Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The viaduct ruined that portion of the city.

Get rid of it and develop the property - do something to change the trajectory of Syracuse NY!
I think access would be improved to downtown, but I remain skeptical on new development potential because the amount of viable real estate is being severely overblown to the public in fancy renderings. The 6-lane boulevard is just as wide as the existing footprint - if not moreso considering 81 in that section was 4-lanes. Additionally, development is usually spurred by job creation. Right now it's a zero sum with companies relocating within the county, and the apartment boom is almost near saturation point downtown.

latest
You done went to plaid Lonestar

I agree with Franco on this point. Unless there's a eminent domain land grab well beyond the 6 lane footprint where is the land to develop? Disrupting and forcing the few loyal current business owners to move and relocate may very well be a zero sum game. The reason that Doctor's offices, other medical affiliated companies, insurance companies etc moved from the city to the suburbs has nothing to do with Route 81.

Having worked in Oswego for a few decades (but still living in the Syracuse area) and constantly being asked for directions to doctors offices, hospitals, shopping etc from Northern New Yorkers, I can assure you that it hasn't been access nor traffic causing them to turn almost exclusively to the Rochester and Syracuse suburbs. It's crime, fear, panhandlers at every corner and the cost of parking making them go to any alternative no matter how many times I tried to reassure them. It has also affected former season ticket holders to drop them and I have heard only negativity and additional pledges to stay away if forced to travel on street level. People use highways to get to one place to another, not to sightsee. Unless the root cause for their fear and negative perceptions are addressed, sadly I don't see how route 81 or any highway can be used as an answer to the city's complicated woes.

I think access would be improved to downtown, but I remain skeptical on new development potential because the amount of viable real estate is being severely overblown to the public in fancy renderings. The 6-lane boulevard is just as wide as the existing footprint - if not moreso considering 81 in that section was 4-lanes. Additionally, development is usually spurred by job creation. Right now it's a zero sum with companies relocating within the county, and the apartment boom is almost near saturation point downtown.

No, it isn't.

I agree with Franco on this point. Unless there's a eminent domain land grab well beyond the 6 lane footprint where is the land to develop? Disrupting and forcing the few loyal current business owners to move and relocate may very well be a zero sum game. The reason that Doctor's offices, other medical affiliated companies, insurance companies etc moved from the city to the suburbs has nothing to do with Route 81.

People use highways to get to one place to another, not to sightsee. Unless the root cause for their fear and negative perceptions are addressed, sadly I don't see how route 81 or any highway can be used as an answer to the city's complicated woes.
The boulevard and corresponding improvements will make it easier to get to places in the city.

All options will result in removed buildings with the boulevard option being the least disruptive on that front.

I'm no city planner, but from everything I have read, the decision by many communities in the early 1960s - including Philadelphia - to install major highway viaducts through downtown real estate districts was a miscalculation - that inhibited commercial and residential development.

In Philly they are always thinking of ways to fix the decision to put Route 95 down the middle of Society Hill and in the middle of the western bank of the Delaware River. I am pretty sure that Boston has tried to fix what it did with the submerging of much of its city highway system.

It seems to me that you can build stores, apartments, hotels and the like on a boulevard - see Erie Boulevard. I do not believe for a second that the apartment boom as you have described it is at the saturation point. Folks want to live in the city - if the city is clean, safe and has good schools. If you build it, they will come.

What we have now clearly does not work and is certainly not attractive.

I would be willing to at least take the chance that a commercial boulevard would be more attractive and would spur growth. That is, if the tunnel cannot be built.

Last edited:
Many more apartment and mixed merc buildings are being discussed, planned and developed.

The Inner Harbor area alone has multiple projects already underway.

It seems to me that you can build stores, apartments, hotels and the like on a boulevard - see Erie Boulevard. I do not believe for a second that the apartment boom as y have described it is at the saturation point. Folks want to live in the city - if the city is clean, safe and has good schools. If you build it, they will come.
That is a HUGE if! Some areas are clean, some areas are safe...the good schools on the other hand...seem to be going the wrong direction.

That is a HUGE if! Some areas are clean, some areas are safe...the good schools on the other hand...seem to be going the wrong direction.

Don't get me wrong.

I understand quite well that the school issue is huge and very difficult.

But, the tendency these days, at least for the young and the old, without kids, is movement back to the cities.

The food, the culture and the ability to walk rather than drive is appealing.

It's happening in Center City Philadelphia.

And, with more development it will continue to happen in Downtown Syracuse. It will come with projects like the new Hotel Syracuse and the Dinosaur's new pizza restaurant etc.

The elimination of the Route 81 viaduct will hopefully enhance Downtown Syracuse.

got a little bit of inside info today on how they plan to build the new roof over the old and not lose any games. It's going to take 6 cranes and the plan is to build railroad tracks up the sides of the existing structure t0 haul the roof material up in place. My disclaimer is that I don't work in construction and have no idea on how it can be done. Just passing along some info that was given to me today so take it for what it's worth.

got a little bit of inside info today on how they plan to build the new roof over the old and not lose any games. It's going to take 6 cranes and the plan is to build railroad tracks up the sides of the existing structure t0 haul the roof material up in place. My disclaimer is that I don't work in construction and have no idea on how it can be done. Just passing along some info that was given to me today so take it for what it's worth.
That is fascinating.

If this is how the renovation proceeds, the construction project itself will get national attention.

promontory_big.jpg

You sure it wasn't six axle mobile cranes?
not sure, I remember him saying one crane was going to be the largest in the country and the other 5 were going to be staged around it on Irving Ave.

Now my disclaimer is I know nothing but although those cranes are neat I don't think they have the lift capacity to hoist the large steel trusses that this reno is going to require. At the end of that video it says the maximum lift is 2000 lbs.

Raising the roof on the Vikings stadium

Look again, that was a for an ad at Northern Tools for a mobile joist, lol. That mobile crane has a 64 ton limit.

I assume it would be similar to the roof construction at Arthur Ashe Stadium in Queens then - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/s...ucture-for-arthur-ashe-roof-is-completed.html

Train leaves the Armory every hour on the hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors