Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
fainting couch.jpg

Ow wow! They'll have fainting couches for when they hear an opinion that might offend them?

Just saw that, thanks. Either way, I hope she'd understand that she's made a false distinction between "vehicles" and "bicycles."
Come on, really? In the scheme of things, that distinction is not supremely important. Maybe SU said "motor vehicles" and she left that distinction out?

View attachment 61567

Ow wow! They'll have fainting couches for when they hear an opinion that might offend them?
This is the state of modern education. I did a lot of head-shaking while taking college visits with my son last summer. Lots and lots of money being spent on coddling every single special interest group on campuses.

Come on, really? In the scheme of things, that distinction is not supremely important. Maybe SU said "motor vehicles" and she left that distinction out?

I mean, it's a very important distinction for anyone who drives a car or rides a bike (which is a big chunk of the population).

But it's important to this project because it's not safe to have vehicular (bicycle) traffic zipping along with and against pedestrian traffic, all of whom have been conditioned to expect a vehicle-free space and many of whom are habitually oblivious to everything around them, in an 18'-wide paved space. SU and the designer are clinging to this despite some signs that it's an under-designed proposal.

There's a reason these two modes are usually kept separate.

I just want to know how all this factors into the dome Reno. The post about the usher was the last meaningful blurb in this thread. To that end I'm not gonna be happy if they put benchbacks in the 300s - it's already tight without them.

Aysha Seedat ‏@ayshaseedat 41s41 seconds ago
There will be a health promotion and education space as well as a pharmacy in Archbold as well.

Plans for yoga studio and mental health relaxation space in Archbold as well.

There will also be a bouldering/climbing wall, three story amenity!

Juice bar and a six lane pool on level 1.

Gender neutral lockers and bathrooms as well!

Gender neutral lockers? Is that PC speak for co-ed locker rooms?

Gender neutral lockers? Is that PC speak for co-ed locker rooms?

isnt the term "co-ed" an outdated, sexist, social construct that if muttered aloud may cause the need for the aforementioned fainting couches?

isnt the term "co-ed" an outdated, s e xist, social construct that if muttered aloud may cause the need for the aforementioned fainting couches?

Dated for sure. But I believe you can blame Louisa May Alcott (s exist that she was).

isnt the term "co-ed" an outdated, s e xist, social construct that if muttered aloud may cause the need for the aforementioned fainting couches?

Why is the term sexist? We say co-ed volleyball or softball about recreational activities. The phrase is old fashioned slang for female students, but I didn't use it in that sense.

What does "gender neutral" even mean? We come in genders.

Why is the term s e xist? We say co-ed volleyball or softball about recreational activities. The phrase is old fashioned slang for female students, but I didn't use it in that sense.

Years ago I used the term 'a girl in my office' in a conversation, the same way I'd say 'a guy in my office', and took a figurative beating from someone. I had no idea that 'girl' had become a sexist word.

A few years ago I used the term 'a girl in my office' in a conversation, the same way I'd say 'a guy in my office', and took a figurative beating from someone. I had no idea that 'girl' had become a s e xist word.

I encountered that once several years ago, too. I get it, but people can be so hyper-sensitive about this stuff.

Why is the term s e xist? We say co-ed volleyball or softball about recreational activities. The phrase is old fashioned slang for female students, but I didn't use it in that sense.

No you are wrong. just ask Curt Schilling.

Annie Palmer ‏@annierpalmer
This isn't new info, but plans for funding/design of new buildings on campus will likely begin next year. Includes athletic facilities, too.

Beginning this year, Dome Operations and the Athletics Department budgets will be reported separately. (1/2)

The change will "enhance transparency" and help achieve a more balanced budget, per the budget committee report. (2/2)

Let's all focus on the future campus framework and take the other issues to the OT board. Thanks!

I just want to know when we're going to hear something tangible about the Dome. This has been strung out way too long. Rumors, whispers, theories... enough! Someone please just tell us when we should check back to this thread? Next summer? 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom