FSU vs The ACC | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Based on conjecture from an Oklahoma State grad and Big 12 shill who cites no sources, provides no context, and closes by saying it is only relevant until the launch of the 80 team SuperLeague in 2031? If you want to buy into his drivel, buy into all of it including the proposition that all current conferences will be gone in 6 1/2 years.

While I understand that this is "gossip", think about this. ESPN could have let the Big 12 collapse a few years ago, and chose not to. In fact, they bailed them out, and increased their pay out, even though they lost premier teams to the SEC.

Have we seen that happen with the ACC? I feel like ESPN is actively working to undermine the ACC and force it out of existence. Just look at the payouts. Look at how ESPN sits by silently while Florida State and Clemson try to leave the league. Those are ESPN's media rights, too, not just the ACC's. That is ESPN's content that they have paid for.

Which B12 teams will the ACC want to pick off?

It was the headline of that article - NC State, Va Tech, Louisville, maybe Miami, maybe Pitt.

UVa would want to go to the Big 10, along with UNC.

While I understand that this is "gossip", think about this. ESPN could have let the Big 12 collapse a few years ago, and chose not to. In fact, they bailed them out, and increased their pay out, even though they lost premier teams to the SEC.

Have we seen that happen with the ACC? I feel like ESPN is actively working to undermine the ACC and force it out of existence. Just look at the payouts. Look at how ESPN sits by silently while Florida State and Clemson try to leave the league. Those are ESPN's media rights, too, not just the ACC's. That is ESPN's content that they have paid for.
What would you want ESPN to do though, besides pay more money?

What would you want ESPN to do though, besides pay more money?
Great question. It depends on the value of the league to them. Maybe it's worth more to ESPN to let it break up. Does anyone know what their margins are on league contracts?

The ACC provides a lot of content for ESPN. How do they make it up? Keep in mind the woman’s tournament just outdrew the mens. There‘s a potential cash cow here. ACC women’s basketball is the best conference in America. Stanford and Cal bring great Olympic sports to go along with the rest of the ACC. The ACC is tops in lacrosse too. Bringing in UCONN’s mens and women’s basketball would not be a bad idea. The ACC will eventually lose schools, so it’s best to be proactive.

Based on conjecture from an Oklahoma State grad and Big 12 shill who cites no sources, provides no context, and closes by saying it is only relevant until the launch of the 80 team SuperLeague in 2031? If you want to buy into his drivel, buy into all of it including the proposition that all current conferences will be gone in 6 1/2 years.

Exactly.
I still can't fathom how that asshat was given such a forum to spout his bs. Check his track record: it's innuendos, conjecture, and speculation. Period.
He never gets anything right, but uses enough vagueness in his pronunciations to appear credible. SMFH

Last edited:

From a purely business perspective, ESPN doesn't have to do a thing. They have a valuable commodity at a discount, for another 12 years. Why should they volunteer to payout more money?
Sure the Big 12 is lurking, as well as the P2, but the WWL is banking on the likelihood that nothing will change under this contract, and the GOR will hold up in court.
Maybe they'll act once we get closer to 2036, but for now, better to sit tight and milk the ACC teat for a few more years. Though it sucks for college athletics, it's smart business sense. JMHO

Last edited:
In my opinion if Coach Brown can turn the Cuse football program into Top 20 team ASAP then we would be a more valuable asset to the Big 12 than Georgia Tech or Pitt.
The rational part of me realizes that there is no way that college sports, and football specifically, are going to leave the Northeast to Rutgers and Penn State. Penn State has a following, but Rutgers is nothing outside of Jersey, and while it is getting bigger in Jersey, no one in NYS is ever going to care about a Jersey team.

And while I would hate to downgrade football, going home to the Big East and going all in on basketball wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It would not be good, but better than the AAC.

The rational part of me realizes that there is no way that college sports, and football specifically, are going to leave the Northeast to Rutgers and Penn State. Penn State has a following, but Rutgers is nothing outside of Jersey, and while it is getting bigger in Jersey, no one in NYS is ever going to care about a Jersey team.

And while I would hate to downgrade football, going home to the Big East and going all in on basketball wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It would not be good, but better than the AAC.
I think it's a question of when not if that we end up with our big east friends again. I don't know the football unlock but if we're going to be without a home in football i'd rather be in a home with our basketball asset (and that's what we are talking about, college assets at this point).

We need to get back with UConn, Nova, Town, St. Johns. Bring along some new friends (Duke?) and then hope football realizes the north east matters to whatever is formed

I think it's a question of when not if that we end up with our big east friends again. I don't know the football unlock but if we're going to be without a home in football i'd rather be in a home with our basketball asset (and that's what we are talking about, college assets at this point).

We need to get back with UConn, Nova, Town, St. Johns. Bring along some new friends (Duke?) and then hope football realizes the north east matters to whatever is formed

I'm willing to take that bet.
The Big East train has long left the station. It's a pipe dream. JMHO

The biggest mistake that the ACC made was to add SMU, Stanford, and Cal. I would have added UConn, USF, and West Virginia (leave after the Big 12 contract expires).

I'm willing to take that bet.
The Big East train has long left the station. It's a pipe dream. JMHO
If it's the Big East or toiling against Memphis, North Texas and ECU, I really hope it's the Big East. Though I think we'll be in some ACC/Big 12 hybrid.

The biggest mistake that the ACC made was to add SMU, Stanford, and Cal. I would have added UConn, USF, and West Virginia (leave after the Big 12 contract expires).
WVU in a perfect world would be in the ACC. Sadly they had no way of joining in 2023 and are in a conference that is currently stable, so why would they leave that for anything other the that big 2 conferences?

Great question. It depends on the value of the league to them. Maybe it's worth more to ESPN to let it break up. Does anyone know what their margins are on league contracts?

The ACC contract is the cheapest of the P5 (now P4, since the Pac-12 disbanded).

The ACC contract is the cheapest of the P5 (now P4, since the Pac-12 disbanded).
That's only because the Big 12 hasn't had to negotiate yet. ACC contract locked in. Big 12 teams might be begging for an invite. I don't think the Big 12 teams are going to command that much. Arizona, Utah and Colorado are their only really big markets. Kansas and WV are tiny. They have a strong presence in Texas but dwarfed by UT and A&M. They're also the little brother school in Oklahoma and Iowa, two insignificant states. I think they're in for a rude awakening and hopefully that will hold the ACC together long enough.

That's only because the Big 12 hasn't had to negotiate yet. ACC contract locked in. Big 12 teams might be begging for an invite. I don't think the Big 12 teams are going to command that much. Arizona, Utah and Colorado are their only really big markets. Kansas and WV are tiny. They have a strong presence in Texas but dwarfed by UT and A&M. They're also the little brother school in Oklahoma and Iowa, two insignificant states. I think they're in for a rude awakening and hopefully that will hold the ACC together long enough.

You're missing the point.

When the Big 12 lost Texas and Oklahoma a year or two ago to the SEC, the ACC had cause under their contract to renegotiate - and not only refused to lower the Big 12's pay-out, they freaking RAISED IT !!

They gave them more money for losing their 2 best teams to the SEC. Help me understand that.

You're missing the point.

When the Big 12 lost Texas and Oklahoma a year or two ago to the SEC, the ACC had cause under their contract to renegotiate - and not only refused to lower the Big 12's pay-out, they freaking RAISED IT !!

They gave them more money for losing their 2 best teams to the SEC. Help me understand that.
You mean ESPN?

You mean ESPN?

Yes. ESPN bailed out the Big 12 and paid them more when they lost their 2 best teams to avoid an anti-trust suit from Texas and Oklahoma state governments.

ACC and Fox killed that Pac 12, and seem intent on killing the ACC. Do you have another take?

Yes. ESPN bailed out the Big 12 and paid them more when they lost their 2 best teams to avoid an anti-trust suit from Texas and Oklahoma state governments.

ACC and Fox killed that Pac 12, and seem intent on killing the ACC. Do you have another take?
Literally no one has been able to tell me when I have asked the question "Why would ESPN want to "kill" the ACC when they own half of the ACCN?"

Are they stupid?

Literally no one has been able to tell me when I have asked the question "Why would ESPN want to "kill" the ACC when they own half of the ACCN?"

Are they stupid?

Apparently so.
You don't see them trying to do anything from stopping it from happening, do you?

Exactly.
I still can't fathom how that asshat was given such a forum to spout his bs. Check his track record: it's innuendos, conjecture, and speculation. Period.
He never gets anything right, but uses enough vagueness in his pronunciations to appear credible. SMFH
The next time he gets something right about conference realignment will be the first time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom