Georgia Tech signs with Adidas | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Georgia Tech signs with Adidas

The simple fact that Nike hasn't unleashed a retro uniform for Syracuse football is beyond illogical?!?!?!? Our peer schools have all unleashed retro uniforms for specific games (BC with the Flutie anniversary, ND has one per annum, etc).

I really hope the university is planning a 1987 retro this year and Dino gets nostalgic as well and kicks the Dick Mac suit on the sideline.

I know this his been asked a 100 times, but when is our deal for Nike up? Just curious when the SUAD would start negotiating with Nike and others. Seems like you would want to get this ironed out about a year before any change was to occur.

I know this his been asked a 100 times, but when is our deal for Nike up? Just curious when the SUAD would start negotiating with Nike and others. Seems like you would want to get this ironed out about a year before any change was to occur.
SU AD John Wildhack was quoted as saying the following in June of 2017:

"We've got a couple years left on our Nike deal. My philosophy is you always give your incumbent the first opportunity if they've been a good partner to you and Nike has."

JB got SU affiliated with Nike, is proud of that, loves Nike and changing while he is still the basketball HC, leaving Nike would surely be a problem.

Sure as soon as they show they care at all about staying the brand Cuse uses. They haven't made a school color shoe in over a year( I look everyday) . they are behind in innovation to addidas and Under Armour. And I still can't buy the orange jersey after what 4 years? Maybe switching companies is what is needed for Nike to show they want to be here
Because Syracuse fans do not buy enough football gear for them to produce the jerseys. Plain and simple. You want them to make more cool stuff, buy more gear.

SU AD John Wildhack was quoted as saying the following in June of 2017:

"We've got a couple years left on our Nike deal. My philosophy is you always give your incumbent the first opportunity if they've been a good partner to you and Nike has."

JB got SU affiliated with Nike, is proud of that, loves Nike and changing while he is still the basketball HC, leaving Nike would surely be a problem.
To clarify, I don't think we'll leave Nike during the next round of negotiations, but I think with all of the deals being made around in the college landscape, we'll be in a much better bargaining position for $$$ and for more freedom over uniform decisions (whether written or oral).

IMG_1155.PNG
Because Syracuse fans do not buy enough football gear for them to produce the jerseys. Plain and simple. You want them to make more cool stuff, buy more gear.
Doesn't sound like it's too bad of a contract for them ... they can afford to make some gear if they want to keep the contract

Maybe we'd buy more stuff, if they produced cooler gear...
Maybe we would if they did, but there's no way to prove that besides buying what they currently make.

That's why SU basketball gets all the retro unis and Elite gear and custom shoes.

Maybe we'd buy more stuff, if they produced cooler gear...

If you search for Syracuse on Nike's website, there's like one shirt that's main color is orange. Everything else is Navy or Grey. If you look at the Dome on gameday, fans have gotten pretty good about wearing orange.

The Syracuse dunks(Pearl Washington era shoes originally) they put out a few years ago were nice. I wish those were permanently available. I'd buy a pair at the right price.

If you search for Syracuse on Nike's website, there's like one shirt that's main color is orange. Everything else is Navy or Grey. If you look at the Dome on gameday, fans have gotten pretty good about wearing orange.

The Syracuse dunks(Pearl Washington era shoes originally) they put out a few years ago were nice. I wish those were permanently available. I'd buy a pair at the right price.

Syracuse dunks, you say? Please read this link:
PLEASE READ: Trying to raise $$ for Jim and Juli Foundation

Hey Mad, wondering what your take is on the next Syracuse apparel contract. Who would you go with and why? Or would you just go with the company that makes the highest bid?

I am far too biased to answer that objectively, but the contract is pretty much in negotiation mode and the Swoosh knows it.

First, people who proclaim "Syracuse is a Nike school and always should be" are...cute! And people that don't get business. Or would still have AstroTurf in the Carrier Dome to protect the non-revenue track team.

The deal is up in 2018. The AD has had an initial meeting down in Baltimore. What he needs is the football team to do well, the basketball team to return to being...the basketball team, and lacrosse to get a Final Four again.

The big difference this time is the all-school deal. Schools are obligated to buy from the shoe/apparel provider, who in turn guarantee a certain amount o annual revenue based on projected merchandise sales.

UA has a certain leg up based on a non-public board situation, but the incumbent isn't stupid and has ZERO desire to lose a key asset to the people in Baltimore. Gross is gone - he would not listen to non-Swoosh bids in 2011, exercising the power of a private institution. 2018...not the same story, and our AD has some savviness to extend the opportunity to be bigger/thicker than the biggest contract. And given the recently announced UCLOWN deal, Syracuse should receive a notable upgrade in its next deal. It would be great if the major sports teams stop up in 2017-18 to say the least given the economic opportunity it could produce the following seven-to-10 years.

Wildhack (on the phone)...Hello mister Nike. I want to ask you a question.

Mr. Nike...Sure go ahead.

What ACC member is the only ACC member to win a national championship in both football and basketball? (Maryland doesn't count)

-----------------------

Never mind merchandise sales, we want re$pect...damnit.

Aside...we've had some really classy uniforms in the past...easily identified with the Orange/school. There's a certain tradition worth holding onto. The recent years football uniforms incorporate none of it. Not impressed with what Nike has done with the football uniforms.

Last edited:
I am far too biased to answer that objectively, but the contract is pretty much in negotiation mode and the Swoosh knows it.

First, people who proclaim "Syracuse is a Nike school and always should be" are...cute! And people that don't get business. Or would still have AstroTurf in the Carrier Dome to protect the non-revenue track team.

The deal is up in 2018. The AD has had an initial meeting down in Baltimore. What he needs is the football team to do well, the basketball team to return to being...the basketball team, and lacrosse to get a Final Four again.

The big difference this time is the all-school deal. Schools are obligated to buy from the shoe/apparel provider, who in turn guarantee a certain amount o annual revenue based on projected merchandise sales.

UA has a certain leg up based on a non-public board situation, but the incumbent isn't stupid and has ZERO desire to lose a key asset to the people in Baltimore. Gross is gone - he would not listen to non-Swoosh bids in 2011, exercising the power of a private institution. 2018...not the same story, and our AD has some savviness to extend the opportunity to be bigger/thicker than the biggest contract. And given the recently announced UCLOWN deal, Syracuse should receive a notable upgrade in its next deal. It would be great if the major sports teams stop up in 2017-18 to say the least given the economic opportunity it could produce the following seven-to-10 years.
Hey Mad, don't these deals usually get signed a year plus in advance? If we're up in 2018, and we're considering moving, wouldn't this be the time for negotiation? I would imagine in a world where we left, it would take a year plus for that new vendor to begin designing and producing uniforms for all our sports. Unless there is a grace period built into our Nike Deal that allows time at the end?

Are we to the point where if we used these:

9159172-large.jpg

The kids would think it was cool because they'd never seen us in those unis before?

Short answer - yes.

I'm not saying we should take less money to stick with Nike, obviously that would be very stupid. I'm saying that I'd hope that Nike would match any offer that UA or Adidas would make us.

Oh what do you know? #fakenews

I'm a little surprised New Balance hasn't started to test the college market. New England company. They are branching out in soccer and lacrosse (through Warrior i believe).

Hey Mad, don't these deals usually get signed a year plus in advance? If we're up in 2018, and we're considering moving, wouldn't this be the time for negotiation? I would imagine in a world where we left, it would take a year plus for that new vendor to begin designing and producing uniforms for all our sports. Unless there is a grace period built into our Nike Deal that allows time at the end?

Every deal is different, but usually there is a 12-to-15 month cycle through period because of the elements involved. (A new uniform redesign can be part of the pitch process with alterations made after the deal is done and socialized through the School's approval process.)

Note Dame's deal with Adidas only allowed a one-month window (December 2013) to negotiate a deal beginning with the 2014 football season. Private schools can be more agile in many ways.

That's a very outdated list, or one that didn't show new contract signings from 2016 or even slightly earlier.
I believe it was dated may of 16 but was the only one I could find

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom