Fran Brown | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_3270.jpeg

And now it’s gone… post was deleted. ‍

To be clear, he was at Baylor after the SA terribleness, correct? I believe that is the case.

Fean Brown was interviewed yesterday.

Baylor: Brown followed Rhule to Baylor where he served as the Bears' assistant head coach and defensive backs coach for the 2017 and 2018 seasons. During his time in Waco Brown was considered Baylor's top recruiter.

Second Stint at Temple:: Following the 2018 season, Brown interviewed for the head coaching job at Temple that eventually went to Manny Diaz whose first hire at Temple was to bring Brown in as assistant head coach and co-defensive coordinator. After 17 days, Diaz left Temple to return to Miami for the head coaching job.

Brown interviewed for the Temple head coaching job, but it eventually went to Rod Carey who kept Brown on the Temple Owl's coaching staff as the co-defensive coordinator.

The single reason why this program has been in a never ending cycle of mediocrity is b/c of poor recruiting. If this guy can get us in the top 20/30 recruiting class on an annual basis I don’t see how we don’t finish in top half of ACC. He’ll be cheap so we can hire experienced coordinators. This would be Deon Sanders type of hire, but I’d rather give this a try than going down the same route that we’ve gone the past 20 years.

Colorado the prior 7 seasons failed to get 2 conference Ws only once. Deon went 1-8. They failed to get 4 total Ws only once. Deon had 4 Ws. The results were not there despite having more talent.

Deion Sanders was an all-pro HOF player in the NFL with a TV personality and every single person even casuals has heard the name Deion Sanders.

Deion Sanders's just head coaching experience was 27-6 record with 2 SWAC championships.

Deion Sanders's son is a round 1 QB talent and his other son will probably be in the NFL also.

Fran Brown is none of that stop comparing the 2.
Deion was hired as the HC at Colorado, a place he has no ties or connections, for one reason. Because he is a great recruiter.

Fran Brown is also a great recruiter.

If he gets hired here, it will be for the same reason.

Hiring a head coach for his recruiting prowess is a major gamble. It was for Colorado and if we do it, it will be for us as well.

But as I said a few weeks ago this is the gamble that SU needs to take at this point. I always thought it would be Tony but whatevs
Gambling in this situation is the worst thing the AD can do in my opinion.

At Rutgers they continued to gamble until they sucked it up and turned back to the known quantity - Greg Schiano.

I know it’s not happening but I would have felt more confident with our known quantity - Doug Marrone.

All we can do is trust John Wildhack.

The single reason why this program has been in a never ending cycle of mediocrity is b/c of poor recruiting. If this guy can get us in the top 20/30 recruiting class on an annual basis I don’t see how we don’t finish in top half of ACC. He’ll be cheap so we can hire experienced coordinators. This would be Deon Sanders type of hire, but I’d rather give this a try than going down the same route that we’ve gone the past 20 years.
Poor recruiting is because we are often viewed as an ACC doormat. Dino had some initial excitement, but even after his 10 win season, it wasn't enough to move the needle. Need back to back to back good seasons, to change the narrative. Easier said, than done.

So if I sell Lexus I still have to compete with Mercedes and BMW. If I sell Toyotas I am competing with Honda and Ford.
Being a good salesperson is being a good salesperson. Brown is competeing with and beating elite level programs for elite recruits. SU doesn’t need Mercedes we need more Hondas and less Mitsubishi’s.

IMO it is easier for a good X&O guy to hire young recruiters as assts than to hire a good recruiter who then needs to hire and retain a good OC and DC. Also IMO a recruiter HC is more likely to be a player's HC, which means less attention to detail and a greater likelihood of penalties.

Trust him? Kept boeheim 5 seasons too long, football sucks, and so does men’s lacrosse. If he were still at ESPN he would have been fired a long time ago with those results.
OP didn’t say we should, just said it is all we can do.

Deion was hired as the HC at Colorado, a place he has no ties or connections, for one reason. Because he is a great recruiter.

Hiring a head coach for his recruiting prowess is a major gamble. It was for Colorado and if we do it, it will be for us as well.

At least Deion had 3 seasons of college HC experience under his belt from his prior stop.

Fran Brown has never HC'd anywhere.

I've got no problem with him as DC, assuming we get an experienced HC.

If we get Fran, I wonder if the Bergen Catholic boys decommit from Georgia and come here

Trust him? Kept boeheim 5 seasons too long, football sucks, and so does men’s lacrosse. If he were still at ESPN he would have been fired a long time ago with those results.
Right now, we have no choice but to trust his judgement.

By the way, football doesn’t “suck”

We are mediocre at worst.

My Alma Mater Indiana University would be thrilled to have our program.

I don't see long term upside to this hire. Aside from being from NJ...why would he want to be here long term if successful? Especially when his top 25 classes can jump in the portal to follow him.

Gambling in this situation is the worst thing the AD can do in my opinion.

At Rutgers they continued to gamble until they sucked it up and turned back to the known quantity - Greg Schiano.

I know it’s not happening but I would have felt more confident with our known quantity - Doug Marrone.

All we can do is trust John Wildhack.
The one thing, more than anything else, that a program needs is a coach and staff completely dedicated to recruiting (and now the portal). I just think a lot of these mid/late 50s/60s coaches will not have that fire. Marrone could come here and go and 8-4 pretty easily tho

No. Its because everyone knows his name. NFL HOF, commercials with Saban, etc. His name alone brought hype. A big name can move the needle for a mediocre program. Like we were hoping with Mullen.

If Tom Brady/Peyton Manning etc. was named a HC? I bet they'd be a great "recruiter"... lol.

So he actually is a great recruiter!

Of the current list, he seems more interesting.

I posted this over in the Mullen odyssey but Brown is a legendary recruiter considered one of if not the best recruiter in the country and that was before he went to Georgia. The guy can flat our recruit. I don't know if SU would be in the top 25 like Tom said but they would make a massive jump and probably be right near there in his first full class, he's that good.

Deion is a great recruiter because of his name and personality not because he is a lifelong grinder on the NJ recruiting trails. They are totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom