Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lead story appears to be that NYS will chip in $35.8 million to make Hancock a state of the art airport.

9d27991f-c455-4d13-ba5f-e1720707aad7-large16x9_airport.PNG

Cuomo: State will chip in $35.8 million to make Syracuse Airport a 'world class facility'

More...confirmed, nothing about support for a renovation of the Dome...

SAAB Jobs, Syracuse Aiport Renovations and Southern Tier Hemp Farms Highlight Cuomo's Speech
More...the upgrade is up to $45 million.

Syracuse airport to get $45 million upgrade, create 869 construction jobs

I wonder if they are going to get rid of those weird booths one has to go through to after landing in Syracuse? They have green and red lights and appear to serve no purpose except to slow people down for no reason.

I am far from a world traveler. Might have landed in 30 or 40 airports in my life. Hancock is the only one I have run into that has these booths. Bizarre.

More...the upgrade is up to $45 million.

Syracuse airport to get $45 million upgrade, create 869 construction jobs

I wonder if they are going to get rid of those weird booths one has to go through to after landing in Syracuse? They have green and red lights and appear to serve no purpose except to slow people down for no reason.

I am far from a world traveler. Might have landed in 30 or 40 airports in my life. Hancock is the only one I have run into that has these booths. Bizarre.

They are meant to be replacements for having TSA agents staff exits:

Syracuse airport renovation introduces new 'exit portals'

NBC News: Do Syracuse airport's new exit portals mark arrival of police state?

feel like just "4-5" years ago his was happening soon. no announcements lately pushed this out 2-3 more years now doesnt it?

I think introducing an unnecessary bottleneck is irritating, foolish, dangerous (what happens if there is a fire) and a huge waste of money. Someone should ask passengers what they think. I know what the answer is already.

Dumb idea.

There certainly are a lot of things viewed as cost-saving that are in reality, inefficient and in some cases, dangerous.

I think introducing an unnecessary bottleneck is irritating, foolish, dangerous (what happens if there is a fire) and a huge waste of money. Someone should ask passengers what they think. I know what the answer is already.

Dumb idea.

I wonder how they insure that only one person goes in at a time. Oh, yeah, they'll have to man the area.

We have no income tax, so our property taxes are quit high.
I have friends who live in NHampshire. There is no state income tax, no sales tax. But they surely do try to make it up with property taxes.

Syverud to provide updates to campus community in address

;
Syverud_2_ChaseGaewski.jpg

Chancellor Kent Syverud will speak at 4 p.m. in the Milton Atrium in the Life Sciences Complex.

By Michael BurkeNews Editor
11 hours ago

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud will give an address on Tuesday afternoon to the campus community inside the Milton Atrium in the Life Sciences Complex.

During his speech, Syverud will reflect on recent issues and accomplishments at the university in addition to providing updates on different university initiatives, according to an SU News release.

The speech will essentially serve as a State of the University address, something that used to formally exist at SU. Former Chancellor Kenneth “Buzz” Shaw gave the address annually during his time as chancellor to provide updates on university initiatives. The address stopped being held sometime during former Chancellor Nancy Cantor’s tenure.

Syverud took over as SU’s chancellor in January 2014. At the heart of his tenure thus far has been Fast Forward Syracuse, his three-pronged initiative aimed at advancing both the university’s academics and its physical appearance.

Syverud’s speech on Tuesday will begin at 4 p.m.

Dumb idea.
Speaking of dumb ideas and wasting tax payer money...how about the "rain water recovery system" designated as part of the new airport roof? Great idea for a city with less annual days of sunlight than Seattle.

Speaking of dumb ideas and wasting tax payer money...how about the "rain water recovery system" designated as part of the new airport roof? Great idea for a city with less annual days of sunlight than Seattle.
Apologize RMH if I am reading your meaning incorrectly, but I am confused why saving resources is a bad idea, especially in a city with annual snowfall and as you said many gloomy days? Wouldn't that be a positive enhancement?

Apologize RMH if I am reading your meaning incorrectly, but I am confused why saving resources is a bad idea, especially in a city with annual snowfall and as you said many gloomy days? Wouldn't that be a positive enhancement?
It's unnecessary in our area. We get tons (literally) of precipitation every month that naturally finds it's way back into the water cycle.

Many of my college projects were centered around this and other (i.e. deforestation, desertification etc) ecological issues so I get it. My point is simple, if this was proposed in Denver or Dallas or Phoenix I think it would be a great idea and money well spent. But when you live in an area that gets more than enough precip and within 40 miles of 20-25% of all the world's fresh water, I think the rain water recycling roof project is nothing more than PC run amuck. Just my opinion and probably should have been saved for the OT board ;-)

Any day now for Dome reno news...right? :(
I'm sure that many posters here have better sources/intel than I do...but I've heard that the Dome renovations plans might be pared back due to financial concerns. Completing the revisions might be the hold-up?

It's unnecessary in our area. We get tons (literally) of precipitation every month that naturally finds it's way back into the water cycle.

Many of my college projects were centered around this and other (i.e. deforestation, desertification etc) ecological issues so I get it. My point is simple, if this was proposed in Denver or Dallas or Phoenix I think it would be a great idea and money well spent. But when you live in an area that gets more than enough precip and within 40 miles of 20-25% of all the world's fresh water, I think the rain water recycling roof project is nothing more than PC run amuck. Just my opinion and probably should have been saved for the OT board ;-)
No I respect your opinion absolutely. In my very limited knowledge, I read resources saved and I think it's a win, but perhaps, it's not all it's made to be, which is certainly possible. Definitely something that can be spun as positive PR. I also understand having these systems in place in dryer climates has more impact.

By my understanding (which could be flawed), these rainwater harvest systems are not very expensive to install and maintain, and, over time, they can help reduce water bills while also creating a sustainable environment. I'm not seeing what the downside is here, regardless of whether or not the CNY area gets enough rain.

By my understanding (which could be flawed), these rainwater harvest systems are not very expensive to install and maintain, and, over time, they can help reduce water bills while also creating a sustainable environment. I'm not seeing what the downside is here, regardless of whether or not the CNY area gets enough rain.
Hey, if the roof needed to be renovated anyway and research suggests adding this system is cost effective...then go for it. My only issue is the motivation behind the decision.

Like in a lot of old Northeastern cities, the runoff concerns up here are less about conservation and more about reducing the burden on the antiquated combined sewer system - a lot of storm sewage is mixed with sanitary sewage and heavy rain events result in overflows into Onondaga Creek and Onondaga Lake (after infrastructure improvements, this is less common than it once was).

However, I'm not sure that it's a problem at the airport. For one thing, I don't think it's in the Onondaga Lake watershed. And I assume that it's a new enough property that the sewer lines are separated. Also, maybe it's the cynic in me, but the Cuomo announcement smacks of "greenwashing," so your PC thought is more or less shared by me.

On the whole, though, rainwater conservation's important in Syracuse.

Syverud to provide updates to campus community in address

;
Syverud_2_ChaseGaewski.jpg

Chancellor Kent Syverud will speak at 4 p.m. in the Milton Atrium in the Life Sciences Complex.

By Michael BurkeNews Editor
11 hours ago

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud will give an address on Tuesday afternoon to the campus community inside the Milton Atrium in the Life Sciences Complex.

During his speech, Syverud will reflect on recent issues and accomplishments at the university in addition to providing updates on different university initiatives, according to an SU News release.

The speech will essentially serve as a State of the University address, something that used to formally exist at SU. Former Chancellor Kenneth “Buzz” Shaw gave the address annually during his time as chancellor to provide updates on university initiatives. The address stopped being held sometime during former Chancellor Nancy Cantor’s tenure.

Syverud took over as SU’s chancellor in January 2014. At the heart of his tenure thus far has been Fast Forward Syracuse, his three-pronged initiative aimed at advancing both the university’s academics and its physical appearance.

Syverud’s speech on Tuesday will begin at 4 p.m.
The address stopped being held sometime during former Chancellor Nancy Cantor’s tenure. Gee, maybe it's because the university went downhill academically during Queen Nancy's tenure. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom