Fran Brown | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this hire truly happens I can see Nunzio being retained and possibly promoted It looks like they were together at Rutgers 2020-2021 I hope Beck is retained also and maybe 1-2 other assistants. And then go out and kick A$$ in the portal.

In the final analysis, there are lots of good X and O guys out there. The supply of good OCs and good DCs is pretty good, especially if you are willing to pay a good salary.

There aren’t a lot of great recruiters out there. We have historically had a really hard time even getting pretty good recruiters to Syracuse, forget about retaining them for long periods.

The role of the HC is changing. I think that person is increasingly focused on recruiting. You need someone who is charismatic; a great people person who can build and maintain relationships so they can attract good players and retain those players for the long term.

That is what Fran brings to the table. It is a rare and special skill that power programs covet. You can’t build a great team without it.

Almost no HC calls the plays on offense, or makes the defensive calls. It isn’t a big deal Fran hasn’t done this. That is what your coordinators do.

The HC position is more about getting and retaining talent these days. Having a vision for where the program is going and making sure the program stays on track towards that. Brown is well suited for the new era of college football. We are ahead of the curve here. Other schools will eventually emulate us.

Assuming we officially get him!
This could be Wildhack's speech.

If its Fran, hopefully good coordinators will join him, and hopefully he lets them do their thing, even if the going gets tough. I.e. if he starts overrruling them, etc, then we'll have a clownshow on our hands.

This seems like a huge risk, but WTH, let's go for it.

I have respect for a guy that went the HVCC route. Back in my day, they had a nationally ranked team, as I recall. At least one friend from the old OHSL South, Class D ended up there.

I'd actually prefer some combination of these coaches, like a HC Chesney, DC Brown, and OC Lewis.

Still prefer the smokeless Bronco Mendenhall.

Anyhow, will get behind whomever it is.

Was he on the list before getting to Georgia? The person he replaced as DB coach was on the list the previous year.
He has been known as one of college football's best recruiters long before he went to Georgia. Don't care about the one list. You can either accept that or not. And anyone with half a brain knows he won't get the same type of talent that he did at Georgia and I would hope you are one of them but I don't think it's crazy that he should be able to get some more talent in here. we get it, Wildhack didn't hire your guy or whatever but trying to throw barbs at Brown as a "recruiter" is beyond dumb. Draw on lack of HC or Coordinator experience? Sure I can see that and yeah it might not work but it happens

If Rhule loves Brown why would he be anti Syracuse w Tony white and not Brown?

I don’t trust anything I read because that’s illogical

Mixed emotions on this. I think he needs to get here kill the presser and then shut everyone up by owning the portal. That’s how he will get this fan base behind him. If you have question marks on your HC/coordinator experience then own and highly perform at the skill we know you are good at, bringing in talent. He needs to make waves in December.

He has been known as one of college football's best recruiters long before he went to Georgia. Don't care about the one list. You can either accept that or not. And anyone with half a brain knows he won't get the same type of talent that he did at Georgia and I would hope you are one of them but I don't think it's crazy that he should be able to get some more talent in here. we get it, Wildhack didn't hire your guy or whatever but trying to throw barbs at Brown as a "recruiter" is beyond dumb. Draw on lack of HC or Coordinator experience? Sure I can see that and yeah it might not work but it happens
It's the same sort of argument people made about Chesney not making the playoffs this year. They only look at the info that makes the point they want to make -it's so intellectually dishonest.

But yes, Fran was known as a great recruiter even before Georgia. That's why he was retained by Matt Rhule at Temple when he became HC and then went to Baylor with him and why he was retained at Temple again under Manny Diaz and why Georgia wanted him to begin with.

If Rhule loves Brown why would he be anti Syracuse w Tony white and not Brown?

I don’t trust anything I read because that’s illogical
They’re in different spots. White already a DC so maybe Rhule thinks he should aim higher? Brown is only a position coach so to skip to HC is a big jump already. just a thought.

Always funny how fans become fanatics after hires. Some people learned who Fran Brown was this morning and are claiming its a homerun hire. Others learned who Fran Brown was this morning and think its the worst hire possible. The truth is probably in the middle but the fun of sports is that we dont know and we get to watch it all play out.

Always funny how fans become fanatics after hires. Some people learned who Fran Brown was this morning and are claiming its a homerun hire. Others learned who Fran Brown was this morning and think its the worst hire possible. The truth is probably in the middle but the fun of sports is that we dont know and we get to watch it all play out.
To be fair, the casual Georgia fan (if there are any) might not even know who he is.

I couldn't name SUs best recruiter or DB coach if you asked.

The only Georgia fan I know is 3 year letterman, if I was still on Musks failure I might seek out his opinion.

Mullen was the only one that checked both boxes for chops as a HC and recruiter.

Everyone else had question marks of sorts. Whether it was coaching at a lower level, or moving from coordinator to HC - it requires some belief the person can make the leap.

I totally get the argument that recruiting is the #1 attribute. We've only been in the age of the portal for a couple years.

The useful thing is we will get lots of data on his ability to recruit in the next 1-2 months. If we are net losers in the portal, that's an awful sign. Or vice versa. I really hope JW is seeing something to inspire confidence. There is reason to believe this is true.

Otherwise we could be sitting there in in August with a crap roster and a rookie HC. I think momentum will matter and it will be tough to recover from that.

It's a gamble, let's roll the dice!

We have gotten plenty of portal guys already from football factories and thus far they haven't panned out. We won't know if Brown's portal guys are any good until we get into ACC play.

I'd think in the interview with John Fran expressed his goals and direction he wanted to take SU, offense, defense ST's. JW knew about the recruiting strengths I'd assume,

I think there is a difference between Georgia and Syracuse...the weather? Hope that is not a factor in his ability to recruit.
Such an overrated statement us locals have convinced ourselves into thinking IMO. How does PSU, OSU, UM do it? It’s simple, winning. We play in a dome, and teams only hold 85 guys, not every good player ends up in warm weather. Yes it has some effect I agree but not that much.

If it is Fran, it will be really interesting to see what Kirby decides to do with him after the announcement.

Since Fran is not a coordinator, I would think there is a real chance he will be released to start his new job immediately.

Which would be awesome.

In the final analysis, there are lots of good X and O guys out there. The supply of good OCs and good DCs is pretty good, especially if you are willing to pay a good salary.

There aren’t a lot of great recruiters out there. We have historically had a really hard time even getting pretty good recruiters to Syracuse, forget about retaining them for long periods.

The role of the HC is changing. I think that person is increasingly focused on recruiting. You need someone who is charismatic; a great people person who can build and maintain relationships so they can attract good players and retain those players for the long term.

That is what Fran brings to the table. It is a rare and special skill that power programs covet. You can’t build a great team without it.

Almost no HC calls the plays on offense, or makes the defensive calls. It isn’t a big deal Fran hasn’t done this. That is what your coordinators do.

The HC position is more about getting and retaining talent these days. Having a vision for where the program is going and making sure the program stays on track towards that. Brown is well suited for the new era of college football. We are ahead of the curve here. Other schools will eventually emulate us.

Assuming we officially get him!

I don't think we were far away under Dino. We needed a Northeast guy to improve recruiting, better discipline, and better prep. That gets us to 7-8 W seasons consistently.

I also think that SU has a ceiling when it comes to recruiting. Brown gives us the best chance to hit that ceiling, but it is going to take 3-4 years to hit that ceiling. It won't happen over night. So until he can hit that ceiling, he needs to coach up what he has.

I think Golden or Diaz would have given you that chance at hitting the recruiting ceiling while also giving you solid HCing. Brown is blind faith when it comes to coaching because he has zero track record. That is a risk that we did not have to take with minimal reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom