FSU vs The ACC | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

9 opt outs. I dont blame them if its draft prep. The way it is everywhere. Transfers and injuries. The other new reality. Bowls mean less. Even moreso, next year.

FSU being left out was a $$ shaft. I dont care if they clown them back.
Why would the Orange Bowl or any bowl ever want FSU in the future?

They wouldn't. Are the top 12 doing playoffs at bowls? If not, bowls will be far less interesting, going forward.

The new reality is transfers and opt outs. I'm guessing CFP keep many in - or perhaps teams will allow outgoing transfers to play? Those games will matter.

I wonder how many transfers/opt outs per team, this year?

Agreed. So does ESPN “solve” this by ponying up some more to keep FSU in the ACC so they don’t lose them to the BIG? ESPN seems like they could be the big loser here if FSU jumps ship.

FSU can’t leave now so who cares. They are leaving when they are able. Giving them a few $ now does not change that.

FSU can’t leave now so who cares. They are leaving when they are able. Giving them a few $ now does not change that.
My point is, ESPN could….key word….could….don’t think they will, but they could renegotiate the ACC contract to get their payout closer to the SEC and BIG to preserve that league. Back to my original question….what does ESPN want to see happen with the ACC? I have to think they want to see it survive and as a result, will be part of a solution monetarily down the road.

FSU getting snubbed could work out well for them. If they had gone to the CFB, they would have more than likely gotten creamed. This way, they can incessantly complain about the snub.
I'm kind of rooting for Bama just to prove the committee right.

FSU is playing tic tac toe while most of the rest are playing checkers and some are playing chess.
That is kind of a funny image. So I found this:

152723D5-3CA2-4FA4-8F8D-1CADC9BD2B58.jpeg

Agreed. So does ESPN “solve” this by ponying up some more to keep FSU in the ACC so they don’t lose them to the BIG? ESPN seems like they could be the big loser here if FSU jumps ship.
Doubtful. ESPN has had multiple chances to sweeten the pot, and hasn't. It's been more than obvious a coupla million "look-in" raises weren't gonna keep FSU happy.
All "Free Shoes University" needs to do is see the ever widening numbers for the P2, and they want OUT. They were gonna make this play whether they got in the CFP or not.

Last edited:
Doubtful. ESPN has had multiple chances to sweeten the pot, and hasn't. It's been more than obvious a coupla million "look-in" raises we're gonna keep FSU happy.
All "Free Shoes University" needs to do is see the ever widening numbers for the P2, and they want OUT. They were gonna make this play whether they got in the CFP or not.
Once they do this for FSU, it also sets a precedence.

Say ESPN pays the ACC team 50 mil more a yr.. Just where is that money going to make them a better fball team? is it helpimg spread other costs out?

I get they all want more money but where is all the B10 money going thats making the fball teams better? all I see is the same 2-3 teams dominating that have been for 40 yrs?

At some point the fball budget has leveled out and the extra money is going other places?

Say ESPN pays the ACC team 50 mil more a yr.. Just where is that money going to make them a better fball team? is it helpimg spread other costs out?

I get they all want more money but where is all the B10 money going thats making the fball teams better? all I see is the same 2-3 teams dominating that have been for 40 yrs?

At some point the fball budget has leveled out and the extra money is going other places?

Buttgers just re-upped Schady's contract for $6.25mill a year thru 2030... so it's going somewhere, LOL.

Imagine paying that shaved ape $6.25mill a year, LOL!

Rutgers just re-upped Schady's contract for $6.25mill a year thru 2030... so it's going somewhere, LOL.

Imagine paying that shaved ape $6.25mill a year, LOL!
He really seems like the best they can do. They seem happy with inflated recruiting rankings, collecting partial checks from the B10 and finishing in the bottom half of their conference every year. I'm glad John Wildhack wasn't settling for where we have been.

1. The ACC assets are cheaper in the ACC than they would be in the SEC. So ESPN has no incentive to move schools to the SEC.

2. Some of those ACC assets will end up in the B1G. ESPN has no incentive to lose those assets now.

3. ESPN has cost in the ACCN and does not want that to fail.
Forget GORs for a second. There is a way for ESPN to reduce costs. For the sake of this example, lets assume the ACC gets $30 million per school, the SEC $60 million per school and the Big 12 gets $30 million per school with $10 million of that picked up by FOX. If the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 go to 20 schools, they could take: SEC 4 schools, Big 10 2 schools (FOX), and Big 12 4 schools. So the ACC is getting ~$530 million now and ESPN can move them to other conferences and pay $320 million to 8 former top ACC brands with 2 going to FOX. Yes, they lose ACCN value, but in the long run, its going to be hard to move the network to a direct to consumer model anyway. Why wouldn't ESPN be OK with this as they save over $200 million per year?

They wouldn't. Are the top 12 doing playoffs at bowls? If not, bowls will be far less interesting, going forward.

The new reality is transfers and opt outs. I'm guessing CFP keep many in - or perhaps teams will allow outgoing transfers to play? Those games will matter.

I wonder how many transfers/opt outs per team, this year?
When it is not hosting a playoff game (and it, indeed, still is in the rotation), the Orange Bowl is contractually obligated to take the highest rated ACC team not in the playoff to play against a B1G team, SEC team, or ND. The Orange Bowl bid is the only one ND can't take from an ACC team because it can get a bid to the OB on its own. (I've seen some poorly researched bowl projections in the past that had ND taking the ACC's bid to the OB.)

Last edited:
Once they do this for FSU, it also sets a precedence.

Yeah, it's likely going to happen... just a matter of how much it's gonna cost FSU to buy their way out. It may very well be in the $100-200mil range.

Once it's done and that benchmark is set, expect the implosion to start, as other programs prep and monetize their exit strategy from the ACC for the B1G or SEC.

It will be interesting to see how many teams actually get landing spots.

I'd expect some B12 teams will also try their luck if they are guaranteed a landing spot.

I am curious to hear a viable position as to why the ACC would negotiate at all with FSU. I keep seeing references to lower buyouts but there is nothing I have read that could drive that outcome baring perhaps the potential of a court decision but FSU really does not seemingly have a strong case. So why would the ACC negotiate?
On a separate note does the ACC have any way to apply fines to members, for example similar to conduct detrimental to the league/conference? I mean there has to be some clauses in a contract of this nature that would go to protecting the integrity of the conference or something? Lastly can the ACC pay FSU in pennies delivered by dump trucks? I would actually pay to see that happen. Since FSU is attempting to go nuclear here why do anything at all that would be helpful to them?

Forget GORs for a second. There is a way for ESPN to reduce costs. For the sake of this example, lets assume the ACC gets $30 million per school, the SEC $60 million per school and the Big 12 gets $30 million per school with $10 million of that picked up by FOX. If the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 go to 20 schools, they could take: SEC 4 schools, Big 10 2 schools (FOX), and Big 12 4 schools. So the ACC is getting ~$530 million now and ESPN can move them to other conferences and pay $320 million to 8 former top ACC brands with 2 going to FOX. Yes, they lose ACCN value, but in the long run, its going to be hard to move the network to a direct to consumer model anyway. Why wouldn't ESPN be OK with this as they save over $200 million per year?

- Aren't they paying ~$400M now for the 17 ACC FB schools' Tier 1/2 TV? So that gap is smaller than you propose.

- If ESPN is turning that $400M into say $500M (no clue how much smaller or larger just giving an example) what does it matter what the cost was? By reducing cost they are also reducing revenue and profit. It isn't like by reducing cost they are getting a better margin.

- Why would the B1G just take 2 schools? There is no incentive to stop at 20. While that reduces ESPN financial commitment, it also is lost brands, markets, and inventory for ESPN. That is less revenue.

If the margins are small then sure, reduce costs. My guess is that the margins are pretty big. So why reduce inventory? If FB margins were small, ESPN wouldn't own all these Bowl minor games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom