Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Michele Wheatly’s proposed STEM focus divides SU faculty
So I think this sheds a little light on some of the challenges that the administration faces with regard to spending. The humanities faculty seem to see a problem with spending anywhere but on them. I have been saying for some time that the school is headed in the direction of STEM and research in part to raise the academic profile and in part to raise the potential income through new programs, papers, grants, and patents. Michele Wheatly's hiring was a sign that was clearly pointing in that direction ( Michele Wheatly's push for STEM strategy follows trend of her career ) and the new CFO hire is along the same path. Syverud himself is a symbol of this direction. The rhetoric in the above article is some of why we are having a problem with AD spending on things like the Dome. I see the other side too, but they seem to be becoming more a roadblock than facilitators and protectors of the academics.
As a biology PhD I'm all for increasing investments in the STEM fields, as that is one of the best ways to keep the research $ coming in to SU. I do think there should be some modicum of balance though, and the value of the humanities should not be discounted.

I'll also say that I met Michele Wheatly here at WVU at a research experience for undergrads event before Gee canned her. It was a very...unusual...experience and would probably make the skin crawl on many of the posters here.

I heard this at first but received better info from better sources that a fabric roof replacement is a last resort option (especially from a safety perspective). Without NY state assistance, the reno had to be scaled back from earlier estimates of over $250 million (Coumo is the wildcard here so could still happen). Last numbers I heard was about $100 million to install a fixed roof, led lighting & sound system leaving everything else like the walls the same (smaller projects like lockers, boxes and seating can happen at any time). They really want to replace the current roof with a fixed one for longevity.

Funding should come from 2 sources - regular donations but most importantly ACC TV money supposedly not earmarked yet. The big issue is where has all the income from the ACC has gone - Alsacs raised this issue on the basketball side of the forum. My understanding is a lot of current ACC revenue streams have been diverted to SU to balance the acedemic budget. I'm told the operating budget is balanced now and they stopped dipping into the endowment principal anymore.

Thank you that sounds a little more realistic and positive.
Something needs to be a little more permanent than teflon. A fixed roof is more money efficient
I also know that Kent isn't "sports motivated" as he is with academics. That's understandable. I'm sure AD Wildhack is having fun trying to get anything done.
I heard that Nancy really put the school into a negative situation with all her connective corridor stuff

Everyone knows the benefits of athletic updates. Hopefully they can realistically afford something awesome soon

As a biology PhD I'm all for increasing investments in the STEM fields, as that is one of the best ways to keep the research $ coming in to SU. I do think there should be some modicum of balance though, and the value of the humanities should not be discounted.

I'll also say that I met Michele Wheatly here at WVU at a research experience for undergrads event before Gee canned her. It was a very...unusual...experience and would probably make the skin crawl on many of the posters here.
Agree about striking a balance. I think it is somewhat lacking now but in the opposite direction. I am very curious about your skin crawling experience. What put you off?

Agree about striking a balance. I think it is somewhat lacking now but in the opposite direction. I am very curious about your skin crawling experience. What put you off?
If anyone wants to hear the story, feel free to PM me. Probably not the best idea to rehash it all in a totally public forum. I thought it was more odd than anything else, but it's the kind of thing some people get really offended over.

watching the chobani dude on 60 minutes being a billionaire who started making money just down the road i hope they are reaching out for a donation.. there arent that many business making money like that around here.

Yogurt? I hate yogurt!
Yo Baby is delicious. And so is Wegmans brand. And then of course you've got those little yogurts topped with m&m's or Butterfinger bits or what have you. Open your horizons, my friends!

Yo Baby is delicious. And so is Wegmans brand. And then of course you've got those little yogurts topped with m&m's or Butterfinger bits or what have you. Open your horizons, my friends!
I actually love yogurt. I was quoting Spaceballs.:)

What am STEM?
Science, Technology, Engineering, Math

To these, you can add Medicine, Management (hard-accounting, finance, logistics, not soft-economics) and a few other degrees, anything not a soft science, humanities, or arts. This refers to degrees, not specific courses of study. Essentially, degrees that require higher levels of effort to obtain and excel, thus they are also much more likely to be higher income (and hopefully higher donations to the U!)

To these, you can add Medicine, Management (hard-accounting, finance, logistics, not soft-economics) and a few other degrees, anything not a soft science, humanities, or arts. This refers to degrees, not specific courses of study. Essentially, degrees that require higher levels of effort to obtain and excel, thus they are also much more likely to be higher income (and hopefully higher donations to the U!)
th

What's an example of soft economics?

In my experience, management can be one of the squishier courses of study. A true economics major at a good school, on the other hand, is one of the more intellectually rigorous majors.

In my experience, management can be one of the squishier courses of study. A true economics major at a good school, on the other hand, is one of the more intellectually rigorous majors.
Economists make great number crunchers. Newspapers and think tanks throw big data sets at them all the time and say, "Find the trends in the data, and does the data support XYZ conclusion?" Economists can do real math, so yeah.

Well, from the analysis branch of math, anyway. Not sure about topology or combinatorics. ;)

Heh...I was just going to post something similar...

I agree there are several management/business degrees that are soft. There are several that are hard, i.e accounting. The more in demand a skill set is, the more exclusive a skill set is, the harder to find the person for the job. Retail management is an example where the degree would be soft. NOTE: That is not to say that the higher level retail management positions are not lucrative.

As to economics, your qualifying statement bears out my point. Cream will rise to the top and the top are paid better than those below them. However, most economists are not paid as well.

This is not to say that softer studies (arts, humanities, social degrees, etc.) are not important nor as valuable, simply that the emphasis should be training people for careers in demand, the other topics can round out an education or become personal pursuits.

Heh...I was just going to post something similar...

Part of the reason I say this is because I got a C- in micro as a freshman, wasn't allowed to continue at an econ major until I improved upon that, so I switched over to philosophy (which didn't stick either). One of my good friends was plodding along in econ with a GPA a little under 3.0, then transferred to Lehigh, shifted his major to management-something-or-other, and started getting As with, according to him, not much work.

Part of the reason I say this is because I got a C- in micro as a freshman, wasn't allowed to continue at an econ major until I improved upon that, so I switched over to philosophy (which didn't stick either). One of my good friends was plodding along in econ with a GPA a little under 3.0, then transferred to Lehigh, shifted his major to management-something-or-other, and started getting As with, according to him, not much work.

I was a communications major. My brother and dad are both accountants and have the business mind in the family and I'm more creative. But I did get a general business minor and even I got a high B in management. By far, my easiest business course of the 5 I took for a minor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom