hackett interviewing for jags OC job now | Syracusefan.com

hackett interviewing for jags OC job now

That's awkward/ Hackett will need to spend some time as an NFL position coach, IMO

Oh to be a fly on the wall.

th

That's awkward/ Hackett will need to spend some time as an NFL position coach, IMO
so many of these interviews are a joke - maybe they're just trying to find out more about marrone

will hackett torch marrone trying to get the job (he has to throw someone under the bus to explain the bills offense) or will he bite his tongue knowing he's not getting that job anyway in hopes that marrone will bring him on as a position coach

i would torch. he can go be a position coach anywhere (edited - i assume finwad didn't like for this last paragraph)

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't really get why this excited some so much. Marrone wanted out of Buffalo and he knew he could leave with $4M. He exercised that option. He probably thought he could get hired as a HC but knew there was a distinct possibility that he might not be hired. He accepted that risk. Given that as HC jobs get filled and not by him, he's also looking at other avenues including coordinator and even "consultant" work which, by the way, probably pays him nicely though no where near what a HC makes. It would be a temporary stop in his search for a new HC position which he may or may not ever get.

I don't get why that is so titillating.

In addition, they guy has been classy and kept quiet about the situation and has not thrown jabs at anyone ... which we can't say about others.

Honestly, I don't really get why this excited some so much. Marrone wanted out of Buffalo and he knew he could leave with $4M. He exercised that option. He probably thought he could get hired as a HC but knew there was a distinct possibility that he might not be hired. He accepted that risk. Given that as HC jobs get filled and not by him, he's also looking at other avenues including coordinator and even "consultant" work which, by the way, probably pays him nicely though no where near what a HC makes. It would be a temporary stop in his search for a new HC position which he may or may not ever get.

In addition, they guy has been classy and kept quiet about the situation and has not thrown jabs at anyone ... which we can't say about others.
Eh, I don't know about classy. Classy thanks the organization that gave him a HC chance and classy thanks the fans and players.

I don't hate Marrone, it is what it is, and i'm happy he quit because Rex Ryan and his staff makes Marrone's look like a Mickey Mouse operation outside of Schwartz.

Breaking News:

12.jpg

This would be absolutely astounding to me if it came to fruition.

Because of Marrone, Hackett's career trajectory has been steeper than El Cap.

Somewhere in America, Doug Marrone reads this news.

sm.jpg

Eh, I don't know about classy. Classy thanks the organization that gave him a HC chance and classy thanks the fans and players.

I don't hate Marrone, it is what it is, and i'm happy he quit because Rex Ryan and his staff makes Marrone's look like a Mickey Mouse operation outside of Schwartz.
That's Doug's MO. He does not like the media and so he keeps things to himself. I guess it may have been "classier" to come up with a phony statement about how thankful he is to the Bills when we all know it's probably not true. Imagine the threads here about that if it happened?

this is hysterical on so many levels.
I think it is funny that Rex says the Bills are going to be a "bully". Didn't he make similar comments about the Jets.

People lap up these statements the same way they lapped up Marrone stating that SU was his dream job.

I think the most telling part of all of this is not Marrone's silence but the general silence by Marrone's former players, coaches etc. With the exception of Anselmo I can't think of too many who have come to his defense. I think DM was always difficult to work with, but it became worse as his time went on at SU and apparently even worse at Buffalo. Like a snowball rolling downhill.

I think it is funny that Rex says the Bills are going to be a "bully". Didn't he make similar comments about the Jets.

People lap up these statements the same way they lapped up Marrone stating that SU was his dream job.
When I think of classy people, Doug marrone does not come to mind

I think the most telling part of all of this is not Marrone's silence but the general silence by Marrone's former players, coaches etc. With the exception of Anselmo I can't think of too many who have come to his defense. I think DM was always difficult to work with, but it became worse as his time went on at SU and apparently even worse at Buffalo. Like a snowball rolling downhill.
His jilted lovers on the Bills have been critical. His former players from other gigs have said positive things. Dog bites man stuff.

e.g. http://nypost.com/2015/01/03/curtis-martin-kevin-mawae-rave-about-jets-coaching-favorite/

This is exciting/titillating because Doug Marrone opted out of a contract that would have paid him $8 million over the next 2 years and instead gambled that he could take the $4 million for doing nothing and get a HC job elsewhere to effectively double dip. As of now, it appears he lost his gamble. I, and likely others here, am happy that he lost that gamble, because I would literally give my left nut for the $4 million he would have earned for coaching the Bills in 2016 that he threw away in opting out. How arrogant do you have to be to throw away $4 million in the expectation you can get more elsewhere? How arrogant do you have to be to do so after achieving a .500 record in the NFL where coaches have been fired in the past even after achieving much better records for their teams?

This is exciting/titillating because Doug Marrone opted out of a contract that would have paid him $8 million over the next 2 years and instead gambled that he could take the $4 million for doing nothing and get a HC job elsewhere to effectively double dip. As of now, it appears he lost his gamble. I, and likely others here, am happy that he lost that gamble, because I would literally give my left nut for the $4 million he would have earned for coaching the Bills in 2016 that he threw away in opting out. How arrogant do you have to be to throw away $4 million in the expectation you can get more elsewhere? How arrogant do you have to be to do so after achieving a .500 record in the NFL where coaches have been fired in the past even after achieving much better records for their teams?
Yeah...but let's face it, you'd give your left nut for the $4M he took with him too.

So let's forget coaching for now. You are in your job and you have the equivalent of a .500 record where as you say, people are fired for such a "performance". You realize you have a contract that says you can opt out and collect $4M during a 3-day period. You also know your company was recently purchased by a new owner and there is uncertainty there. Are you saying it is arrogant to take the $4M or just plain logical?

His jilted lovers on the Bills have been critical. His former players from other gigs have said positive things. Dog bites man stuff.

e.g. http://nypost.com/2015/01/03/curtis-martin-kevin-mawae-rave-about-jets-coaching-favorite/

good point, but he was a young position coach with the Jets, I think he was probably a lot easier to work with back then and when he had that role. FYI, I like Doug and am grateful for what he did to clean up the GROB mess, so not trying to bury the guy, just thought it was interesting that not a lot of guys who played for him at Buffalo or Cuse, or coached with him in those places have said anything to back him up.

Yeah...but let's face it, you'd give your left nut for the $4M he took with him too.

So let's forget coaching for now. You are in your job and you have the equivalent of a .500 record where as you say, people are fired for such a "performance". You realize you have a contract that says you can opt out and collect $4M during a 3-day period. You also know your company was recently purchased by a new owner and there is uncertainty there. Are you saying it is arrogant to take the $4M or just plain logical?

Its illogical to take $4 million to leave instead of $8 million guaranteed to stay unless you believe you will earn the $4 million you threw away to work for someone else. He had such a belief and was, thus, logical. However, it is absolutely arrogant and he appears to have been wrong. It was an $8 million guaranteed contract. Even though there is a new owner, they remain liable for the $8 million owed on the contract. He tore it up thinking he was going to earn more elsewhere. It appears he was wrong and that makes me smile. There are still HC openings and its quite possible he will get one. If he does, I will stop smiling.

No, I'd give my right nut for the first $4M and my left nut for the second $4M

I too appreciate what Doug did for Syracuse. My finding humor in the situation is solely based on the audacity of his apparent mis-step. If you substituted Rex Ryan's name for that of Doug Marrone, I would still find it humorous.

Its illogical to take $4 million to leave instead of $8 million guaranteed to stay unless you believe you will earn the $4 million you threw away to work for someone else. He had such a belief and was, thus, logical. However, it is absolutely arrogant and he appears to have been wrong. It was an $8 million guaranteed contract. Even though there is a new owner, they remain liable for the $8 million owed on the contract. He tore it up thinking he was going to earn more elsewhere. It appears he was wrong and that makes me smile. There are still HC openings and its quite possible he will get one. If he does, I will stop smiling.
He didn't give up $4M. If that figure is correct...he gave up $4M less any money he makes the next two seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom