FSU vs The ACC | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

First ACC motion will likely be for change of venue from FSU's hometown court. I'm not fully up on Federal diversity rules anymore but if possible removal to Federal court is also an option.
The GOR probably spells out where any suit against it has to take place.

The ACC should withhold money from FSU to cover lawyer fees.

Also now that FSU is announcing their withdrawal, the rest of the ACC should vote FSU ineligible for ACC Championships. So next year if FSU is 10-2 they need to get in as an at large because they aren't in the ACC CG.

FSU made their bed there is no reason for the ACC to play nice.
There is probably a provision that the prevailing party is owed legal fees

I don’t think that’s as unrealistic now as it might have been a decade ago. Those two conferences don’t really need FSU anymore. I think where they stand now, adding 1-2 more schools starts to dilute the conference, unless, the goal is to make a super conference to contend with the SEC in sheer size (talking about the B10 specifically there, obviously). But in that case, they’d need to rip apart half the ACC to make a mega conference.

Adding FSU doesn’t do much it doesn’t seem, at this point in time. What would be as funny if they were forced to go independent b/c nobody wanted them. Is if they left for $, got a B10 invite that equaled what they were getting in the ACC and it was for 10 years. So after paying off the ACC and then taking a smaller B10 share (which will happen no matter what) that they were worse off for the next 20 years trying to pay the debt.
I have to think that they've had conversations with the B10/SEC at this point and gotten interest? However, if you're one of these conferences and you see FSU suing their current conference, doesn't this make them even less attractive to join?

Jordan Travis doesn't get hurt this is not happening. They are blaming the ACC when it was the playoff committee who left them out.
I’m not disagreeing with you. In fact, it seems like FSU is blaming the ACC. But why? What the heck did they do to prevent them from making the playoff? The ACC would benefit from having them included.

The GOR probably spells out where any suit against it has to take place.
I didn't see it there; may be in the media contract which I don't believe is public. Venue I'm pretty sure was an issue when MD left.

The TV rights have to do with ESPN and not the ACC. Also FSU can lay claim that the ACC needs to pay FSU a full share ($30M) even if they leave the ACC as they signed the GOR.

As to the exit fee, Maryland got off. Texas and Oklahoma got off. FSU will get off at a reduced rate. They aren't paying $100M to get out. The courts will take their side on that.
And you know this how?
I mean I agree it'll be negotiated down, but why the certainty? I always qualify my personal opinion w/ JMHO. Just saying...

The TV rights have to do with ESPN and not the ACC. Also FSU can lay claim that the ACC needs to pay FSU a full share ($30M) even if they leave the ACC as they signed the GOR.

As to the exit fee, Maryland got off. Texas and Oklahoma got off. FSU will get off at a reduced rate. They aren't paying $100M to get out. The courts will take their side on that.
Why would a court do that?

All parties willingly entered into those agreements and my guess is that same board approved the agreement.

That value is what the parties agreed quantified the amount of damages the other conference members would suffer.

It was knowingly negotiated, it wasn’t imposed on an unsophisticated party in a weak negotiating position .

I have to think that they've had conversations with the B10/SEC at this point and gotten interest? However, if you're one of these conferences and you see FSU suing their current conference, doesn't this make them even less attractive to join?

I think we’d think that way but it’s kind of like thinking a new team won’t want a player from the portal who didn’t play their bowl game or left b/c of playing time. Seems “unsavory” maybe to some fans, teams looking for players don’t care though. Any new conference I don’t think cares about that at all. You could argue any of the teams they’ve added in the last 10 or so years left in ways that may seem unattractive. The new conference could care less how it goes down as long as they are benefiting at the end of the day.

All parties willingly entered into those agreements and my guess is that same board approved the agreement.

That value is what the parties agreed quantified the amount of damages the other conference members would suffer.

It was knowingly negotiated, it wasn’t imposed on an unsophisticated party in a weak negotiating position .
And the fact pattern will confirm FSU was involved in all of these meetings. I assume this is mostly PR and posturing.

GB92_r5WYAEfQu2
In conclusion, F you.

More from the lawsuit:

More recently, reports that FLORIDA STATE enjoyed scant ACC support during the CFP Selection Committee deliberations earlier this month proved particularly disheartening for the student-athletes in whose name so much of this is done in the first place.

So MuCh Of ThIs Is FoR tHe StUdEnT-aThLeTeS iN tHe FiRsT pLaCe!

GIVE US MORE MONEY WE NEED MORE MONEY... ... ... It's for the student-athletes, of course!

There is the GOR and there is the exit fee. They are two separate things.

From what I have read experts have said that the exit fees are not binding and would not hold up in court. The ACC wanted $52M from Maryland and withheld the ACC payout from them. They settled for just that amount leaving roughly $20M on the table. The B12 exit fee was $80M yet neither Texas nor Oklahoma are paying a dime. I think the ACC would have a hard time getting a $125M exit fee from FSU. And from what legal experts have said, the courts wouldn't favor the ACC.

The GOR however the courts would take the ACC's side.

So two completely different aspects here.

Any school that doesn’t want to be in a conference, and wants to be somewhere else, should go.

Just adhere to whatever financial obligations that were agreed to.

I’m so sick of all this bullsh!t. If FSU wants to leave, then leave. If half the ACC wants to leave, then leave. Just pay up.

More from the lawsuit:

More recently, reports that FLORIDA STATE enjoyed scant ACC support during the CFP Selection Committee deliberations earlier this month proved particularly disheartening for the student-athletes in whose name so much of this is done in the first place.

So MuCh Of ThIs Is FoR tHe StUdEnT-aThLeTeS iN tHe FiRsT pLaCe!

GIVE US MORE MONEY WE NEED MORE MONEY... ... ... It's for the student-athletes, of course!
ACC: We agree. Your $572M exit fee is for the student athletes at the remaining ACC schools. Thank you for supporting them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom