Great exposure for the program... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Great exposure for the program...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I do get that. I guess the thing I'm hung up on is the opponent. If this had come against, say, BC instead of FSU, well, then I'd understand why it might break people. But hey - to each his own.

I'm not going to try to change anyone's mind, it's a fruitless endeavor. All anyone here wants is for SU to be successful.

Amen!

And I get that it's a pattern people don't like. I guess my question is - there were questionable things in multiple games before this week. So why did FSU push people over the edge? A game where basically everyone expected us to get blown out?

I honestly get the frustration, and I understand why people are pissed about the mistakes, and I understand that people want a change. But it just feels like a weird opponent to choose as the one that finally pushes you over the edge.

His opponent is the clock and his play calls, that's the problem.

Short of somehow picking up at least two more wins, Sean calling it as he sees it will prove to be the tipping point.

How well does Doyle know Chris Peterson? You don't hear his name as much since he left Boise for Washington.

But we are losing to teams that we think our recruiting classes are at least comparable too. So if we really believe our classes are better than they are ranked, than the coaching staff isn't getting it done. We can say the team is young but NCstate is at least as young as us or younger. I think they start more freshman than us.
dont use nc state as an example until you see who they have won against as we would have at least same record playing there schedule.

Sean was right most weeks.

Sean by the way, while speaking so nicely about coach mac, used to complain that we got out coached every week. I was in his company when he said this.

But there were questionable decisions last week, too. I guess I just don't get why losing to FSU is the deal breaker for some people.

It's disheartening to have a coach show the exact same decision-making and time management issues week after week. He needs to learn from his mistakes and he keeps showing that he's incapable of doing so.

Last edited:
way the defense played today probably not but we could score 40+ on them

We scored 47 against Rhode Island and that's it, how are we going to score 40+ against a p5 team?

supp said:
Then you haven't been paying close enough attention. People aren't upset w/ the loss. They're upset that whatever chance we had at even keeping it close were blown by in-game coaching decisions and longer term coaching failures. The problem isn't losing to FSU. It's losing the same way every week, including to teams not named FSU.

The way they were running and throwing? His bad decisions cost us 7-10 pts. This was a game we lost on the recruiting trail two years ago, not from bad coaching.

007 said:
If we could get Frost, YOU would be ok with letting SS go at the end of this year? Can a plague of locust be far behind? FWIW, I think that Frost will be at the top of a lot of lists.

I've been pretty consistent on this. I think he should get another year but I can feel it slipping away. He does a lot of things I like and is a solid defensive coach. But it is getting harder to defend him.

I've been on record since the spring: I feel good no matter what. If Shafer gets it going, great. If not Coyle seems competent, the IPF, p5 job, ACC $ - give us a chance at hiring a good young offensively minded coach.

Frost would be awesome.

The way they were running and throwing? His bad decisions cost us 7-10 pts. This was a game we lost on the recruiting trail two years ago, not from bad coaching.
This post was predicted in the game thread. There are only a couple games per year where his decisions matter. They don't cost us against wake, MAC and fbs. They don't matter against fsu Clemson and whatever name ooc team we play.

The few games that count, there is always an injury you can blame instead

Millhouse said:
This post was predicted in the game thread. There are only a couple games per year where his decisions matter. They don't cost us against wake, MAC and fbs. They don't matter against fsu Clemson and whatever name ooc team we play. The few games that count, there is always an injury you can blame instead

BS. And unfair.

His bone headed decisions were in part to blame for UVa, and I said it at the time. They got conservative when they should have kept the pressure up on o and d. It mattered more in that game because we lost in 3OT.

This game we needed everything to go right, but those two decisions didn't lose us the game. We got killed by superior talent.

BS. And unfair.

His bone headed decisions were in part to blame for UVa, and I said it at the time. They got conservative when they should have kept the pressure up on o and d. It mattered more in that game because we lost in 3OT.

This game we needed everything to go right, but those two decisions didn't lose us the game. We got killed by superior talent.
You can fire a coach for being awful in games against much better teams. As long as we bother to show up, your coach can't do junk like that

I've been pretty consistent on this. I think he should get another year but I can feel it slipping away. He does a lot of things I like and is a solid defensive coach. But it is getting harder to defend him.

I've been on record since the spring: I feel good no matter what. If Shafer gets it going, great. If not Coyle seems competent, the IPF, p5 job, ACC $ - give us a chance at hiring a good young offensively minded coach.

Frost would be awesome.

100% on the offensive coach. One who will finally recognize the unique advantage the Dome gives the program. I think Coyle gets it. We need a high scoring offense. This is about as close to a no brainer as it gets. I would take Frost in a heartbeat. Even though his lack of HC experience is a big concern, this is exactly the type of young, charismatic, seemingly gifted offense mind I would love to see us roll the dice with.

We scored 47 against Rhode Island and that's it, how are we going to score 40+ against a p5 team?
we also took our foot of the gas in the game at halftime

we also took our foot of the gas in the game at halftime

So because we can score against Rhode Island (probably a worse team than some High School teams) means we can score against a P5 team?

Millhouse said:
You can fire a coach for being awful in games against much better teams. As long as we bother to show up, your coach can't do junk like that

Just that? No. If we are going to judge every coach by the FSU game then we won't have any coach for long.

As a part of a pattern with a bunch of other things - yeah.

So because we can score against Rhode Island (probably a worse team than some High School teams) means we can score against a P5 team?
we are averaging 30 points a game

Did you miss the part where I said that no one's upset with the loss? My post was in answer to someone wondering why we're freaking out over FSU. No one's freaking out over FSU. They're freaking out over the bad decisions and predictable break-downs that show up game after game. Of course they weren't the difference today but they show why we can't play them close while many of our peers can (even when they have their first string out there). On other days, those break-downs and decisions cost us games.

we are averaging 30 points a game

Driven up because of our play against cramp teams.

NC State doesn't even give up that many points, especially against poor teams, I still don't understand how you can look at this matchup and predict Syracuse to do what they haven't done except against total trash.

I'm up for a wager if you are.

He's entitled to his opinion and I'm sure he has pretty good sources on what's going on with the program.

Maybe he's just a hater with an agenda.

Um no, he isn't, he said as much during the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom