Fran Brown | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
“The Camden, New Jersey native is currently rankedNo. 26 nationally as a recruiter in the 2022 rankings by 247 Sports. His South Jersey ties and ability to recruit that area has been instrumental in Rutgers improving the talent and depth of the roster. He is credited as the lead recruiter for five current 2022 commits, including 4-star prospects Moses Walker (LB), Anthony Johnson (LB), and Samuel Brown (RB), as well as high 3-star prospects Amarion Brown (WR) and Kenny Fletcher (Edge).”

At friggen Rutgers. When was Nick Monroe a top 30 recruiter here? Oh that’s right we never had more than 1 or 2 4 stars out of HS in Dino’s classes so I guess never.
Were the rankings before or after the numbers were inflated by Dohn? ;)

I really do not get this higher if it’s true. There is a lot more to being a head coach then recruiting. Clock management, game planning and in game decisions to name a few. Fran has never been a head coach and there is no evidence he has had to deal with these issues in the past.
People will argue that his assistant coaches can handle those responsibilities. I do not buy that and if that is the case higher the assistants as the head coach.
Recruiting is vital but to me now it’s all about nil. If you have nil and pay the player they will come or stay at a school.
Coaching still matters. Prime was able to pull all that talent from the portal and won 4 games. Yes he improved by 3 games.
I will always support the team but I do not think Brown would be the right choice. We will see what happens.

Exactly. People complained about Babers recruiting and our class rankings weren’t that great. Just improve our ranking by 10 or 15 spots and we should have a team better able to compete.

We don’t need to be in the top 20 of recruiting classes to be successful. We do however need to land somewhere in the next 20 programs and under Dino we failed to get to that top 40 level every single year.

If we see ourselves beating out Pitt, Rutgers and PSU for some of the PA and NJ 4 stars then that’s the proof in the pudding. That’s another thing that we consistently failed to do during Dino’s tenure.

I really do not get this higher if it’s true. There is a lot more to being a head coach then recruiting. Clock management, game planning and in game decisions to name a few. Fran has never been a head coach and there is no evidence he has had to deal with these issues in the past.
People will argue that his assistant coaches can handle those responsibilities. I do not buy that and if that is the case higher the assistants as the head coach.
Recruiting is vital but to me now it’s all about nil. If you have nil and pay the player they will come or stay at a school.
Coaching still matters. Prime was able to pull all that talent from the portal and won 4 games. Yes he improved by 3 games.
I will always support the team but I do not think Brown would be the right choice. We will see what happens.

We should have tried to find the #1 clock manager!

When you're a kid you think the head coach is making all the decisions and pulling all the strings. I think most of us get that's not really the case.

There are very few head coaches who are doing something so radically different with the Xs and Os. A lot of the success of coaching, especially these days, is about attracting the right players and keeping them bought-in to the system you're putting in place. Being a good recruiter suggests you have the ability to get people on board.

You say: "Recruiting is vital but to me now it’s all about nil."

NIL is recruiting.

Recruiting used to be about getting the best kids you could. Now it's about getting the best kids you can with the money you have.

Brown may be a dud. And if we passed over a BRILLIANT coach to take a gamble on him, I think that would be a mistake. But I don't think that's the case. I think to a certain extent, everyone left was a gamble. But Brown was someone you could say has shown himself to be as good as it gets at one increasingly important aspect of being a head coach. That's hard to pass up. And I don't think you'll find many knowledgeable people tomorrow saying that this was a bad hire.

Think outside the box and hire someone who can be a mentor as the assistant head coach with experience running a program.

Hire an innovative young OC who is willing to experiment (wouldnt mind keeping Beck) and can make smart in game adjustments.

Hire someone who is responsible for only assisting with game management. Clock management/Go/punt decisions, timeouts, etc.

Hit the portal hard!

The schedule for next year is easy. Hopefully it helps build momentum for a strong recruiting class and portal to go into a tough 2025 schedule.

As much as anyone wants to love or hate the hire nobody knows anything and we should wait to judge until a few years down the road.

Mullen was the only one that checked both boxes for chops as a HC and recruiter.

Everyone else had question marks of sorts. Whether it was coaching at a lower level, or moving from coordinator to HC - it requires some belief the person can make the leap.

I totally get the argument that recruiting is the #1 attribute. We've only been in the age of the portal for a couple years.

The useful thing is we will get lots of data on his ability to recruit in the next 1-2 months. If we are net losers in the portal, that's an awful sign. Or vice versa. I really hope JW is seeing something to inspire confidence. There is reason to believe this is true.

Otherwise we could be sitting there in in August with a crap roster and a rookie HC. I think momentum will matter and it will be tough to recover from that.

It's a gamble, let's roll the dice!

As DWiilmont44 said earlier, the Georgia 247 forum isn’t happy:

“Fran leaving for Cuse job probably loses us that NJ pipeline that he helped build for us. Cause he has been the reason some of the top NJ recruits have picked us since his arrival to UGA”

They are also worried he will poach some of their other recruits and coaches. Me likey.

I looked at 247 sports top 50 recuiters for 2023 which Fran Brown is 8th or whatever , What i was really looking for was how many head coaches are on the list and i found the grand total of 1 and thats the guy in Tulsa.
I have already posted in this thread that as long as his current head coach thinks he is a rising star then that a good enough reference for me but, I think many of you are overrating his potential to be a an elite recruiter as a head coach. Now Granted he will be able to use the skills as a closer but he wont have time to develop long term recruiting relationships with some of these high school recruits .

I hope this works out its but , TBH its not enough to make me buy back the season tickets i gave up yet and im not going to put money into any NIL collective . Its enough to get my attention and his best recruiting job might be he is young and energetic and can bring a style of football that makes you want to watch and be at the game and perhaps down the road give to a collective.

I had almost talked myself into buying tickets with a Mullen hire this one doesnt move that needle yet but ill be watching and keeping an open mind and not just looking at how he does right away at the portal but how he assembles his staff and how he develops relationships.

Most importantly does he bring in the fans by actions and words and deeds or does he take them for granted and think they should just show up and watch crappily coached teams and call them out for not showing up supporting them.

So how is he different than a guy like Hafley? I don't doubt that Brown is a slightly better recruiter, but Hafley had a better coaching background. They seem similar overall.

I think best case he is Mack Brown, who hasn't exactly killed it in the ACC with good talent and being in the Coastal.

And we don't have the money to pay top notch OCs and DCs.

If Nick Monroe was DB coach at UGA he’d be #1 too. It’s really not saying much
Nick was never considered a top 20 or top 30 recruiter. That’s why he stayed at Syracuse so long and only moved up to Minnesota when he left.

If he was the best recruiter in the country, he would be at Georgia or Alabama today.

Definitely a hire that makes me nervous of grob flashbacks. I’ll always bleed orange therefore I will support whoever is hired. I guess if you’re going to hire a position coach might as well be someone from the nations best team who has some recruiting chops. Seems like a cool guy based off some of his interviews . Definitely far and away from the choice I imagined when this all kicked off.

In the final analysis, there are lots of good X and O guys out there. The supply of good OCs and good DCs is pretty good, especially if you are willing to pay a good salary.

There aren’t a lot of great recruiters out there. We have historically had a really hard time even getting pretty good recruiters to Syracuse, forget about retaining them for long periods.

The role of the HC is changing. I think that person is increasingly focused on recruiting. You need someone who is charismatic; a great people person who can build and maintain relationships so they can attract good players and retain those players for the long term.

That is what Fran brings to the table. It is a rare and special skill that power programs covet. You can’t build a great team without it.

Almost no HC calls the plays on offense, or makes the defensive calls. It isn’t a big deal Fran hasn’t done this. That is what your coordinators do.

The HC position is more about getting and retaining talent these days. Having a vision for where the program is going and making sure the program stays on track towards that. Brown is well suited for the new era of college football. We are ahead of the curve here. Other schools will eventually emulate us.

Assuming we officially get him!

If the hiring process results in Brown, who has 1 year of Co-DC and no head coaching experience, I think it's a disappointment. I get how some of you may have concerns with Bob Chesney, but he is an experienced and successful program builder, coach, and developer of talent. He has recruiting contacts in all of the key recruiting states and high schools.

If Syracuse doesn't hire Chesney, BC will after next season and we will all see how successful he is.
Metrics wise we will get to see how it plays out.

I’m all for whomever we hire because I’m a fanatic and that’s how it works. I don’t know anything about anything.

I liked a northeast hc w a diff look at things. Completely different. Fran Frascilla may be that as well.
Time will tell. I think we have our locksley

In the final analysis, there are lots of good X and O guys out there. The supply of good OCs and good DCs is pretty good, especially if you are willing to pay a good salary.

There aren’t a lot of great recruiters out there. We have historically had a really hard time even getting pretty good recruiters to Syracuse, forget about retaining them for long periods.

The role of the HC is changing. I think that person is increasingly focused on recruiting. You need someone who is charismatic; a great people person who can build and maintain relationships so they can attract good players and retain those players for the long term.

That is what Fran brings to the table. It is a rare and special skill that power programs covet. You can’t build a great team without it.

Almost no HC calls the plays on offense, or makes the defensive calls. It isn’t a big deal Fran hasn’t done this. That is what your coordinators do.

The HC position is more about getting and retaining talent these days. Having a vision for where the program is going and making sure the program stays on track towards that. Brown is well suited for the new era of college football. We are ahead of the curve here. Other schools will eventually emulate us.

I've always admired your optimism and enthusiasm, tomcat. Here's hoping you're right.

The last sentence in your post is so true with today's crazy media reports.

I hope we have done our diligence on him and nothing comes out about him. He has been in the shadows vs as a hc. We don’t need a George O’Leary situation here.

That would be peak Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors