Francis new podcast | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Francis new podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dreaded Francis's favorite player curse for Jalen Carey.
DAOlLbPXkAAfI_o.gif

I would love to grab Carey but I have your concerns about what we do if we don't get him. I don't think Duke is realistic and I think Marcus is going to UW so I'm not sure where that leaves us. It was encouraging to hear what you said about Hughes. Although it was back in HS that is encouraging. I really don't think the idea of Ayala in 2018 is realistic but the more I think about it maybe he doesn't get some of the offers he thinks he will and if Carey goes elsewhere maybe he comes back to us. I don't know I'm really concerned about the PG situation.

Great pod, as usual. Always appreciate the time you take to put these together.

One thing I wonder about though is the discussion about players in the last several recruiting classes that didn't pan out. You attribute that to lack of player development, since the guys you mentioned all had decent/good rankings coming in...therefore if their rankings were correct, they should be good players out of the gate. I understand that POV to some extent, but what about players that over-perform their rankings (Ennis definitely, one could make a case for Malachi and Lydon. Going back further, I'm sure there are many others we could talk about)? When that happens, do we attribute it to the coaches developing them, or were they simply always better than their rankings indicated? Curious why you see some of these recruiting busts as a lack of player development issue, vs. the idea that we didn't accurately evaluate the talent level in the first place. Either way, it falls on the staff, but again just curious why you see it the way you do. Thanks.

Great pod, as usual. Always appreciate the time you take to put these together.

One thing I wonder about though is the discussion about players in the last several recruiting classes that didn't pan out. You attribute that to lack of player development, since the guys you mentioned all had decent/good rankings coming in...therefore if their rankings were correct, they should be good players out of the gate. I understand that POV to some extent, but what about players that over-perform their rankings (Ennis definitely, one could make a case for Malachi and Lydon. Going back further, I'm sure there are many others we could talk about)? When that happens, do we attribute it to the coaches developing them, or were they simply always better than their rankings indicated? Curious why you see some of these recruiting busts as a lack of player development issue, vs. the idea that we didn't accurately evaluate the talent level in the first place. Either way, it falls on the staff, but again just curious why you see it the way you do. Thanks.
Not evaluating the talent properly in some cases as you noted is one of the reasons why I've been so vocal about JB being more involved in recruiting. He has delegated a lot to his assistants over the past few years and is mostly signing off on players that he has barely seen trusting the judgment of others. On the flipside, myself and others on this board watched plenty of those recruits in high school and players like Roberson and Joseph for example had no issues being productive and playing at a high level against players who are now in the NBA or had productive careers in college. Nobody thought at that time they were overrated as top 50 recruits. Sure if you have a few misses then you can say maybe the players weren't that good anyway and nothing that the staff did could've changed that, but when you have eight players combined in three straight recruiting classes give you little to nothing overall then imho the majority of the blame has to go on the staff.

Not evaluating the talent properly in some cases as you noted is one of the reasons why I've been so vocal about JB being more involved in recruiting. He has delegated a lot to his assistants over the past few years and is mostly signing off on players that he has barely seen trusting the judgment of others. On the flipside, myself and others on this board watched plenty of those recruits in high school and players like Roberson and Joseph for example had no issues being productive and playing at a high level against players who are now in the NBA or had productive careers in college. Nobody thought at that time they were overrated as top 50 recruits. Sure if you have a few misses then you can say maybe the players weren't that good anyway and nothing that the staff did could've changed that, but when you have eight players combined in three straight recruiting classes give you little to nothing overall then imho the majority of the blame has to go on the staff.

Data, and life, has outliers. However, they are supposed to be outliers for a reason. When those outliers start becoming a trend it's time to understand what caused the instability in the process.

#realtalk

Roberson in particular was such a frustrating player. He puts up record-setting numbers at Duke, plays great in the march to the FF, and just when you expect he'll have a great senior season, totally disappears and has to come off the bench.
The guy sometimes played like a poor man's Dennis Rodman, but the mentality just wasn't there. :bang:Oh Lord

There is also a 3rd option besides inaccurate player evaluations or poor player development.

Sometimes it's as simple as a player just not being a good fit for a system. Sometimes a kid can have a specific skillset that just doesn't match up with the system well, or for whatever reason they don't mesh with the coaching staff well.

There is also a 3rd option besides inaccurate player evaluations or poor player development.

Sometimes it's as simple as a player just not being a good fit for a system. Sometimes a kid can have a specific skillset that just doesn't match up with the system well, or for whatever reason they don't mesh with the coaching staff well.

But of course it would go to the competence and judgment of the coaching staff that they brought that kid into their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.