FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Copa America 2016 will be awesome.

Only if everybody sends their A teams which hasn't happened in a long time. They need to make the winnner automatically qualify for the World Cup.

That is what makes the Euro Championships better. Everyone sends their A teams.

Ok, enough of the EPL league crap. Time to reverse-hijack this thread. Who is everyone pulling for now that our boys are out if it?

The English in me says "definitely not France", so no brainer there. Beyond that, I am torn.

The Dutch in me says to go with Robben and Robin, which isn't so bad because I like their style but LOATHE admitted divin (Robben).

The German in me says Germany, and that wouldn't be so bad. They are strong and score a lot, but can be boring too. And Muller is a cocky SOB.

The Irish in me already celebrated when Italy went home.

I'm not Belgian, but I do love waffles, and since I am also 1/4 Canadian, have a sweet tooth for maple. Also, I respect the heck out of that team for how they played against us (no cheap shite), and there is much to be said for seeing the ones that beat you win the whole thing. But that Screech Sweathog guy...ugh.

I've never been partial to Brazil, and since they have the home field advantage, I gotta pass on them.

I'm a religious mutt as well, and the Catholic side of me says "Pope Francis is from Argentina", but Jesus isn't walking out on that field, unfortunately. Just Messi, Di Maria and 9 other guys. They need the Hand of God to get all the way through. Although, I did once know a DeMaria, so they could be a possibility.

Columbia is an interesting possibility. Very talented, fun to watch, but my ex-brother in law was part Columbian and a weasel. Sorry Carlos Valderamma, gonna have to pass.

That leaves Costa Rica...the Cinderella Story. CONCACAF's lone warrior. I love Campbell. Dude has game. They are as far as they have ever gone and deserve respect for what they have achieved. That said, chances are slim they go any farther, so not much fun picking a one-and-done.

So, the big decision. Who should I throw lots in with? Do I go with heritage? Do I go with style of play? Do I go with a cool player?

Sigh...ok here we go.

Costa Rica...sorry, but my Dutch mates make mince meat out of you. I'm going with Robin VP...for now.

Colombia...I am a fan for one game. Take out Brazil and I might send a card to my ex-brother in law.

Germany. Yep. It's gotta be Germany...at least until they force France's unconditional surrender by halftime.

At the risk of getting a nasty phone call from Pope Francis, I can't cheer for his native land. The ghosts of Maradona linger. I like Messi, and my daughter LOVES him, but I'll risk the cold shoulder for a week.

I'm pulling for a Netherlands - Belgium final. I want to see new blood on the throne of World Futbol. I like both teams and can support either one openly and honestly as they hoist the trophy. Belgium earned a ton of respect from me last night. They have some straight up ballers. That would be a dynamite offensive match-up. As for my top choice...it's going to come down to the Sweathog, unfortunately. Can I cheer for him? Gosh. That hair. That bloody mop! The whining. Nope. New Netherland all the way!!! But watch out for the Waffles.

I will, and have been cheering for Germany in every game not involving the US. Aside from that I'd love for Colombia to get it done as I've been talking them up for months and they're a blast to watch play OR Holland whom are over acheiving what I thought them capable while wearing my favorite kits.

Ok, enough of the EPL league crap. Time to reverse-hijack this thread. Who is everyone pulling for now that our boys are out if it?

The English in me says "definitely not France", so no brainer there. Beyond that, I am torn.

The Dutch in me says to go with Robben and Robin, which isn't so bad because I like their style but LOATHE admitted divin (Robben).

The German in me says Germany, and that wouldn't be so bad. They are strong and score a lot, but can be boring too. And Muller is a cocky SOB.

The Irish in me already celebrated when Italy went home.

I'm not Belgian, but I do love waffles, and since I am also 1/4 Canadian, have a sweet tooth for maple. Also, I respect the heck out of that team for how they played against us (no cheap shite), and there is much to be said for seeing the ones that beat you win the whole thing. But that Screech Sweathog guy...ugh.

I've never been partial to Brazil, and since they have the home field advantage, I gotta pass on them.

I'm a religious mutt as well, and the Catholic side of me says "Pope Francis is from Argentina", but Jesus isn't walking out on that field, unfortunately. Just Messi, Di Maria and 9 other guys. They need the Hand of God to get all the way through. Although, I did once know a DeMaria, so they could be a possibility.

Columbia is an interesting possibility. Very talented, fun to watch, but my ex-brother in law was part Columbian and a weasel. Sorry Carlos Valderamma, gonna have to pass.

That leaves Costa Rica...the Cinderella Story. CONCACAF's lone warrior. I love Campbell. Dude has game. They are as far as they have ever gone and deserve respect for what they have achieved. That said, chances are slim they go any farther, so not much fun picking a one-and-done.

So, the big decision. Who should I throw lots in with? Do I go with heritage? Do I go with style of play? Do I go with a cool player?

Sigh...ok here we go.

Costa Rica...sorry, but my Dutch mates make mince meat out of you. I'm going with Robin VP...for now.

Colombia...I am a fan for one game. Take out Brazil and I might send a card to my ex-brother in law.

Germany. Yep. It's gotta be Germany...at least until they force France's unconditional surrender by halftime.

At the risk of getting a nasty phone call from Pope Francis, I can't cheer for his native land. The ghosts of Maradona linger. I like Messi, and my daughter LOVES him, but I'll risk the cold shoulder for a week.

I'm pulling for a Netherlands - Belgium final. I want to see new blood on the throne of World Futbol. I like both teams and can support either one openly and honestly as they hoist the trophy. Belgium earned a ton of respect from me last night. They have some straight up ballers. That would be a dynamite offensive match-up. As for my top choice...it's going to come down to the Sweathog, unfortunately. Can I cheer for him? Gosh. That hair. That bloody mop! The whining. Nope. New Netherland all the way!!! But watch out for the Waffles.

Definitely pulling for Colombia. Hard not to after watching The Two Escobars and seeing the struggle and misfortune that national team has endured. Think they have the speed and skill to overtake Brazil tomorrow and go further if James keeps producing the way he has.

Only if everybody sends their A teams which hasn't happened in a long time. They need to make the winnner automatically qualify for the World Cup.

That is what makes the Euro Championships better. Everyone sends their A teams.
FIFA is going to put it on its official calender and make everyone available to be recalled.
2015 Copa America and 2015 Gold Cup will be the for the 2017 Confederations Cup I assume that is what you meant automatically qualify for the World Cup.

2016 Copa America will be "A" teams because its the 100 year anniversary of the tournament and having in the USA will generate sponsorship money for CONMEBOL and CONCACAF federations and they will support this. If this goes well they keep the this multiple federation Copa America in the same year as the Euros and have the confederation competitions like they are the year after the World Cup.

I personally wish the USA and Mexico would join CONMEBOL I realize qualifying would become harder, but we would have better competition and move our program upwards and CONMEBOL would get atleast 2 of CONCACAF's 3.5 WC berths. This would force USA soccer to get better and would bring awesome qualifiers to the USA.

I hope this Julian Green to Tottenham HotSpur happens. It would help both sides and would really help NBCSN's coverage of the BPL. Every Tottenham game would get good ratings in the USA if Green was playing and starting for the Spurs.

Definitely pulling for Colombia. Hard not to after watching The Two Escobars and seeing the struggle and misfortune that national team has endured. Think they have the speed and skill to overtake Brazil tomorrow and go further if James keeps producing the way he has.
images

Brings to mind WC 1998 when Ronaldo (Brazilian version) came down with flu like symptoms the day before the final, was less than himself and Brazil lost to . . . . get ready for this . . . . France. Coincidence?
That was a really weird situation. I seem to recall that it was reported to be flu-like symptoms but in actuality he had some sort of nervous breakdown/panic attack that culminated in a seizure.

Brings to mind WC 1998 when Ronaldo (Brazilian version) came down with flu like symptoms the day before the final, was less than himself and Brazil lost to . . . . get ready for this . . . . France. Coincidence?

It would be flu season down there about now, wouldn't it? Sucks. Hopefully Germany can ride it out and still beat France.

Bortukal said:

Rooting for Colombia, Costa Rica or Belgium in that order to win it.

FIFA is going to put it on its official calender and make everyone available to be recalled.
2015 Copa America and 2015 Gold Cup will be the for the 2017 Confederations Cup I assume that is what you meant automatically qualify for the World Cup.

2016 Copa America will be "A" teams because its the 100 year anniversary of the tournament and having in the USA will generate sponsorship money for CONMEBOL and CONCACAF federations and they will support this. If this goes well they keep the this multiple federation Copa America in the same year as the Euros and have the confederation competitions like they are the year after the World Cup.

I personally wish the USA and Mexico would join CONMEBOL I realize qualifying would become harder, but we would have better competition and move our program upwards and CONMEBOL would get atleast 2 of CONCACAF's 3.5 WC berths. This would force USA soccer to get better and would bring awesome qualifiers to the USA.

The seasonal difference and the travel schedule with regard to the Copa Libertadores would probably eliminate any serious discussion of a Confederation move.

The seasonal difference and the travel schedule with regard to the Copa Libertadores would probably eliminate any serious discussion of a Confederation move.
Your probably right but Mexico will be sending teams to the Copa Libertadores now as a concession for making the Gold Cup a priority and agreeing to only send an U-23 team to the Copa America.
The travel would be hard and a lot of road matches would be at high altitude but if the USA could switch I would do it but qualifying for the World Cup would be a LOT tougher. Uruguay finished 5th in CONMEBOL and needed a playoff like Mexico. If we joined CONMEBOL would probably get 7.5 bids and we would need to be 6th out of 12 to qualify safely for the WC. Right now CONCACAF qualifying isn't that hard Costa Rica, Mexico, Honduras, Jamaica, Panama were our hex opponents. As I bet you probably know we went 5-0 at home and 2-2-1 on the road for 25 points.

Your probably right but Mexico will be sending teams to the Copa Libertadores now as a concession for making the Gold Cup a priority and agreeing to only send an U-23 team to the Copa America.
The travel would be hard and a lot of road matches would be at high altitude but if the USA could switch I would do it but qualifying for the World Cup would be a LOT tougher. Uruguay finished 5th in CONMEBOL and needed a playoff like Mexico. If we joined CONMEBOL would probably get 7.5 bids and we would need to be 6th out of 12 to qualify safely for the WC. Right now CONCACAF qualifying isn't that hard Costa Rica, Mexico, Honduras, Jamaica, Panama were our hex opponents. As I bet you probably know we went 5-0 at home and 2-2-1 on the road for 25 points.

No doubt we're in a good place as far as qualifying, and that's ultimately the name of the game. We've only "lost" 9 points at home in the Hex since 1998 (1 loss to Honduras, and 3 ties). As long as we continue to take care of business at home, we'll secure our spot.

We'll certainly continue to increase the quality of our "friendly" opponents under Klinsmann. Road games against Belgium, Bosnia, France, Italy, Slovenia, Ukraine, Russia, Scotland, and Austria thus far from UEFA. Can't be long before we play in Spain or Germany.