Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking out of my perverbial back side, my best guess is that it (the work, not the roof) would look something like this ... saw this from the outside yesterday here in South Florida.

Awesome Photos of Maxim’s Manitowoc crawler cranes in Full Synchronization Mode at Miami’s Sun Life Stadium $400 million upgrade – Machine.Market Minutes

Great pics! But I noticed how flat and relatively open the the ground is around the stadium--gonna be a bit more challenging in the confined, hilly space around the Dome. Interesting challenge...

Great pics! But I noticed how flat and relatively open the the ground is around the stadium--gonna be a bit more challenging in the confined, hilly space around the Dome. Interesting challenge...
yup......and buildings are tight to one another.

cranes will have to be placed inside the stadium.

so if the plan is to not miss any home games how is this possible?
24 hours a day 7 days a week to get it done.People who live close by will be pissed off at the night lighting and sounds of the machinery to be used to make it safe.

24 hours a day 7 days a week to get it done.People who live close by will be pissed off at the night lighting and sounds of the machinery to be used to make it safe.
interesting. I wonder when the full plan will be made public, it has to come in at more than what SU initially said they were investing. The guy I talked to said that the state was still involved in giving some money and now that the legislative session is over until the fall maybe some more info will come forth

yup...and buildings are tight to one another.

cranes will have to be placed inside the stadium.
How will they place the cranes inside the stadium?

Does anyone with experience in this arena, have any ball park guesses on what the added expense will be to do these upgrades without shutting the dome down for a season? Has that been talked about? Seems like the prudent thing to do would be get the most distance with our money and simply push one football season to Buffalo? I don't know. Hate to have $250 million to spend to retrofit an arena that needs it, and only have $150 mil or whatever actually go to those advancements, and the rest deal with using expensive and uncommon building methods to offset loss of the dome. Obviously, not ideal in anyway, and I totally get that the loss of revenue at the dome being a HUGE factor. Just scared about how this is actually going down, given the lack of communications and the other things I know about how SU works. They tend to have their What moments.

so if the plan is to not miss any home games how is this possible?
They used to have goalposts on the playing field. Ncaa can cite past precedent to allow cranes as long as they are not operational during games. The playbook would have to adapt, though.

Same as they do when they build these cranes on any job site.
They come in pieces and build them up.
They can drive whole 18 whewheelers in the dome now.
Just look at the photos of the South Florida project they too have a crane in the center of the stadium.

What
Does anyone with experience in this arena, have any ball park guesses on what the added expense will be to do these upgrades without shutting the dome down for a season? Has that been talked about? Seems like the prudent thing to do would be get the most distance with our money and simply push one football season to Buffalo? I don't know. Hate to have $250 million to spend to retrofit an arena that needs it, and only have $150 mil or whatever actually go to those advancements, and the rest deal with using expensive and uncommon building methods to offset loss of the dome. Obviously, not ideal in anyway, and I totally get that the loss of revenue at the dome being a HUGE factor. Just scared about how this is actually going down, given the lack of communications and the other things I know about how SU works. They tend to have their What moments.
Scares me the most is that SU couldn't spell a name right on a ceremony recently and we expect them to get this straight right from the beginning

Same as they do when they build these cranes on any job site.
They come in pieces and build them up.
They can drive whole 18 whewheelers in the dome now.
Just look at the photos of the South Florida project they too have a crane in the center of the stadium.
Thanks. I wasn't asking about how they got cranes in the S. Forida stadium. I was asking about the Carrier Dome. If you say they can get inside, that's fine with me.

Thanks. I wasn't asking about how they got cranes in the S. Forida stadium. I was asking about the Carrier Dome. If you say they can get inside, that's fine with me.

Rip a hole in the roof?

Rip a hole in the roof?
Well, the reason for my questions was the claim that there is not enough room for giant cranes on the outside of the dome so the cranes would need to be on the inside. So how would ripping a hole in the roof work?

I still don't believe this is possible...but hopefully I am wrong!

I just want to see something from the University with the plans...Let's go!!!
They have to make sure everyone in the campus community has been "consulted" 3-4 times.

upload_2016-6-20_15-16-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-20_15-14-13.png
    upload_2016-6-20_15-14-13.png
    324.6 KB · Views: 68
Well, the reason for my questions was the claim that there is not enough room for giant cranes on the outside of the dome so the cranes would need to be on the inside. So how would ripping a hole in the roof work?
I was joking...I'm wondering myself...because obviously if they want to still use the dome while putting the new roof on, it seems impossible to do. My completely uneducated guess would be that they have to take the old roof off since the cranes will need to be above the current roof support structure.

From the one rendering above, it appears as though the concourses have been expanded around the base of the dome and have glass to let the natural light in. It's a great look. However, I'm not sure how it would wrap around the entire dome given that it's built in to a hill.

IMPLEMENTATION AND PROJECTS

The Campus Framework is a long-term plan meant to guide future campus development for the next 20 years. To stay relevant in the constantly changing world, the plan is designed to be flexible. In the near-term, the Campus Framework identities strategic investment opportunities in key catalytic projects. Many of these projects reinforce the draft Academic Strategic Plan that was developed concurrently with the Campus Framework, and all of the near-term projects reinforce the goals of the campus and design principles at the outset of this project. In the long-term, and as new needs are identi ed, the Campus Framework provides additional suggestions for possible future projects and development sites. These phasing plans are preliminary and evolving, and may change in order to accommodate future priorities. Prior to implementation, speci c design guidelines will be created to maintain view priorities, establish height restrictions, and de ne perimeters for speci c campus districts and neighborhoods.

1. SUPPORT ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE

• National Veterans Resource Complex (NVRC) and large auditorium

• Renovate necessary spaces to enable NVRC and create general swing space

• Science, engineering, and research building

• Psychology building

• Link Hall and HB Crouse renovations

• Repurpose Women’s Building

• Shaw Quadrangle building renovations

• Huntington Hall renovation

• Future University Avenue buildings

2. ENRICH STUDENT LIFE

• Dome improvements and roof replacement

• The Arch student life and recreation center

• Renovate Sheraton Hotel for student housing

• Student services hub

• Renovate Bird Library

• Haven Hall and Booth Hall additions

• Housing replacements

• Schine Student Center

• West Campus recreation elds and parking

• West Campus housing

• Build Ostrom Avenue Housing

• Build consolidated athletics and recreation complex

on South Campus

3. CREATE A VIBRANT CAMPUS SETTING

• University Place Promenade

• Waverly Avenue Streetscape Improvements (between Irving Avenue and Comstock Avenue)

• Academic Promenade

• New boutique hotel

• Energy Plant Complex

• Create trail network on South Campus

• Develop South Campus

CAMPUS LANDSCAPE PROJECTS

Three proposed promenades provide the organizational structure for the campus. They provide structure for future campus growth and development, ensuring that new buildings and renovations contribute to a campus realm characterized by design excellence. The promenades also contribute to the quality of the civic realm by enhancing the campus landscape and creating space for connection, collaboration, and socializing.

Graphic of Waverly Avenue Promenade

WAVERLY AVENUE PROMENADE

Today’s underutilized streetscape will be transformed into a vibrant urban promenade through gracious landscape design and redevelopment. At the bridge between the city and campus, mixed use buildings with transparent façades enable activities to seamlessly move between indoors and outdoors.

Graphics of University Place Promenade and Academic Promenade

UNIVERSITY PLACE PROMENADE

The vitality of the future New Row — comprised of Schine Student Center and Bird Library — will be captured in the public realm of University Place through a redesign that prioritizes the pedestrian experience. South-facing buildings with active façades and landscape improvements will create a more welcoming, beautiful, and vibrant campus front door.

ACADEMIC PROMENADE

Linking the West Campus neighborhood to the academic core, the Academic Promenade will be a critical connection that is both a key pedestrian corridor and a central outdoor gathering place. The path will navigate the campus’s topographical change with landscape and building connections that provide universal access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom