Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 84 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not even here about the box seat prices when they were in the planning stage. Is this a new concept for this year. Do they sell the seats that the owners that decide they did not want to attend.
Plus I was looking at the donations for the box seats as the POTENTIAL PROBLEM on the donations to the university,not so much as the overall seat sales to the general public. The timing of the events here just might take away some from the other SU events.
I had to travel to Maryland for the day on Miami gameday ,but the announcers said on the radio the weather was a factor for the low attendance.
the amphitheater sold box seats last year as a season package as they are doing this year. A friend works for a company that purchased 4 box seats and tickets to one of the shows were available. There is a bar and restroom in the building behind the stage for those that pony up the extra money. Just like paying for Club 44 passes.

Regarding the Miami game, the weather was bad north of Pulaski, most of Onondaga county was free and clear of any snow but it was cold and windy. The attendance was down because of St. John's and BC. And UConn and Georgetown. The fairweathers should start coming back now that the team is back to winning.

Not to derail the thread here, but can someone explain to me how this program can be anything but disastrous for schools like SU or moreso, Le Moyne, who count on over 80% of their students coming from in-state, many in middle class and lower families?

I believe the benefit is only for state schools, not private. If you're worried about decreased attendance / applications to the private schools, yes, some will suffer, but others who brand themselves well will be the survivors.

"Free" often has strings attached, especially when politicians are involveded. If the attached strings are too burdensome to the plans the University is pursuing then rejecting Albany's "free" money is the right course.

Well, we would like to see the damn thing renovated. Let's get it going!

Justin Mattingly ‏@jmattingly306 21h21 hours ago

Here's a photo (PC: @JacobGreenfeld)pic.twitter.com/ZgkahxY3cD

C1wptKaWIAE6Hfw.jpg

I believe the benefit is only for state schools, not private. If you're worried about decreased attendance / applications to the private schools, yes, some will suffer, but others who brand themselves well will be the survivors.
Isn't there still the same finite number of openings at state schools no matter if they are paying something or going for 'free'? Yes the student composition and competition to get those spots will change but if they aren't increasing enrollment many kids will still have to find other educational opportunities.

I would think SU would be in better shape than many private colleges, especially the smaller ones because of its' geographic diversity. According to this only 38% of undergrads are from NYS.

Syracuse University Diversity

I would think SU would be in better shape than many private colleges, especially the smaller ones because of its' geographic diversity. According to this only 38% of undergrads are from NYS.

Syracuse University Diversity

Yeah, that's why I mentioned SU but moreso focused on Le Moyne. Schools like Le Moyne, St. John Fisher, Canisius, St. Bonaventure, which all have 80% or more of their students coming from NYS, including a large chunk of those coming from households making less than $125,000/year, could potentially be hurt by this.

hopefully awaiting the gov's speech in syracuse. now that the backward 1960's thinking miner is a lame duck perhaps the city can make some strides, other than apartments. although i have a legit question re the renovation of buildings for apartments. are they for PURCHASE or just rentals.

hopefully awaiting the gov's speech in syracuse. now that the backward 1960's thinking miner is a lame duck perhaps the city can make some strides, other than apartments. although i have a legit question re the renovation of buildings for apartments. are they for PURCHASE or just rentals.
Good question. Everything I have seen has been rentals. I believe that for the city to take the next step, homeownership needs to increase. People need to be financially invested.

You can buy apartments down town. My girlfriend and I looked into it when we bought our house. The problem was you have to pay a "homeowners" association and it's not worth the cost IMO.

Good question. Everything I have seen has been rentals. I believe that for the city to take the next step, homeownership needs to increase. People need to be financially invested.
exactly my thinking. then they are emotionally connected to civic pride and improvement

You can buy apartments down town. My girlfriend and I looked into it when we bought our house. The problem was you have to pay a "homeowners" association and it's not worth the cost IMO.
the hoa's are a legitimate concern as they can be expensive as well the possibility,like taxes, out of your immediate control.

What's the point of an HOA for an apartment building? Is it to cover general building maintenance?

What's the point of an HOA for an apartment building? Is it to cover general building maintenance?

I have lived in an HOA neighborhood and the annual dues were used for insurance, maintenance and utilities of the common area property. Also a part of the dues would go into a reserve fund in case of any major repairs/renovations/expenditures.

For a coop or condo building, reserves for replacement of roof and HVAC are a pretty important expense covered by HOA fees. Ditto for on-site parking, if there is any.

Living in DC, HOA's are the norm. As CL and Otto mentioned above they are for the general welfare and reserves of the building, landscaping, upkeep, etc. My building also puts into reserves a % of funds yearly to offset any emergencies, and to plan for bigger projects.

Many have common areas like fitness rooms, small party rooms, elevators etc and then in additional some have the extra cost of security shared by all the people in the complex.

Is that not typical in Syracuse? Here in Texas, unless you live in the boonies, you're going to get stuck with it.

Is that not typical in Syracuse? Here in Texas, unless you live in the boonies, you're going to get stuck with it.

Depends where you are, but not for my house in the city. These HOA dues doubled our mortgage. Might revisit it in the future, but I like where I am right now.

I think there just aren't many apartments that are owned by the occupant. There are some, for sure, but most are rentals. I would never rent an apartment that had an added HOA fee.

It sure would be nice to see some actual proposals for this.
HOA fees usually replace some village/municipal taxes to pay for required services like paving, sidewalks, common areas, etc.

State of the State address in Syracuse was held this morning. No mention of anything related to SU or the Dome renovation.

State of the State address in Syracuse was held this morning. No mention of anything related to SU or the Dome renovation.
Lead story appears to be that NYS will chip in $35.8 million to make Hancock a state of the art airport.

9d27991f-c455-4d13-ba5f-e1720707aad7-large16x9_airport.PNG

Cuomo: State will chip in $35.8 million to make Syracuse Airport a 'world class facility'

More...confirmed, nothing about support for a renovation of the Dome...

SAAB Jobs, Syracuse Aiport Renovations and Southern Tier Hemp Farms Highlight Cuomo's Speech

Such things narrow the gap caused by differences in state/property taxes between states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom