FSU vs The ACC | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

They are AAU and they have a huge medical center too.

Well that only just happened this year. Apparently a lot of money has been invested. To most natives, the University of Florida has always been the best school in the State; Miami was the preppy rich kid school (I worked with a guy who went to their law school, and he called it "University of the Beach"), and Florida State, the college for working class kids.

Except the trial can’t be in Florida based on how the contract was written. I didn’t watch the vid but based on the fact they don’t even know all the information……..

If the jurisdiction is not agreed on between both parties, it can go to federal court to determine the locale...

Well that only just happened this year. Apparently a lot of money has been invested. To most natives, the University of Florida has always been the best school in the State; Miami was the preppy rich kid school (I worked with a guy who went to their law school, and he called it "University of the Beach"), and Florida State, the college for working class kids.
You have to let go of those old stereotypes. They’re not accurate any more. Even FSU is insanely selective now.

But FSU signed a contract agreeing on the jurisdiction already.

FSU signed a contract agreeing to a multitude of things.

That’s their problem -
they no longer agree with some of them, and are currently looking for a magic Get Out Of Contract Free card.

Spoiler - this ain’t Monopoly.
No such thing exists.

Pretty much everyone agrees - they got screwed by the Playoff Committee.

Pretty much everyone also agrees -
IF they were in the SEC or B1G this past season, they’re nowhere near even sniffing the Playoffs.

Their best chance - by far - of earning a playoff berth moving forward, is by remaining in the ACC.

If they get their wish, and are able to hop to a P2, it’s more likely they become the next Nebraska, not the next Bama.

But FSU signed a contract agreeing on the jurisdiction already.

And their suit claims the ACC violated multiple Florida state laws, hence the attempt to get the case tried in FL.

And their suit claims the ACC violated multiple Florida state laws, hence the attempt to get the case tried in FL.
The point is that FSU executed-and even fought for-the contracts. Not openly stated but based on facts, FSU is claiming their lawyers were idiots and now they need help getting out of a bad deal they were told was a good deal.

Honestly, they would be better off using their legal and financial advisors. But they can't sluff off blaming the advisors because the school educates professionals and has professionals on staff for this purpose. In short, the lawsuit is their "hail Mary" pass with one receiver versus four DBs and an O-Line leaking like a sieve. Their goal is to force the ACC into a negotiated settlement.

Even their demand to retroactively declare their intent to leave is a farce as it was not delivered by the due date as spelled out in the contract. In short, they are declaring they are breaching the contract, refuse to comply with the contract and that the ACC must now down and kiss their feet on the way out. Even Clemson, UVA, and UNC are not going to let them off that easy in spite of having and eye on the same opportunity.

Forget GORs for a second. There is a way for ESPN to reduce costs. For the sake of this example, lets assume the ACC gets $30 million per school, the SEC $60 million per school and the Big 12 gets $30 million per school with $10 million of that picked up by FOX. If the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 go to 20 schools, they could take: SEC 4 schools, Big 10 2 schools (FOX), and Big 12 4 schools. So the ACC is getting ~$530 million now and ESPN can move them to other conferences and pay $320 million to 8 former top ACC brands with 2 going to FOX. Yes, they lose ACCN value, but in the long run, its going to be hard to move the network to a direct to consumer model anyway. Why wouldn't ESPN be OK with this as they save over $200 million per year?
I was told there wouldn't be math.

Say ESPN pays the ACC team 50 mil more a yr.. Just where is that money going to make them a better fball team? is it helpimg spread other costs out?

I get they all want more money but where is all the B10 money going thats making the fball teams better? all I see is the same 2-3 teams dominating that have been for 40 yrs?

At some point the fball budget has leveled out and the extra money is going other places?
I think the fear (from the factories) is that the courts will decree that the NCAA cannot (currently) forbid schools from paying players directly.

I live in Florida and your point of view is correct. PS: UF is extremely selective now and is one of the top 5 public universities in the U.S.
That's rarified air. The 2 Cali schools, Michigan, UVa,. So UF would be ahead of UNC, Texas, Wisconsin, etc.

The point is that FSU executed-and even fought for-the contracts. Not openly stated but based on facts, FSU is claiming their lawyers were idiots and now they need help getting out of a bad deal they were told was a good deal.

Honestly, they would be better off using their legal and financial advisors. But they can't sluff off blaming the advisors because the school educates professionals and has professionals on staff for this purpose. In short, the lawsuit is their "hail Mary" pass with one receiver versus four DBs and an O-Line leaking like a sieve. Their goal is to force the ACC into a negotiated settlement.

Even their demand to retroactively declare their intent to leave is a farce as it was not delivered by the due date as spelled out in the contract. In short, they are declaring they are breaching the contract, refuse to comply with the contract and that the ACC must now down and kiss their feet on the way out. Even Clemson, UVA, and UNC are not going to let them off that easy in spite of having and eye on the same opportunity.

Even if the case, if the contract violates law, whether Florida or other, it can be argued/determined to be 'against Public Policy'. Accordingly, in that case, it may end up being null & void and unenforceable.

Even if the case, if the contract violates law, whether Florida or other, it can be argued/determined to be 'against Public Policy'. Accordingly, in that case, it may end up being null & void and unenforceable.

So, the best you can do is:

The highest powered lawyers from the ACC's schools (of which FSU was an active part), came up with a contract that's null and void?

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

You have to let go of those old stereotypes. They’re not accurate any more. Even FSU is insanely selective now.

Indeed. To your point, FSU ranks 53rd in the latest 2024 US News & World Report rankings. Syracuse University currently stands at #67.

Interestingly, as much folks here like to throw shade at Rutgers and UConn, both rank higher than SU at #40 & #58 respectively. SEC school Georgia currently stands at #47.

Reflection can be a difficult exercise.

Indeed. To your point, FSU ranks 53rd in the latest 2024 US News & World Report rankings. Syracuse University currently stands at #67.

Interestingly, as much folks here like to throw shade at Rutgers and UConn, both rank higher than SU at #40 & #58 respectively. SEC school Georgia currently stands at #47.

Thanks Nancy

The highest powered lawyers from the ACC's schools (of which FSU was an active part), came up with a contract that's null and void?

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

The best I can do? Of course, I'm spitballing here of an angle they may take as they are the ones commencing the litigation.

Have you ever heard of hold-harmless/indemnity contracts/agreements? Even the alleged and deemed "iron clad" types can be determined to be unenforceable from the seeking party if there's any degree of negligence as it's against public policy to pass negligence through a contract. Not precisely on point here, but the general premise.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF
Will the SEC contracts then be found to be null and void when the BIG ends up with a bigger monetary payout?

This is all incredibly stupid. FSU is going to pay <something> to get out. That something will be a large amount. I have doubts that the ACC will hold them against their will regardless of the contract.

In the end there will be a settlement but it's going to be pricy for them and the 3-4 other teams that will leave right after. It should help Syracuse et al remain viable until the next wave of stupidity shows up on the shore

I'd like to see the data of applications at SU since the rankings have dropped so far. I think their applications remain high. In spite of this reduction in ranking it still does well.

Syracuse, from my understanding, hasn't gamed the US News rankings like Northeastern did. NU basically reverse engineered the entire thing to move from mediocre commuter school in Boston to a top 50 school that is very in demand.

Will the SEC contracts then be found to be null and void when the BIG ends up with a bigger monetary payout?

This is all incredibly stupid. FSU is going to pay <something> to get out. That something will be a large amount. I have doubts that the ACC will hold them against their will regardless of the contract.

In the end there will be a settlement but it's going to be pricy for them and the 3-4 other teams that will leave right after. It should help Syracuse et al remain viable until the next wave of stupidity shows up on the shore

Why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom