Great potential ... | Syracusefan.com

Great potential ...

SU94

Starter
I was looking over TNIAAM and in one of the comments threads, someone mentioned Stade Pierre Mauroy, which is a brand new stadium located in Lille, France. So, I googled it and was blown away. This is the facility that we should be using as a model for what will one day replace the Dome.

Stade Pierre Mauroy holds 50,000+ for soccer games for Le LOSC (basically, Lille Soccer Club). So that is akin to what we can house in the Dome. Perfect.

Here is a pic of Stade Pierre Mauroy in all of its soccer glory ...

ob_b622df_ob-19dff02932dfdc5eea84848cdd53452d-img-1074-1-j.jpeg

Okay! So you see the retractable roof (closes in 15 minutes) and the overhang. Awesome. Comfortable. Can you imagine 60-degree temps for a 3:30pm game on October 16 against Clemson, Georgia Tech or UNC? Can you imagine a warm spring afternoon for lax against Virginia?

But what is great about Stade Pierre Mauroy is that it features 2 floors and is designed to convert to an arena-style venue and seat anywhere from 6,900 fans (SU women's hoops) to 30,000 (hello Duke, UNC, Georgetown, Louisville, etc.). I could also see hockey in here somehow. Evidently half of the stadium is built on hydraulics that can lift and place the seats on some internal tracking that "opens up" the lower floor used for sports such as tennis and basketball. Stade Pierre Mauroy recently hosted the Davis Cup Finals (drew 27,000+) and is slated to host the Euro Basketball Championships this year.

Take a peek ...

1354659-29087084-1600-900.jpg

This stadium was built in the last 2 years. Not including development around the area, the stadium's cost was $282M Euro. That equates to around $310M US. Not my money, but that seems a reasonable expenditure for a state of the art facility that would serve not only SU football and hoops equally, but CNY as a whole (intimate SU graduation, NCAA regionals, major concerts, etc.). Yes, I see this costing more in CNY due to the need for a higher/retractable roof (or we can agree to never punt) that needs to account for heavy snowfall, wind and ice. But still. It can be done.

I just see it as time to again INVEST in SU's revenue generating sports. Let's face it, in 1980 we built a (then) state of the art Dome and fell into unrivaled SU football and hoops prosperity almost by accident (Boeheim did not want to move, we know the story). And that dual prosperity lasted nearly 20 years (until '98 for football). This is the type of project that SU will likely have to invest in itself every 30-40 years. Well, its been 35, so I hope Severed and crew can investigate this and make some magic.

My biggest question withs yielding a new facillity is simply, where do we put it? I'd want it on campus somewhere, and short of tearing down the dome, and putting this in the same spot, where do you put it?

If you do that, where do you play the games for a year?

My biggest question withs yielding a new facillity is simply, where do we put it? I'd want it on campus somewhere, and short of tearing down the dome, and putting this in the same spot, where do you put it?

Or two.

...where do you play the games for a year?
Well, being that SU is "New York's College Team," tour the state while the new stadium is being built. Play games in Yankee Stadium, Ralph Wilson Stadium, West Point (if Army would consent) and if there are big enough stadiums in Rochester and Utica, play there as well; basically play anywhere in the state with a stadium big enough to host a P5 college football game.

Well, being that SU is "New York's College Team," tour the state while the new stadium is being built. Play games in Yankee Stadium, Ralph Wilson Stadium, West Point (if Army would consent) and if there are big enough stadiums in Rochester and Utica, play there as well; basically play anywhere in the state with a stadium big enough to host a P5 college football game.

Well it's not just football... And you'd probably see a decrease in season ticket sales (which help pay for the stadium) if you don't play most of the games for a year or two, anywhere near syracuse

Posted about that place years ago.

Similar facility in Sweden as well.

Anybody have a 1/2 a Billion they want to sink into a new stadium in Syracuse New York?

You would have to have every team other than the Chiefs, start up a MLL team, and book concerts all through the Summer and non-football weekends in the fall to generate the cashflows to support something like this, it couldn't just be an SU facility, they would get to be a major tenant.

By default it would be off campus.

Well it's not just football... And you'd probably see a decrease in season ticket sales (which help pay for the stadium) if you don't play most of the games for a year or two, anywhere near syracuse
You gotta break a few eggs if you wanna make an omelette. There would likely be no easy solution if in fact a new stadium were to be built on the same grounds where the Carrier Dome presently exists. You'd have to take a few steps back to take a major leap forward. While "barnstorming" across the state would probably not be very popular to the local Syracuse fanbase, who would then be forced to travel to these "home" games, it could potentially broaden the fanbase on a statewide level; particularly with younger fans who would have an opportunity to see a major college football game in person for the 1st time.

I'd imagine that basketball and lacrosse would likely be easier to temporarily relocate.

Last edited:
You gotta break a few eggs if you wanna make an omelette. There would likely be no easy solution if in fact a new stadium were to be built on the same grounds where the Carrier Dome presently exists. You'd have to take a few steps back to take a major leap forward. While "barnstorming" across the state would probably be not be very popular to the local Syracuse fanbase, who would then be forced to travel to these "home" games, it could potentially broaden the fanbase on a statewide level; particularly with younger fans who would have an opportunity to see a major college football game in person for the 1st time.

I'd imagine that basketball and lacrosse would likely be easier to temporarily relocate.

Built it at Skytop, and there's no need to relocate anyone, and you've solved the parking problem.

i wonder what the cost is without the crazy hide a field option. i really think they should be looking at how to do a better job with the seating on the roll out side and be less worried about 35k one a yr and trying to get 30K of decent seats 10 times a yr. add another 1-2K of some kind of seating above/besides the rollouts and figure out something in the empty corners.. those would sell as season tickets with the demand we have right now.

imagine if they rolled the whole endzone over instead of just the lower stands.. it would really help the feel and sound as well.

didnt we have a location available downtown? we play in dome until the stadium is finished. then, dome is demolished and we know the uni could use the space.

The Transformer stadium that swallows Syracuse. What we need is a "Holodeck" stadium. Could be anything you want it to be complete with a 120,000 fans. Would make Captain Pickard's day

I think they'd need to move it off campus to sell the University on the expenditures. They'd get the land for whatever other venture and athletics would get their new facility.

If the new stadium takes 2 years, then you'd have an amazing fairwell tour for the Dome and not have to worry about moving games outside the city.

build it at the fairgrounds -plenty of close parking made for tailgating -

a stadium like this would make su a destination program again -like the dome did all those years ago

build it at the fairgrounds -plenty of close parking made for tailgating -

a stadium like this would make su a destination program again -like the dome did all those years ago
Students won't go.

Who cares If they decide to build this awesome facility. They could play at CBA'S stadium for all I care. This stadium would be awesome. I would donate to have it built. I don't have much but I will donate.

I think that is an absolutely awesome solution and one that would make me very excited as an alum who loves the Dome. There are certainly some issues that would come with it, such as the 24 hour conversion timeframe whereas the Dome can turn over in 8 hours if need be. It also looks like a very expensive endeavor to change it over due to equipment, engineers, crew, etc necessary. It looks like a really cool concert venue as well.

It would certainly put SU back at the forefront of football stadiums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom