Fav player from 2009 till now? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Fav player from 2009 till now?

Didn't know this was an option.

Eric Devendorf is my favorite player all time. Met him in person several times, he's a horribly misunderstood individual. He was a player who could talk the talk and walk the walk. He's exactly the type of player we've lacked as of late. He was the "edge" that builds contenders. A great college basketball player and a very nice guy.

if Devo didn't have the ink he would have been beloved. its partially a perception thing.

Not much love for Brandon Triche in this thread, but its the smart, talented and coachable guys like him that sustain this program. Here's a vote for an old school basketball player.

Last edited:
Arinze. I love all the wing and guard scorers but its special watching a big take over a game on both sides of the floor. Raks current year will jump him up my list but Arinze was my favorite since Etan, who was my favorite since John Wallace.

Wish I got to see DC play but I was still a wee lad at that point.

I said Flynn earlier, but to elaborate, he was one of the more explosive, dynamic, and competitive players we've had. He made a lot of big shots/plays starting right with his first 2 games of his career. He willed us to a comeback win over Kansas. That 28 win(against ou hardest schedule ever) sweet 16 2009 team kicked off our run of great seasons, and Flynn was the catalyst. I think he had a big role in turning things around, and he was our first high rated recruit in awhile that turned out to be even better than advertised.

I am shocked by the lack of Flynn love. Perhaps because most posters are thinking from 2009-2010, and Flynn was drafted after the 08-09 season?

He was the most charismatic player I've ever watched, and my favorite Cuse player of all time.

Having been privileged to know so many of the players, it is difficult to separate the person from the player.

As a person, it has to be Baye. I loved everything about his character/personality. Senior people in the program refer to him as "the nicest kid who's ever played basketball here," and from day one I saw why. If only he could catch the ball!

As a player, I'm going with Wes (who is also an outstanding person). He brought that 2010 team out of nowhere (beginning with the UNC game at MSG) and could have taken it all the way were it not for Arinze's injury. Wes could do it all. The sad part about Wes is that he only played here one year. If he had played here longer, I am sure he would be near the top of everyone's list.

Having been privileged to know so many of the players, it is difficult to separate the person from the player.

As a person, it has to be Baye. I loved everything about his character/personality. Senior people in the program refer to him as "the nicest kid who's ever played basketball here," and from day one I saw why. If only he could catch the ball!

As a player, I'm going with Wes (who is also an outstanding person). He brought that 2010 team out of nowhere (beginning with the UNC game at MSG) and could have taken it all the way were it not for Arinze's injury. Wes could do it all. The sad part about Wes is that he only played here one year. If he had played here longer, I am sure he would be near the top of everyone's list.

I encountered Baye at several parties on campus. He was kind of an ass, to be honest. Could of been because I was trashed.

I encountered Baye at several parties on campus. He was kind of an ass, to be honest. Could of been because I was trashed.

Thanks, your short post has just transformed my view of Baye from a saint to that of a mere mortal, although he remains high on my list. Did Baye drink? I do appreciate the more complete picture, although I don't suspect your post will be ragingly popular. To quote the laconic. redheaded kid with a deep voice on King of the Hill, "That took courage".

Last edited:
I am shocked by the lack of Flynn love. Perhaps because most posters are thinking from 2009-2010, and Flynn was drafted after the 08-09 season?

He was the most charismatic player I've ever watched, and my favorite Cuse player of all time.

Yup, same. I was thinking the same thing, about maybe many took it as since 09-10. But really 08-09 is what started this run, that was a strong season with some great wins.

Flynn is high on my list too. Tons of fun to watch, and in my opinion he's the 3rd best PG we've had after Pearl and Douglas.

This post exemplifies why I don't post much "human interest" stuff any more. I have known Baye well for more than four years. You met him when you were drunk and feel you know him well enough to call him an "ass."

Be sure to come back and tell us when the school names a "good citizen/good teammate" award after you. Baye did not just receive the award; it was named after him.

I was very hesitant to participate in this thread. You have verified my concern. I guess I will stick to making posts about Seth Greenberg.

Last edited:
This post exemplifies why I don't post much "human interest" stuff any more. I have known Baye well for more than four years. You met him when you were drunk and feel you know him well enough to call him an "ass."

Be sure to come back and tell us when the school names a "good citizen/good teammate" award after you. Baye did not just receive the award; it was named after him.

I was very hesitant to participate in this thread. You have verified my concern. I guess I will stick to making posts about Seth Greenberg.

I qualified my post for a reason. Just my (admittedly drunken) experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't know this was an option.

Eric Devendorf is my favorite player all time. Met him in person several times, he's a horribly misunderstood individual. He was a player who could talk the talk and walk the walk. He's exactly the type of player we've lacked as of late. He was the "edge" that builds contenders. A great college basketball player and a very nice guy.

My list is not in any particular order. Because the highlighted portion of your quote reminds me somewhat of myself, I will start there. Remember, this is a list of favorites, not necessarily "the best" in any other way.

Eric Devendorf: Sure he had some problems on and off the court, but as others have stated, he brought something to the court that few others in recent history have. He had the ability to get in opponents' heads, and used more than his playing ability to accentuate his performance. That 3 at the buzzer of the 6 OT game and him jumping on the scorers' table triumphantly is one of my favorite SU memories of all time, even though the refs took away the bucket. Also, regardless if he was pushed out of the program or not, he's seemed to have matured incredibly and now seems to be closing in on DC when it comes to affection for a program he once had mixed feelings about. He also was wearing boots similar to a pair I bought long ago in the picture with CuseTroop.

Baye Moussa Keita: By most accounts, a wonderful human being. Despite the limitations in his play, he seemed to be a hard worker who got more out of the ability he had than most other players did. He played an important role in reaching a final 4, and had the first ever individual SU hoops award named after him for the package he brought as a player and a person. Regardless of the reasons, I found myself pumping my fist emphatically and cheering louder for him than any player in recent history. I also enjoyed seeing the way he cheered for his teammates when he was on the bench. And who can forget his "little wings" mockery against BC?

Brandon Triche: My memory isn't always my strong point, but I believe he had the most starts and wins of any SU player. That isn't completely coincidence. He certainly wasn't the most talented or flashy player, but I admired his methodical, workman-like character. I also have to mention his being built like an ox. Again, another player who had an important role in bringing us to a final 4, which likely would have extended further if not for an errant call on his late drive. BT had to deal with some lingering questions of "legacy" on here due to his uncle, and almost as importantly, may have had to do so in real life as well.

Fab Melo: "Whaaaaa...??", you may wonder. First, I admire anyone who tries to learn a second language, especially if they aren't characterized as being overly "bright". He also had one of the cooler names in SU history, and someone out here in Denver recently called me it due to my fan status. Let's not forget him throwing down a 360 dunk in a game. How many other Orange can you name off the top of your head who have done so? Seriously, part of being a fan is about being entertained, so occasional things like that are a real treat for me. Finally, Fab Melo's antics somehow managed to tick off Hitler. That has to be worth something, right?

You can tell a knowledgeable SU fan put some work into this. Even if you've seen it before, it seems to echo many of the complaints and topics we read about repeatedly on here:

Last edited:

Not sure this really needed to be said. In Baye's defense (which I hardly need to do), I've probably come across like "an ass" a few times myself when dealing with drunk people.

But no need to derail the thread. Back to our favorite players...

CaptainJ said:
My list is not in any particular order. Because the highlighted portion of your quote reminds me somewhat of myself, I will start there. Remember, this is a list of favorites, not necessarily "the best" in any other way. Eric Devendorf: Sure he had some problems on and off the court, but as others have stated, he brought something to the court that few others in recent history have. He had the ability to get in opponents' heads, and used more than his playing ability to accentuate his performance. That 3 at the buzzer of the 6 OT game and him jumping on the scorers' table triumphantly is one of my favorite SU memories of all time, even though the refs took away the bucket. Also, regardless if he was pushed out of the program or not, he's seemed to have matured incredibly and now seems to be closing in on DC when it comes to affection for a program he once had mixed feelings about. He also was wearing boots similar to a pair I bought long ago in the picture with CuseTroop. Baye Moussa Keita: By most accounts, a wonderful human being. Despite the limitations in his play, he seemed to be a hard worker who got more out of the ability he had than most other players did. He played an important role in reaching a final 4, and had the first ever individual SU hoops award named after him for the package he brought as a player and a person. Regardless of the reasons, I found myself pumping my fist emphatically and cheering louder for him than any player in recent history. I also enjoyed seeing the way he cheered for his teammates when he was on the bench. And who can forget his "little wings" mockery against BC? Brandon Triche: My memory isn't always my strong point, but I believe he had the most starts and wins of any SU player. That isn't completely coincidence. He certainly wasn't the most talented or flashy player, but I admired his methodical, workman-like character. I also have to mention his being built like an ox. Again, another player who had an important role in bringing us to a final 4, which likely would have extended further if not for an errant call on his late drive. BT had to deal with some lingering questions of "legacy" on here due to his uncle, and almost as importantly, may have had to do so in real life as well. Fab Melo: "Whaaaaa...??", you may wonder. First, I admire anyone who tries to learn a second language, especially if they aren't characterized as being overly "bright". He also had one of the cooler names in SU history, and someone out here in Denver recently called me it due to my fan status. Let's not forget him throwing down a 360 dunk in a game. How many other Orange can you name off the top of your head who have done so? Seriously, part of being a fan is about being entertained, so occasional things like that are a real treat for me. Finally, Fab Melo's antics somehow managed to tick off Hitler. That has to be worth something, right? You can tell a knowledgeable SU fan put some work into this. Even if you've seen it before, it seems to echo many of the complaints and topics we read about repeatedly on here: YouTube Video

I remember this game. Nova players were being s the whole game, Fab was visibly frustrated throughout, then at the end when we had the game won they still kept on trying to foul, not good when you have Fab running the floor alone!!!

Last edited:
I remember this game. Nova players were being s the whole game, Fab was visibly frustrated throughout, then at the end when we had the game won they still kept on trying to foul, not good when you have Fab running the floor alone!!!

i was at that game and remember thinking why the is jay wright still pressing and trapping with 5 seconds left down 11? now that im watching that clip for the first time since then why the was jay wright still pressing and trapping with 5 seconds left down 11?????? what a tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom