Francesa says Cal cant coach. Cal calls him up | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Francesa says Cal cant coach. Cal calls him up

Most of the APR requirements do not kick in until the end of a student athlete's sophomore year when he must be 40% towards obtaining his degree. So the one and done players at UK, who are required to have 24 total credit hours (12 of which can be in remedial classes) after their first year, for the most part, easily are within the broad guidelines. Every major program has their players in for summer sessions that provide up to 12 credit hours. Then each player will need to stay eligible during the season (fall semester) while passing an additional 12 hours.

Coach Cal doesn't get into trouble with the APR until a player who was expecting to leave after one year, sticks around longer.
So which players stuck around who was expected to leave caused Calipari trouble with the APR?

Between Francesa and Calipari, it's hard to root for either. It's like watching the Uconn-Kentucky game last year

Most of the APR requirements do not kick in until the end of a student athlete's sophomore year when he must be 40% towards obtaining his degree. So the one and done players at UK, who are required to have 24 total credit hours (12 of which can be in remedial classes) after their first year, for the most part, easily are within the broad guidelines. Every major program has their players in for summer sessions that provide up to 12 credit hours. Then each player will need to stay eligible during the season (fall semester) while passing an additional 12 hours.

Coach Cal doesn't get into trouble with the APR until a player who was expecting to leave after one year, sticks around longer.
I think this may be that year. The Harrisons, Willie Cauley, Poythress, maybe Dakari Johnson. I would guess Cal probably expected some or most of them to be gone.

Or maybe one and done guys finish their classes. Oh wait, they couldn't possibly, right Bill O'Reilly.
You think that Bill O'Reilly makes false accusations. You think that because you disagree with him on matters of opinion. You are confusing opinion with fact. Please point out a factual matter that he got wrong. For example, can you reference an example where he falsely accused someone?

I don't like the guy but it's hard to argue with his success, 9 Elite Eights and 5 Final Fours at 3 different schools in 22 years is impressive even when taking into consideration the talent he's had to work with. He even won an NIT which doesn't compare to winning the NCAA of course but I do think it says something about his ability to coach.

I would say that Cal has worked with much higher ranked players than JB has.

Since he came to UK, sure. At UMass and Memphis, I'm not 100% sure. Boeheim was killing it in recruiting from say the mid 80's till the probation period, and for the last decade or so has been recruiting at a pretty high level. McDonalds AA is just one way of looking at it; Boehim has signed 11 since 1990. Cal signed one at Umass (the legendary Donte Bright) and 4 at Memphis. Obviously you're talking 11 in 25 years for JB, vs 5 in a shorter period for Cal, and this is just one measure, but just throwing it out there

If we want to change the convo to how much of a king Mike Francesca is, I'm all for it. He's doing the ice bucket challenge today!

Honestly, who cares?

Every time UK comes up, you have many of the same people criticizing Cal, and many of the same posters defending him. History suggests that neither group is going to change the other group's opinions of Cal.
Or get accused of being racist for thinking Calipari's connection with WWW means you think he is a dirty coach.

If we want to change the convo to how much of a king Mike Francesca is, I'm all for it. He's doing the ice bucket challenge today!
I loved Francesca bullying Gottlieb's producer yesterday. Today's show is going to have a lot of Mongos it will be must listen radio.

I loved Francesca bullying Gottlieb's producer yesterday. Today's show is going to have a lot of Mongos it will be must listen radio.

I know, I've got the DVR set, but they're going off the air because he does the ice bucket challenge. He's been dropping some mongo nation references recently.

The other part of APR is that they have to pass 6 in the final semester, so it's 18 from Fall/Spring, and the other 6 can be from either summer (pre/post Fr. year).

I know, I've got the DVR set, but they're going off the air because he does the ice bucket challenge. He's been dropping some mongo nation references recently.
I am expecting atleast 1 segment like this.

Cal probably is dirty, because he coaches big time college basketball. He might even be the dirtiest. But I still think the guy can coach. He went 54-12 at Umass the 2 years before Camby showed up. All of the best coaches in the game win because th ey have great talent; that's how you win!

I have actually heard from a college assistant coach I know (not SU employed) that Cal is pretty clean now. The guy told me Cal cheated like crazy his first couple of year at Kentucky but the success he had with recruiting and turning out draft picks has made UK THE destination for top players and that Cal has toned down what he was doing to get players. Kids want to play for him, period.

Calipari is a great overall coach. He always gets his kids to buy in and play hard defensively.
Not a bad coach who was raised in the "Burgh" !! anat !

Another Francesa comment from Phil Mushnick of the N.Y. Post ! ♦ Mike Francesa could authoritatively get the time wrong standing across the street from Big Ben. After noting that his big-shot status allowed him to preview “Get On Up,” the movie about “Godfather of Soul” James Brown, Sitting Bull puffed that it’s a lock to be a blockbuster. After three weeks, it’s trending bust.

I have actually heard from a college assistant coach I know (not SU employed) that Cal is pretty clean now. The guy told me Cal cheated like crazy his first couple of year at Kentucky but the success he had with recruiting and turning out draft picks has made UK THE destination for top players and that Cal has toned down what he was doing to get players. Kids want to play for him, period.
I can't believe that assistant didn't go to the NCAA about those things Cal was doing like he's required to. I can't believe Calipari and WWW get away with that stuff. The NCAA should drop the hammer on them for all those things they were doing.

Or get accused of being racist for thinking Calipari's connection with WWW means you think he is a dirty coach.
What specifically makes Wes dirty if it's not about race? I'm guessing you won't be able to answer that question.

Schools don't turn each other in because almost all of them are cheating in some capacity. Ratting on another school is only going to get them to get the NCAA looking at you as well.

1.) if Cal. called him up it shows how insecure he was as a coach. I don't see J.B. doing that.

2.) Anybody who criticizes KY and and pay-pal cal. on the air only helps Syracuse in the dirty recruiting wars...Mike keep up the good work:)

1.) if Cal. called him up it shows how insecure he was as a coach. I don't see J.B. doing that.

2.) Anybody who criticizes KY and and pay-pal cal. on the air only helps Syracuse in the dirty recruiting wars...Mike keep up the good work:)

Mike and Cal have been friends for like 30 years. Cal was having fun with his buddy. Nothing more.

This is an absurd thread. He's a great coach and ab even greater recruiter.

Seriously. We'd like to think this is an intelligent fan base and board. This thread again with the Cal can't coach nonsense proves otherwise. I dare anyone to tweet Jay Bilas or something about this, lol.

Seriously. We'd like to think this is an intelligent fan base and board. This thread again with the Cal can't coach nonsense proves otherwise. I dare anyone to tweet Jay Bilas or something about this, lol.
Again, I don't think he can't coach. I am just saying he is an elite recruiter/motivator which are the most important qualities in a college basketball coach. I just find his Xs and Os to be about 6 out of 10 which I feel is a legitimate opinion. Bilas/Goodman/Katz would never say anything non-positive as they have personal relationships with the guy. Calipari's motivation blows JB;'s away, but JB's Xs and Os are way better than Calipari. I don't think my opinion isn't one that is out of whack. I am done with our Tar Heel guest because he wants to bring race into this and I won't have that debate where it doesn't apply.

I can't believe that assistant didn't go to the NCAA about those things Cal was doing like he's required to. I can't believe Calipari and WWW get away with that stuff. The NCAA should drop the hammer on them for all those things they were doing.

I think that the issue comes down to plausible deniability. There is no doubt that Calipari has really pushed the envelope and flagrantly violated NCAA rules at EVERY stop along his coaching trail--especially when you consider that both umass and memphis have vacated final four appearances from Cal's tenure.

But where Cal has insulated himself from penalization is that he works through intermediaries. That way, he can deny involvement.

Mason's post above is informative. It also shows that given their momentum, he might not have to resort to being as blatantly dirty and rule breaking as he consistently was before.

Last edited:
Again, I don't think he can't coach. I am just saying he is an elite recruiter/motivator which are the most important qualities in a college basketball coach. I just find his Xs and Os to be about 6 out of 10 which I feel is a legitimate opinion. Bilas/Goodman/Katz would never say anything non-positive as they have personal relationships with the guy. Calipari's motivation blows JB;'s away, but JB's Xs and Os are way better than Calipari. I don't think my opinion isn't one that is out of whack. I am done with our Tar Heel guest because he wants to bring race into this and I won't have that debate where it doesn't apply.

The race issue surely is irrelevant and should be ignored. You're a good poster but we will just have to respectfully disagree. I just happen to think motivation is a HUGE part of coaching. I understand that it's his own doing recruiting that style of player, the one-and-done stud. Getting them to play together and unselfish ball in less than a season is coaching. I would say X's and O's Boeheim and Cal are at least equal. I never meant to compare the two but we have seen articles written about coaching styles with quotes from assistant coaches on how to defend teams or scouting other teams. Numerous times other coaches have mentioned how Syracuse doesn't run many plays nor is what they do offensively anything special. Defensively, the zone is more complicated than what the masses think. Coaching in Lexington is no easy task. Most of all, as I mentioned on page 1, UK players almost always improve under him and do well on the next level. Talent yes but some of that is coaching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom