to move it better to just do it versus him being back and forth. Good news that Trimboli got some PT, I think he has a chance to play a lot this coming season especially if Mariano has to be moved to attack. Nice to hear Lane has taken that next step forward, with the attack unit so unsettled really going to need the midfield to step up. I thought he looked a lot better down the stretch then he did in the middle of the season when he really hit a wall for a few games.

Surprised Voight is starting at attack after spending all of last season at midfield. I like Voight coming out of HS but the fact he is starting after being placed at Middie last year is concerning. I think that may have something to do with Shewell still coming back from that undisclosed injury and Grass/Bomberry not being overly familiar with the offense. Solomon seemed pretty quiet throughout the fall season which is also concerning. Really hope some of these young attackmen are ready to step up or we could be in for a less then fun spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom