FSU vs The ACC | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Sadly, the Big 12 has many more ignorant internet "ekkspurts" vying for supremacy of the garbage heap hill. The competition is tough, pushing the Dude hard. Who knows, with the idiocy some network may stay a "reality show" with these ekkspurts of the garbage heap.

The Dude has literally and figuratively, made himself a living by spouting CR rumors/innuendos/gossip, especially related to the ACC.
Lest we forget, he's a WVU troll, one of many that was butthurt when the couch burners were left out of the last ACC expansion, and Louisville was accepted. They've never gotten over the fact they had to scramble onto the Big12 lifeboat, and have vowed a jihad against the ACC ever since.

Sadly, the Big 12 has many more ignorant internet "ekkspurts" vying for supremacy of the garbage heap hill. The competition is tough, pushing the Dude hard. Who knows, with the idiocy some network may stay a "reality show" with these ekkspurts of the garbage heap.
I would watch a Physical 100 or Squid Games style competition to determine the most delusional fanbase.

I'm not creative enough to come up with event ideas for each round though.

I would watch a Physical 100 or Squid Games style competition to determine the most delusional fanbase.

Points for the Physical 100 reference. That show just captivates me.

I think you meant this right?

The rest of your post was well described and spot on of course
The point was correct but not explained, apologies. FSU "won" the point that they don't have a fiduciary duty to the ACC. This will be used against both FSU and Clemson when they argue, as indicated in their respective complaints, in their respective courts that the ACC has a fiduciary responsibility to them. Both have argued the ACC has a fiduciary duty to them (why they didn't argue the Sam for each school is beyond me).

Though the ACC argued FSU owes the ACC a fiduciary to the NC court, I think this was the ACC placing the argument in a favorable court and getting a ruling so they can use the same decision if necessary in the FL and SC courts, if necessary.

FSU "won" the argument in NC but the ACC has more use in the loss than FSU receives in the win. If FSU and/or Clemson could win the fiduciary argument, which I don't think they can, they would have a stronger case. Obviously, it remains to be seen whether the FL or SC courts will agree, but this is an indicator.

I hope this explains the matter better, especially as I didn't offer an explanation in the prior post. Thus, your point is correct, the ACC wins by losing the argument in court.

I was originally thinking along the lines of a bunch of know-nothings solving real problems then having to implement their stupidity. Like McGyver without the brainpower, skill, thought processes, etc. Your suggestions work well. Maybe the "Real Morons of the Big 12". Sadly, the Big 12 has good fans but with the hot air interwebs fans dominating the sites, you'd never know.

I was originally thinking along the lines of a bunch of know-nothings solving real problems then having to implement their stupidity. Like McGyver without the brainpower, skill, thought processes, etc. Your suggestions work well. Maybe the "Real Morons of the Big 12". Sadly, the Big 12 has good fans but with the hot air interwebs fans dominating the sites, you'd never know.
Boy that is true. For example, many years back into theist century I lived in Big 8 country and then, after a m,kive back east, then also lived in Big XII country . I genuinely like Iowa St fans a lot. I like K-ST fans almost as much. I like Ok St fans about as much as I like K-St fans.

But online, so-called Big 12 voices with ties to those schools are are least as revolting as the average KU fans.

I took a break and read a news feed from the Tampa Bay Times their version of play-by-play. The FL judge is allowing the trial in FL to continue,believes the ACC was forum shopping. While he may be technically correct as far as first to file, FSU will have to account fro breach of the clause that states all legal actions with the conference are to occur in NC.

The judge is holding in g out about FSU's claim as the matter being a State issue v. a commercial issue. This is weak.

Pretty much as expected for some home cooking legal activity.

The real problem for FSU is that the ACC was very clear about the exit fee and the rights running through 2036. Though not indicated directly in the news feed, it is clear that FSU will have to bring in ESPN to get out of the GOR, which is their real issue as the withdrawal fee is just that, a withdrawal fee and may be paid at any time.

FSU whines that the ACC is treating them as if they have left already. Ironic as FSU asked the court on the original brief to declare that FSU placed the ACC on notice last summer so they can leave this summer. Reality is likely hitting g FSU and they realize they are going nowhere fast.

Anyway, it is likely that the Federal courts are involved within the year. The IP rights of ESPN and the ACC likely fall under the federal courts, though I anticipate FSU arguing this is just a dispute over contractual terms to keep it in state court.

Then you have the Clemson matter which makes federal court that much more likely.

Surprisingly, the judge disclosed that the UVA president briefed the court that the ACC was forum shopping. This is either a surprise development or a stretch, either way, this could be an issue.

Edited to correct the source.

Last edited:
I took a break and read a news feed from the Tampa Tribune, their version of play-by-play. The FL judge is allowing the trial in FL to continue,believes the ACC was forum shopping. While he may be technically correct as far as first to file, FSU will have to account fro breach of the clause that states all legal actions with the conference are to occur in NC.

The judge is holding in g out about FSU's claim as the matter being a State issue v. a commercial issue. This is weak.

The real problem for FSU is that the ACC was very clear about the exit fee and the rights running through 2036. Though not indicated directly in the news feed, it is clear that FSU will have to bring in ESPN to get out of the GOR, which is their real issue as the withdrawal fee is just that, a withdrawal fee and may be paid at any time.

FSU whines that the ACC is treating them as if they have left already. Ironic as FSU asked the court on the original brief to declare that FSU placed the ACC on notice last summer so they can leave this summer. Reality is likely hitting g FSU and they realize they are going nowhere fast.

Anyway, it is likely that the Federal courts are involved within the year. The IP rights of ESPN and the ACC likely fall under the federal courts, though I anticipate FSU arguing this is just a dispute over contractual terms to keep it in state court.

Then you have the Clemson matter which makes federal court that much more likely.

Surprisingly, the judge disclosed that the UVA president briefed the court that the ACC was forum shopping. This is either a surprise development or a stretch, either way, this could be an issue.

I took a break and read a news feed from the Tampa Tribune, their version of play-by-play. The FL judge is allowing the trial in FL to continue,believes the ACC was forum shopping. While he may be technically correct as far as first to file, FSU will have to account fro breach of the clause that states all legal actions with the conference are to occur in NC.

I think everyone will settle but it'll involve structural changes across college football.

I think everyone will settle but it'll involve structural changes across college football.
Generally, I would agree with you. However, even though FSU floated a $100MM buyout before going to court, FSU does NOT have the money to pay the buyout. They are hoping to raise whatever money they need to buy out the ACC and the GOR (ESPN) and using the courts to drive the buyout downward. However, IP rights and contracts are not easily torn apart.

FSU is going to regret any discovery as ESPN has already interjected that they have breached confidential information. This is an uphill battle for FSU. Without any bargaining money they cannot settle.

I don't understand why ESPN would want to kill the ACC. The sports are competitive at the top level, they have great brands with higher academic prestige. The advertising demographics would seem very desirable to me (attracting more upscale advertising revenues).

From a programming stand point, don't you want a local group of teams to kick off your audience engagement for the rest of the day? It just makes sense, time zone wise, and it's obviously where the most people in the country live.

It's their LOCAL teams for the whole East Coast. Some of the best colleges in America, with huge alumni followings.

Why would you try to destroy that? Why would you throw away that asset?

Is the thinking that ESPN and Fox will each own one conference, only have 1 set of schools to deal with in their contracts? Maybe they foresee each of their 2 super leagues as having players who are union employees of the schools. Collective bargaining for player salaries, with slots like they have in the NFL by pick.

It's really hard to make sense of why they would kill off sports on both coasts. It's only where the most people live.

I don't see how this survives any type of anti-trust scrutiny.

And maybe I'm just a grumpy old guy, but I seem to feel an anti-corporate sentiment in the air, over what everybody now sees as terrible price gouging and shrink-flation ever since COVID.

I smell anti-trust fever in the air if the Democrats win big in 2024. They have to bring real change that betters the lives of people - lower prices, lower interest rates, relief from credit card debt and it's "used to be illegal in the 1980s" loan sharking rates that they charge today.

Credit cards keep people permanently in debt, just like education debt, and hollowed out bankruptcy laws.

Maybe good change will come. Maybe it will save college sports. I kind of see it going all corporate within 10 years, though; maybe sooner.

Last edited:
We are so screwed

OK, so here's the best brands likely to be left behind:
  • Syracuse
  • Duke
  • Boston College
  • UConn
  • Temple
  • Wake Forest
  • Vanderbilt
  • Georgia Tech
  • Army
  • Navy
That's 10 teams. Viable for football. OK, but a big drop in revenue.
Pretty good for hoops, certainly on par, in terms of brands, with the Big East.

Are there teams that might be kicked out of the Super Conferences, if they expand to 20 or 24? There might be closer to 30 mouths to feed, if some of these conferences want to further consolidate to avoid paying out so many teams "who don't contribute".

So, do any teams get throw out of the lifeboat? Probably not, but things are blowing up, and labor concerns may drive a lot of this consolidation for contract negotiation purposes in the future.

Who gets thrown out? Under-performers?
Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas (?)

Does this "Survivors League" do better or worse with more than 10, or 16 teams? Will it even feel like a conference at all, if it's more than that?

People say a league should want Central Florida and South Florida to get you into fertile recruiting grounds, but do they really deliver audience in Tampa or Orlando?

Do you have to have mediocre programs from Texas to get into those states for recruiting? I guess so. That's where the players are, and they want to play in front of their parents at least occasionally if they go away to school.

Do you see any way this turns out with us landing on our feet? Glad they build up the facilities while they had the money. That will pay dividends to keep them in the hunt for the next 20-30 years.

OK, so here's the best brands likely to be left behind:
  • Syracuse
  • Duke
  • Boston College
  • UConn
  • Temple
  • Wake Forest
  • Vanderbilt
  • Georgia Tech
  • Army
  • Navy
That's 10 teams. Viable for football. OK, but a big drop in revenue.
Pretty good for hoops, certainly on par, in terms of brands, with the Big East.

Are there teams that might be kicked out of the Super Conferences, if they expand to 20 or 24? There might be closer to 30 mouths to feed, if some of these conferences want to further consolidate to avoid paying out so many teams "who don't contribute".

So, do any teams get throw out of the lifeboat? Probably not, but things are blowing up, and labor concerns may drive a lot of this consolidation for contract negotiation purposes in the future.

Who gets thrown out? Under-performers?
Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas (?)

Does this "Survivors League" do better or worse with more than 10, or 16 teams? Will it even feel like a conference at all, if it's more than that?

People say a league should want Central Florida and South Florida to get you into fertile recruiting grounds, but do they really deliver audience in Tampa or Orlando?

Do you have to have mediocre programs from Texas to get into those states for recruiting? I guess so. That's where the players are, and they want to play in front of their parents at least occasionally if they go away to school.

Do you see any way this turns out with us landing on our feet? Glad they build up the facilities while they had the money. That will pay dividends to keep them in the hunt for the next 20-30 years.
There’s a viable hoops league in there coupled w the big east hoops

Football will work itself out. The academies won’t be left out completely

Since the players receive money from NIL/the fans and zero dollars from the networks, schools and conferences, can NIL possibly put a damper on realignment?

Since the players receive money from NIL/the fans and zero dollars from the networks, schools and conferences, can NIL possibly put a damper on realignment?

I see the unionization movement spreading, and major sports players eventually being offered salaries (and health insurance) based on a collective bargaining agreement. Maybe even retirement benefits, if they stay at a school for the full 4 years. That might be a way to incentivize half the kids not transferring every year.

We are so screwed
Based on conjecture from an Oklahoma State grad and Big 12 shill who cites no sources, provides no context, and closes by saying it is only relevant until the launch of the 80 team SuperLeague in 2031? If you want to buy into his drivel, buy into all of it including the proposition that all current conferences will be gone in 6 1/2 years.

Based on conjecture from an Oklahoma State grad and Big 12 shill who cites no sources, provides no context, and closes by saying it is only relevant until the launch of the 80 team SuperLeague in 2031? If you want to buy into his drivel, buy into all of it including the proposition that all current conferences will be gone in 6 1/2 years.

Sounds pretty reasonable....

I took a break and read a news feed from the Tampa Bay Times their version of play-by-play. The FL judge is allowing the trial in FL to continue,believes the ACC was forum shopping. While he may be technically correct as far as first to file, FSU will have to account fro breach of the clause that states all legal actions with the conference are to occur in NC.

Edited to correct the source.
Really appreciate your updates and expertise. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom