Great potential ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Great potential ...

You gotta break a few eggs if you wanna make an omelette. There would likely be no easy solution if in fact a new stadium were to be built on the same grounds where the Carrier Dome presently exists. You'd have to take a few steps back to take a major leap forward. While "barnstorming" across the state would probably not be very popular to the local Syracuse fanbase, who would then be forced to travel to these "home" games, it could potentially broaden the fanbase on a statewide level; particularly with younger fans who would have an opportunity to see a major college football game in person for the 1st time.

I'd imagine that basketball and lacrosse would likely be easier to temporarily relocate.

Before my time, but isn't this effectively what the team did when the Dome was being built?

I was looking over TNIAAM and in one of the comments threads, someone mentioned Stade Pierre Mauroy, which is a brand new stadium located in Lille, France. So, I googled it and was blown away. This is the facility that we should be using as a model for what will one day replace the Dome.

Stade Pierre Mauroy holds 50,000+ for soccer games for Le LOSC (basically, Lille Soccer Club). So that is akin to what we can house in the Dome. Perfect.

Here is a pic of Stade Pierre Mauroy in all of its soccer glory ...

View attachment 39373

Okay! So you see the retractable roof (closes in 15 minutes) and the overhang. Awesome. Comfortable. Can you imagine 60-degree temps for a 3:30pm game on October 16 against Clemson, Georgia Tech or UNC? Can you imagine a warm spring afternoon for lax against Virginia?

But what is great about Stade Pierre Mauroy is that it features 2 floors and is designed to convert to an arena-style venue and seat anywhere from 6,900 fans (SU women's hoops) to 30,000 (hello Duke, UNC, Georgetown, Louisville, etc.). I could also see hockey in here somehow. Evidently half of the stadium is built on hydraulics that can lift and place the seats on some internal tracking that "opens up" the lower floor used for sports such as tennis and basketball. Stade Pierre Mauroy recently hosted the Davis Cup Finals (drew 27,000+) and is slated to host the Euro Basketball Championships this year.

Take a peek ...

View attachment 39374

This stadium was built in the last 2 years. Not including development around the area, the stadium's cost was $282M Euro. That equates to around $310M US. Not my money, but that seems a reasonable expenditure for a state of the art facility that would serve not only SU football and hoops equally, but CNY as a whole (intimate SU graduation, NCAA regionals, major concerts, etc.). Yes, I see this costing more in CNY due to the need for a higher/retractable roof (or we can agree to never punt) that needs to account for heavy snowfall, wind and ice. But still. It can be done.

I just see it as time to again INVEST in SU's revenue generating sports. Let's face it, in 1980 we built a (then) state of the art Dome and fell into unrivaled SU football and hoops prosperity almost by accident (Boeheim did not want to move, we know the story). And that dual prosperity lasted nearly 20 years (until '98 for football). This is the type of project that SU will likely have to invest in itself every 30-40 years. Well, its been 35, so I hope Severed and crew can investigate this and make some magic.

Before my time, but isn't this effectively what the team did when the Dome was being built?
Before my time (following the team) as well. Not sure?

That is incredible. Exactly what SU needs to accommodate big time b-ball games and football in the same venue. My only question is, how fast can they convert it? That looked like it took a while.

Yeah, Rich Stadium (now Ralph Wilson) in Buffalo, the Meadowlands in NJ, and Shoellkopf Stadium in Ithaca were the temporary venues. And SU went to a bowl game that year!

Yeah, Rich Stadium (now Ralph Wilson) in Buffalo, the Meadowlands in NJ, and Shoellkopf Stadium in Ithaca were the temporary venues. And SU went to a bowl game that year!
The old Poulan Weedeater Bowl.

The old Poulan Weedeater Bowl.
Is that what it is today? It was the Independence Bowl back in 1979 and they were "upgrading" to D1A schools at the time. So, it was a very minor bowl, but a good opportunity for us.

Is that what it is today? It was the Independence Bowl back in 1979 and they were "upgrading" to D1A schools at the time. So, it was a very minor bowl, but a good opportunity for us.
No, I think they've had 3 different sponsors since Poulan. I just like the sound of it.

Build it in all the empty and under-used space north or west of the NBT Bank Stadium. Have a common parking lot. Destiny's walking distance, (they were going to build something there, I recall). You have transportation center and route 81 and 11.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...2!3m1!1s0x89d9f23babb7c967:0xf2bd4f913a5ffc96

You're a mile and 1/2 off.

The spot to put it would be the lot bounded by Bear, N. Clinton and Solar. 8 huge lots across Bear St. would handle most events, additional parking at NBT. Fire up Ontrack again and you could bring people in from SU, the Armory, and East Syracuse.

There are open lots across the creek on either side of Van Rensellear.

It's a hub with multiple spokes into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom