Fran Brown | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would have to be someone he has connections with I would imagine he wouldn't just randomly hire someone he didn't know.

I think he might depending on who it is and what his game plan is with SU. Not saying SU is advising him who to hire but maybe there maybe a couple of guys floated out there by an assistant or from the admin that they want him to consider. I don't believe Dino had any connection to the two UVA guys he brought in after Bronco resigned.

I understand why some of you are worried about handing the keys to a 1st time HC with no true coordinator experience but consider this.

CFB is rapidly changing. New coaches no longer need 3 years to rebuild. All the talent you could want can transfer in for spring semester. Like it or not the portal is the key to the new CFB model.

Fran is a beast on the trail. He's crushed recruiting at every stop because he has the intangible skill to be able to connect with kids and families. They like and trust him.

If Syracuse gives UGA's Fran Brown "The Nations Top Recruiter" his first HC gig people will take notice. The media, and more importantly the players in the portal, will be talking about the Cuse. Fran has the street cred, dynamic personality and relationships to attract talent. Dudes will want to come play for his program. UGA dudes, NJ dudes, SEC dudes...

Of course most won't come if we don't have the NIL to pay them. We have to trust JW has (unofficially) orchestrated enough NIL to allow us to land talent. I'm guessing if Fran accepts the job it means we're in decent shape.

Deion transferred in 50 players and it worked to inject talent. They obv have some internal coaching issues and injuries but they came off a 1 win season. We don't need 50 players.

Neither JW or Fran would want a staff w/o experienced coordinators. I trust he can assemble a good staff.

But I love the aggressiveness and forward thinking to grab a Fran Brown early. Let's align with a young coach that kids love and use his strengths to solve our weakness - landing talent.

The plan is to reload NOT rebuild. Fran will keep the core of this team together and he is our best shot to add new talent portal and HS.

Let's not be safe. Let's not go with the guys too boring to make a splash. This is a chance to stand out above the crowd and get a buzz going.

Risky? Yes. Exciting? Hell Yes!

Go SUFBHCFB!
Dare to be great!!! Great post

Last post. To give everyone something to compare to. Based on Rivals recruiting rankings. Personally, I would be more interested to know how many of each recruits panned out. Who cares who brings in the highest talent, who brings in talent that hits and who develops talent. Doesnt help if you bring in a ton of talent that then doesn’t care and can’t find the field. Almost like a rerank the recruiters after the players they were responsible played for 4 years. But here is the best I could find. Obviously a much better recruiter than Monroe. But I’m not sure if it’s THAT much better to hire him solely on his recruiting efforts. Time will tell I guess. Now deffinetly off to bed as alarm goes off in 4 hours.

2024 - #1 Georgia. Monroe # 191 Minn
2023 - #8 Georgia. Monroe # 272 Minn
2022 - #25 Rutgers. Monroe # 121
2021 - #71 Rutgers. Monroe # 144
2020 - #129 Rutgers. Monroe # 121
2019 - #73 Temple. Monroe # 134
2018 - #77 Baylor. Monroe # 101
2017 - #177 Baylor. Monroe #189
2016 - #268 Temple. Monroe #157
2015 - #323 Temple. Monroe N/A

Man's been a db coach for 10 years, and has never even been a sole coordinator or called plays in an actual game. And he'll be a head coach of this program? He'll literally be learning on the job in some many areas. NIL is a big part of recruiting regardless of high school or portal, and I don't see us being big players in this arena. Sean Lewis was my #1 from the start, but his name never surfaced.
dino never called plays for more than 4 games before he was relieved of his play calling duties.

"Having the #1 recruiter won't have a significant impact on recruiting at Syracuse" is certainly an interesting take by some of you.
Exactly. People complained about Babers recruiting and our class rankings weren’t that great. Just improve our ranking by 10 or 15 spots and we should have a team better able to compete.

Well, that's what this hire yells - we've got money to spend on NIL. We just save a couple million dollars. Now, it's how we use it.
NIL doesn’t come from the salary pool

I would have preferred Mullen, Bronco, or Lewis, but after that I like Brown more than anyone else. If we were seriously in the mix for Mullen, obviously Brown is cheaper. Spend the difference on proven coordinators.

Brown can recruit. He has seen and been part of a winning culture at the highest level of CFB. We'll see if he can build a winning culture here. The X's and O's are the question mark. Coordinators can handle that.

With our limitations we probably can't outrecruit Clemson and FSU, but there's no reason we can't consistently be in the top 5 in the conference in recruiting. If he can do that, he should be able to get us to bowl games and 8 win seasons with some regularity, and then he'll leave a stocked cabinet for the next guy.

And whoever said offer Lewis OC is 100% right. He's got to be out of Colorado, and being under a defensive guy who can recruit at a school with low expectations and a soft schedule next year is about as good as it gets in terms of positioning himself for the next job.

Give me HC Brown, OC Lewis, and a decent QB out of the portal or maybe the kid who decommitted from Colorado, and that sounds quite interesting.

Well, one criterion - Northeast ties. He's from NJ. But people who think he's going to recruit at the same level for Syracuse as he can for a national title contender at Georgia are kidding themselves. A DB coach?? Not even a coordinator before? Seems like a disaster waiting to happen. This guy, Candle or Chesney. Depressing.
Nobody, absolutely nobody thinks he is going to recruit at the same level he did at Georgia.

If we could average a top 40 class and peel off a top 20 class once every 3-4 years that would be huge. That seems very reasonable under Brown, given that he got a #25 at Rutgers.

dino never called plays for more than 4 games before he was relieved of his play calling duties.

lol

Reactions: CIL
Dino had four consecutive seasons as a head coach though (2 at FCS followed by 2 at FBS). He didn't jump from being a position coach to head coach at Syracuse.

Dino had four consecutive seasons as a head coach though (2 at FCS followed by 2 at FBS). He didn't jump from being a position coach to head coach at Syracuse.
Yes he did but he was never a coordinator other than a brief stint from which he was pulled. He was a position coach mostly Wr and Rb.

Forget the Xs and Os stuff. Does he settle for 57 yard field goals? That's my personal criteria.
He's never called plays - at all. I don't care if he's the f-ing Rain Man of recruiters. This could go bad fast.

How is hiring Brown "Dino 2.0"?

Dino was an offensive guy, Brown's a defensive guy. Dino had HC experience, Brown doesn't. Dino is from California - played RB in college, Brown is from Jersey - played DB in college. Dino came from a lower level conference - the MAC. Brown comes from the highest level conference - the SEC. Dino wasn't known as an elite recruiter, Brown is known as the best.

They're closer to being the total opposite than are to being the same?
Well he’s not because I never said Brown was Dino 2.0. I was referring to Chesney or Candle because I don’t see either of them driving the talent level upward here.

We'll find out soon enough. Do you think we can pull a Top 40 class with all the portal guys included?
I genuinely don't know. But I do believe if a guy is ranked the #1 recruiter, then he has shown himself to be a top recruiter at the top tier. And I don't see why that wouldn't translate into being a top recruiter in whatever tier he finds himself recruiting.

He was a Defensive Coordinator at Temple and Assistant Head Coach at Baylor during a massive rebuild. I’m pretty good with that.
No, he was promoted to co-DC midseason at Temple. And AHC is a title you give to a key assistant to justify giving them more money so they don't leave. He wasn't running anything. Great recruiter and good DB coaching skills is literally all we are getting. Hope it's enough.

Being a ballsy hire doesn't mean it will be a good hire.
Doesn't mean it will be a bad hire either.

ALL hires are a crap shoot. If ADJW is willing to stake his legacy and the future of his program on Brown, he must really believe in him and went with his convictions. I respect that bc JW knows this might not be the popular choice. But he obviously feels its the best choice bc he made it anyway.

Well he’s not because I never said Brown was Dino 2.0. I was referring to Chesney or Candle because I don’t see either of them driving the talent level upward here.
Oh okay, I get it now. Cause Dino and Fran are damn near polar opposites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom