frustrated by modern game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

frustrated by modern game

I work for a team in the WNBA now and have found it very enjoyable. It gets a lot of hate for all of the wrong reasons (gender sadly, athleticism, no dunking, not very high scoring). I always tell people that hate women's basketball that if they go play pickup and they can't dunk and aren't athletic, they're actually playing women's basketball.
I used to go to a bunch of Aces games when I lived in Vegas, I had a blast at them. In my younger years I enjoyed going to Manley and watching the women’s teams and always had a blast. Women’s basketball gets spit on because of a dumb stigma which you’ve brought up.

I used to go to a bunch of Aces games when I lived in Vegas, I had a blast at them. In my younger years I enjoyed going to Manley and watching the women’s teams and always had a blast. Women’s basketball gets spit on because of a dumb stigma which you’ve brought up.
It's enjoyable for the fundamentals alone, which the old gents in this thread surely should appreciate.

And yes, I'm going to keep calling them Shirley.

Every game here in Connecticut I've worked has been nothing but enjoyable. It's great basketball and the players are so talented. I really wish people would open their minds to taking it in for once rather than poo-pooing on it.

Every game here in Connecticut I've worked has been nothing but enjoyable. It's great basketball and the players are so talented. I really wish people would open their minds to taking it in for once rather than poo-pooing on it.
One thing I love about the games too is the crowd, great energy!

I work for a team in the WNBA now and have found it very enjoyable. It gets a lot of hate for all of the wrong reasons (gender sadly, athleticism, no dunking, not very high scoring). I always tell people that hate women's basketball that if they go play pickup and they can't dunk and aren't athletic, they're actually playing women's basketball.

What would a WNBA team do to the guys in a local pick-up game?

It's enjoyable for the fundamentals alone, which the old gents in this thread surely should appreciate.

And yes, I'm going to keep calling them Shirley.
Eh. When you've seen fundamemtals with elite athleticism, fundamentals by itself is boring. I watch sports largely to see physical superiority. Some of that is technique and fundamentals, but only part. I know I was spoiled by mid '80's to mid '90's basketball.

I'm not sure that's the right question. What would they do to a lower level D1 team? I believe the lower level D1 team would crush them, and I don't watch them either.

Make the 3 worth 2.5 pts. Problem solved.
Or shift the 3 to 4 points and the 2 to 3 points. Big men that can hit 55% of their shots should be relevant.

If anyone watched the Olympics, the Women's USA team was by far the best basketball team in the tournament, and none of the men's teams are even close.
The men's game isn't even anything like what the game was meant to be.

They’d beat a bunch of random dudes playing pick-up. But they’d lose to a good (not great) high school boys team.

What size ball ;) ?
It was the men and the NCAA when they took over women’s college basketball from the association for intercollegiate athletics for women (AIAW) (which was run by women), that the size of the ball changed. Before 1982 the women used the same exact size ball as the men. The women fought against the change but of course lost out. The men (NCAA) thought that the smaller size ball would help women dunk the ball, thus earn more money for their organization. So after 1981, women had to use the ball the men devised for women. I played in college and used the same ball as men throughout it having graduated by then. It was a big adjustment to use the smaller size ball. So it cracks me up how so many men will dismiss women’s basketball now because they don’t use the same ball as the men, when it was the men’s NCAA that demanded the change. Ironic isn’t it? ;)

How about going back in time?

Would a good WNBA team beat Vic Hansen's team from 1925-26?

Could they beat Central Missouri State, who won the first NAIA title in 1937?

Would they beat the Akron Goodyear Wingfoots, who won the first National Basketball league title in 1938?

Would they beat Oregon's team that won the first ever NCAA tournament in 1939?

Would they beat CCNY's team that won the NIT and the NCAAs in 1950?

Would they beat the Milan High School team from 1954?

Would they beat the Japanese team that lost to our Olympic team 125-66 in 1960?

What about Marc Guley's 1961-62 SU teams that lost 27 in row?

Basically, when did the women's game surpass what the women's game is now?

Last edited:
I miss the days of an 88-80 win with shots from all over the floor, including post ups and drives to the basket.
Syracuse vs Arkansas tourney game is the type of game you seek

Threads like this make me want to watch the ‘94 win over UConn. Skip to the 1 hr 15 min mark and enjoy the stretch run. You’re welcome.

Oh hey what's up 11 year old me. (in the white hat with the strategically folded brim like every other mid-90s kid).

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.20.21 AM.png

ugh. How about Syracuse - Texas (2003) instead? Or maybe Syracuse - Georgia (1996)?
The style of SU Georgia was not aesthetically pleasing .. SU Texas I consider more of a modern day game

ugh. How about Syracuse - Texas (2003) instead? Or maybe Syracuse - Georgia (1996)?

Under JB by decade

1970s
H 88.7 ppg
L 86.9
M 87.8

1980s
H 89.7
L 73.0
M 83.2

1990s
H 83.9
L 70.9
M 77.8

2000s
H 80.2
L 72.3
M 75.0

2010s
H 80.9
L 66.6
M 70.2

2020s
H 74.8
L 74.3

So far this year 77.5 ppg

The 2010s were really bad to watch. We are trending back up in the 2020s.

Under JB by decade

1970s
H 88.7 ppg
L 86.9
M 87.8

1980s
H 89.7
L 73.0
M 83.2

1990s
H 83.9
L 70.9
M 77.8

2000s
H 80.2
L 72.3
M 75.0

2010s
H 80.9
L 66.6
M 70.2

2020s
H 74.8
L 74.3

So far this year 77.5 ppg

The 2010s were really bad to watch. We are trending back up in the 2020s.
We had 2 of our best teams ever in the 2010’s.

But much of the second half of the 2010’s were horrific basketball to watch.

We had 2 of our best teams ever in the 2010’s.

But much of the second half of the 2010’s were horrific basketball to watch.
Beginning of the decade was good. The rest was horrific in ppg. When the median is 70.2 that is a rough stretch. Those last 7 years we had ONE season over 70.5 ppg. Our low the 36 years before that stretch was 70.9 ppg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom