Fran Brown | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
He checks some boxes, just wish he had some more experience as a Coordinator. But the NJ connections could be huge

Excited for Fran Brown. Can’t wait to see his recruiting at work and everyone taking back the dumb crap they’ve said so far.

Looks like this is a lock.

I was leaning Chesney but Wildhack and company know better than me. There are a lot of pros to this move, looking forward to retaining the Jersey players and hopefully pounding the portal like crazy.

This will be the new HC, let’s all support him. Goodnight guys.

“The Camden, New Jersey native is currently rankedNo. 26 nationally as a recruiter in the 2022 rankings by 247 Sports. His South Jersey ties and ability to recruit that area has been instrumental in Rutgers improving the talent and depth of the roster. He is credited as the lead recruiter for five current 2022 commits, including 4-star prospects Moses Walker (LB), Anthony Johnson (LB), and Samuel Brown (RB), as well as high 3-star prospects Amarion Brown (WR) and Kenny Fletcher (Edge).”

At friggen Rutgers. When was Nick Monroe a top 30 recruiter here? Oh that’s right we never had more than 1 or 2 4 stars out of HS in Dino’s classes so I guess never.

Yes, he has the reputation as a great recruiter. He wasn't selling lightbulbs to blind people. He was offering young players a "golden ticket" to play for a potential national champion.

I was a "great" PR guy when I was selling stories about what IBM was doing to make the Internet safe for business. I thought I was good, but ANYBODY could have done it.

Right place, right time.

Yes, he recruited well at Temple and Rutgers and he knows NJ. But we aren't Notre Dame or Michigan or Penn State, selling that kind of tradition to these very same kids. Yes, maybe he can get good kids here. I hope he can assemble an experienced staff to lean on.

Recruiting at temple and RU is the equivalent of selling light bulbs to blind people.

I love chaos. I hope he gets the job and hires Chris Partridge.
Ok, this would be the funniest goddamn thing that ever happened. Hire Chris Partridge and Mel Tucker. Instead of practicing at Fort Drum, we'll practice at the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility.

I understand why some of you are worried about handing the keys to a 1st time HC with no true coordinator experience but consider this.

CFB is rapidly changing. New coaches no longer need 3 years to rebuild. All the talent you could want can transfer in for spring semester. Like it or not the portal is the key to the new CFB model.

Fran is a beast on the trail. He's crushed recruiting at every stop because he has the intangible skill to be able to connect with kids and families. They like and trust him.

If Syracuse gives UGA's Fran Brown "The Nations Top Recruiter" his first HC gig people will take notice. The media, and more importantly the players in the portal, will be talking about the Cuse. Fran has the street cred, dynamic personality and relationships to attract talent. Dudes will want to come play for his program. UGA dudes, NJ dudes, SEC dudes...

Of course most won't come if we don't have the NIL to pay them. We have to trust JW has (unofficially) orchestrated enough NIL to allow us to land talent. I'm guessing if Fran accepts the job it means we're in decent shape.

Deion transferred in 50 players and it worked to inject talent. They obv have some internal coaching issues and injuries but they came off a 1 win season. We don't need 50 players.

Neither JW or Fran would want a staff w/o experienced coordinators. I trust he can assemble a good staff.

But I love the aggressiveness and forward thinking to grab a Fran Brown early. Let's align with a young coach that kids love and use his strengths to solve our weakness - landing talent.

The plan is to reload NOT rebuild. Fran will keep the core of this team together and he is our best shot to add new talent portal and HS.

Let's not be safe. Let's not go with the guys too boring to make a splash. This is a chance to stand out above the crowd and get a buzz going.

Risky? Yes. Exciting? Hell Yes!

Go SUFBHCFB!

Ok, this is the new reality. I'll promise to be cautiously optimistic if everyone else promises that this is at least a little bit of a weird choice. We can can all follow each other into the dark.
Amen... I am right there with you following you in the dark. Absolutely a weird choice (you are fibbing if you say otherwise) but its now time to ride with Fran

Coordinator hires will be beyond critical. No idea what he's thinking but with Lewis unlikely to be back at Colorado I think you have to call and offer him the OC position at $850K+
Was thinking same thing.

Would like to see an older, experienced HC come in as AHC or something, too. Would help minimize the risk, a little.

Looks like this is a lock.

I was leaning Chesney but Wildhack and company knows better me. There are a lot of pros to this move, looking forward to retaining the Jersey players and hopefully pounding the portal like crazy.

This will be the new HC, let’s all support him. Goodnight guys.

Ya I thought all things considered they would go Chesney but I think Wildhack wants to see what an ace recruiter can do here. Obviously its a major gamble and clearly if it hits he isn't gonna be here for a decade but it's an interesting strategy if nothing else. Chesney going to BC next year and killing it would be less then optimal if this doesn't work out but hey you gotta take a chance.

Was thinking same thing.

Would like to see an older, experienced HC come in as AHC or something, too. Would help minimize the risk, a little.

Didn't Lewis say he wasn't going to come back here to be HC or something? I remember reading that or hear that. If that was true and he wasn't going to come back as HC he isn't going to come back as coordinator.

I understand why some of you are worried about handing the keys to a 1st time HC with no true coordinator experience but consider this.

CFB is rapidly changing. New coaches no longer need 3 years to rebuild. All the talent you could want can transfer in for spring semester. Like it or not the portal is the key to the new CFB model.

Fran is a beast on the trail. He's crushed recruiting at every stop because he has the intangible skill to be able to connect with kids and families. They like and trust him.

If Syracuse gives UGA's Fran Brown "The Nations Top Recruiter" his first HC gig people will take notice. The media, and more importantly the players in the portal, will be talking about the Cuse. Fran has the street cred, dynamic personality and relationships to attract talent. Dudes will want to come play for his program. UGA dudes, NJ dudes, SEC dudes...

Of course most won't come if we don't have the NIL to pay them. We have to trust JW has (unofficially) orchestrated enough NIL to allow us to land talent. I'm guessing if Fran accepts the job it means we're in decent shape.

Deion transferred in 50 players and it worked to inject talent. They obv have some internal coaching issues and injuries but they came off a 1 win season. We don't need 50 players.

Neither JW or Fran would want a staff w/o experienced coordinators. I trust he can assemble a good staff.

But I love the aggressiveness and forward thinking to grab a Fran Brown early. Let's align with a young coach that kids love and use his strengths to solve our weakness - landing talent.

The plan is to reload NOT rebuild. Fran will keep the core of this team together and he is our best shot to add new talent portal and HS.

Let's not be safe. Let's not go with the guys too boring to make a splash. This is a chance to stand out above the crowd and get a buzz going.

Risky? Yes. Exciting? Hell Yes!

Go SUFBHCFB!

Exciting? This is crazy!
We'll know if this is going to work out soon enough.
Portal opens next week, right?

Man's been a db coach for 10 years, and has never even been a sole coordinator or called plays in an actual game. And he'll be a head coach of this program? He'll literally be learning on the job in some many areas. NIL is a big part of recruiting regardless of high school or portal, and I don't see us being big players in this arena. Sean Lewis was my #1 from the start, but his name never surfaced.

Last edited:
Ya I thought all things considered they would go Chesney but I think Wildhack wants to see what an ace recruiter can do here. Obviously its a major gamble and clearly if it hits he isn't gonna be here for a decade but it's an interesting strategy if nothing else. Chesney going to BC next year and killing it would be less then optimal if this doesn't work out but hey you gotta take a chance.

This is going to be like what if we hired Skip Holtz all those years ago.

Addazio I assume is a lock to be the on staff and probably Nunzio, beyond that it's a total crapshoot. Could go in a number of different directions.

I hate thinking of Addazio calling our offense.
I think he could get us a functioning line, but I don't want him anywhere near the QB or the play calling.

He was a Defensive Coordinator at Temple and Assistant Head Coach at Baylor during a massive rebuild. I’m pretty good with that.

Co-defensive coordinator for just one year and that was for a coach that didn't bring him on initially. The AHC titles are nice, hopefully they give him money to build out a good staff

He’s spent the last two seasons with Kirby watching how Georgia runs things.

He’s been an Assistant Head Coach at Baylor and recruited really well.

He recruited really well to Temple and Rutgers of all places.

This is a far more Ballsy hiring than I ever thought they’d make. Is it a result of missed other targets? I don’t know.

What I do know is Brown significantly upgrades our ability in the portal due to all these kids who are entering that he’s built relationships with over the last 2-3 years.

He needs a quality OC and DC and needs to stay out of their way. Act as a CEO.

This could absolutely be a home run.

Of course the earth could blow up tomorrow.

We don’t know but I love the gamble.
Reposting.

Was thinking same thing.

100%. That’s my hope as well. Former HC who can mentor him on staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom