hmmm... UConn deserve another look? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

hmmm... UConn deserve another look?

Sdhusky you are not a troll, and make decent arguments but are wrong. Also, I get you have to have hope or then the reality of being stuck in AAC would be beyond depressive. The B1G is not going to expand unless they can get 2 members. Once the ACC signed their GOR that cooled realignment. The Big XII, ACC, Pac-12, B1G all have GORs. SEC doesn't have a GOR, but all the conference members signed their tier 3 rights for the next 30 years to the SEC/ESPN to get ESPN on board for the SEC Network which is starting in August 2014.

UConn should have been picked above Rutgers, but they didn't. The B1G won't go after any school that has signed a GOR because the B1G doesn't want precedent for challenging GORs in case the ACC or whomever wanted to give Penn State godfather offers.

If the B1G wanted to add 2 members and one of them were UConn who is the 2nd school? It would have to come from the AAC or non-power 4 conference. Mizzou isn't leaving the SEC because of the fact their 3rd tier rights would stay with the SEC or it would super expensive to buy them back. The Kansas fantasy is ridiculous. If Kansas was available then Oklahoma/Texas would be available and they would be targeted well before UConn. Oklahoma would go to B1G in a cocaine heartbeat if the B1G was interested. The B1G would be interested in OU WAY BEFORE THEY WOULD UConn because OU has a top 10 FB brand and that is where money is made.

UConn isn't needed for NYC as the Yankees/YES/FOX will take care of that.

TexanMark said:
If UConn can at least keep the payouts the same then they would be okay to add. I'd hate to see them go to the B1G. Cuse and BC would be most hurt by that.

The B1G would also have a leg up on securing MSG for its tourney.

sdhusky said:
I'm actually not hurting right now. As a UCONN fan, I have to admit, I'm on a bit of a high right now. It's exciting. Thrilling. I can't wait for tonight. 4 titles in 16 years? Good lord, never in my wildest dreams... You may be 100% correct about CR. I don't know. I'm just telling you that UCONN is pursuing the B1G with gusto. Could very well be a total waste of energy. Burton has donated money to UCONN to help them pursue CR. They must think there is a chance.

Ask yourself this, will adding UConn to the B10 add approximately $38m ($26m current payout plus $1m more per team to make it worth it) to the B10 coffers?

sdhusky said:
How would UCONN to the B1G hurt SU? We are both national BB programs, not regional. I don't think it would impact SU at all.

Because UConn would be able to recruit at a higher level again and take kids in football and basketball that SU might get now. This is one of the reasons BC didn't want UConn in the ACC.

NashvilleOrange said:
UConn doesn't offer the Big Ten anything that they don't already have. 1. They have a part of the New York market 2. They have "top" programs in basketball - Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin, Maryland. 3. And UConn stinks at football, which is undoubtedly the most important piece in conference realignment. 4. UConn is NOT AAU

SU had an awful tough time trying to beat UConn when they were decent in football. You think it would take UConn long to return to that if they joined a better conference?

The B1G's TV contracts expire in 2016. The conference is going to negotiate in 2015. The B1G isn't going to expand unless it gets cable boxes(Rutgers, Maryland) or Football brands(Penn State, Nebraska).

UConn isn't giving the B1G anymore cable boxes. CT population is 3.8 million. B1G conference gets 1 dollar for BTN contractually in states where the B1G has a team. Assuming that EVERY SINGLE CT resident has cable TV that would be 3.8 million dollars a month or 45.6 dollars. We all know that 3.8 million people don't have cable in CT and people in CT who already have DirecTV already get the BTN if they have the basic package.

UConn doesn't bring the FB brand so it would need to bring market. Rutgers/and the alums of Penn State/Ohio State/Michigan are being used to get the NYC market.

sdhusky said:
Hopefully after tonight, I will have to console myself with our 4th National Championship. Its amazing effective they are at making all the insults and negativity go away.

Conference affiliation will eventually wear on the program. Give it time. Ask the Gonzagas and Butlers of the world. In fact, eventually the big conferences will break away from the mid majors completely.

Conference affiliation will eventually wear on the program. Give it time. Ask the Gonzagas and Butlers of the world. In fact, eventually the big conferences will break away from the mid majors completely.

Just give me a 4th NC.

That's all I ask. I can live on those memories for a long time.

How would UCONN to the B1G hurt SU? We are both national BB programs, not regional.

I don't think it would impact SU at all.

Simple...UConn would offer the B1G market penetration into Southern NY and New England. We have the BC/Cuse/Pitt/ND group vs PSU/Rutgers/MD group battling for that region. UConn would be a complimentary addition to either grouping.

Most of you UConn fans are Butthurt and lashing out at the ACC...but in reality the ACC would be your smartest move if you had the theoretical choice to pick and choose.

Simple...UConn would offer the B1G market penetration into Southern NY and New England. We have the BC/Cuse/Pitt/ND group vs PSU/Rutgers/MD group battling for that region. UConn would be a complimentary addition to either grouping.

Most of you UConn fans are Butthurt and lashing out at the ACC...but in reality the ACC would be your smartest move if you had the theoretical choice to pick and choose.

I want the B1G myself.

In BB, UCONN is a blue blood and conference really doesn't matter. When you can schedule Duke, FL, Mich St, Stanford etc OOC, it doesn't matter.

In FB, I think the B1G elevates UCONN football faster than the ACC.

Money? Not even close.

sdhusky said:
In BB, UCONN is a blue blood and conference really doesn't matter.

It will eventually. You don't follow college sports if you can say that with a straight face.

sdhusky said:
Money? Not even close.

So money matters? It also matters in upping the conference kitty.

Regardless of the outcome of tonight's game, does UConn deserve an invite to the ACC.? I realize a lot more goes into an invitation than a basketball record, and coming off an NCAA suspension is cause for concern, but I feel that this tournament run by the Huskies is a nice boost to their resume. Although their football program has been headed in the wrong direction for the past seasons but, should they win tonight, UConn will be the only D1 team to boast 3 men's basketball NCs since the turn of the century and 4 back to '99. And, there's no doubt that their women's team is THE dominant force in the college ranks. Again, I know there are other factors to consider but with Maryland on the way out and L'ville on the way in, the league is still left at a clumsy 15. If I set my emotions aside, I would welcome a UConn invitation.

Thoughts?
Our old rival, and not GT mind you, for the last decade and a half was really the Husky's, who quite frankly have out shined us on the BB court, regardless of the records. they have a chance tonight at their 4th NC in a 15 year span while we have 1. All those that thought it was Calhoun that carried this team through the playoffs better take a hard look at the team, which is actually improved over Calhoun in many ways, especially offensively with 2nd year coach Ollie improving the team with his motion offense. Now that is a word we need, Motion! I think they take it all tonight, again...Just my opinion mind you, but we have blown too many chances at being in the same catergory of a KY, UConn, NC or even a Duke program. We simply don't get it done come tournament time which to me is way more important than the regular season, which unfortunately in this sport doesn't mean a thing, its all about the final 4 and winning it.

I want the B1G myself.

In BB, UCONN is a blue blood and conference really doesn't matter. When you can schedule Duke, FL, Mich St, Stanford etc OOC, it doesn't matter.

In FB, I think the B1G elevates UCONN football faster than the ACC.

Money? Not even close.

So was Houston, so was UNLV.

It will eventually. You don't follow college sports if you can say that with a straight face.

I don't know that it will. We are really going into uncharted waters here.

As much as you want to compare UCONN to Gonzaga, our real peers are KY, Duke, UNC, Kansas etc.

There has never been an example of a BB program of UCONN's statue outside the P5 structure.

If Ollie stays (and he says he is a UCONN lifer) and he is a good coach, I think UCONN will be fine.

Do you really think kids aren't going to want to play for him?

Do you really think UCONN won't be able to schedule OOC?

Do you really think he can't coach?

I get why you want to believe he will be at a SEC school shortly, but that doesn't seem likely.

I don't know that it will. We are really going into uncharted waters here.

As much as you want to compare UCONN to Gonzaga, our real peers are KY, Duke, UNC, Kansas etc.

There has never been an example of a BB program of UCONN's statue outside the P5 structure.

If Ollie stays (and he says he is a UCONN lifer) and he is a good coach, I think UCONN will be fine.

Do you really think kids aren't going to want to play for him?

Do you really think UCONN won't be able to schedule OOC?

Do you really think he can't coach?

I get why you want to believe he will be at a SEC school shortly, but that doesn't seem likely.

Unlv used to be a peer too.

Your OOC schedule will need to be elite because your conference will be Cincy, Memphis, Temple, SMU while Brown is there, and a bunch of crap.

The B1G isn't expanding for 1 team. UConn doesn't get the B1G new markets outside of 3.8 million CT residents. UConn has a nothing football brand the B1G isn't adding another Rutgers/Maryland football program.

Basketball success is not a major part of expansion. Continue ignoring reality and dream B1G because regardless of tonight's game UConn's football program is an albatross around UConn'a basketball program's conference membership.

Your OOC schedule will need to be elite because your conference will be Cincy, Memphis, Temple, SMU while Brown is there, and a bunch of crap.

The B1G isn't expanding for 1 team. UConn doesn't get the B1G new markets outside of 3.8 million CT residents. UConn has a nothing football brand the B1G isn't adding another Rutgers/Maryland football program.

Basketball success is not a major part of expansion. Continue ignoring reality and dream B1G because regardless of tonight's game UConn's football program is an albatross around UConn'a basketball program's conference membership.

I think you are confusing my point.

My point isn't that BB will get UCONN into a P5

My point is that UCONN will continue getting to FFs and winning NC's with or without the ACC or B1G

UNLV???

4 > 1

You were Big East for that (and functionally today too). Not sure of your OOC, but again, it's diminishing returns for other schools to schedule games in Hartford or Storrs.

I don't understand why you would post here today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom