How did the secondary get this bad? | Syracusefan.com

How did the secondary get this bad?

Crusty

Living Legend
I keep asking myself was this avoidable? Did we screw up in failing to recruit for the position? Is the coaching sufficient?
What the hell happened?

I keep asking myself was this avoidable? Did we screw up in failing to recruit for the position? Is the coaching sufficient?
What the hell happened?

Where are the guys like Keon Lyn, Rishard Anderson, Philip Thomas, Shamarko, Eskridge.. we have no one like that right now.

The body types of those guys just seem so different than what we have at the moment. Lyn and Anderson were both decent sized corners.

They are inexperienced and undersized. In football, there maybe isnt a worse combination. The problem is guys like Whigham, Morgan and Eskridge. They were supposed to hold down the fort while the younger players developed. Unfortunately, they either left or have regressed.

for my perspective, this could be shafers undoing. he is only a third year head coach, but he was the defensive coordinator for four years prior so this is his defense...he owns it. it is absolutely inexplicable that this defense is so bad. marrone screwed us on recruiting offense but he sure as hell recruited defense. the best player on this defense was recruited to play TE. I am willing to give a pass on the O, because shafer has found some good young offensive players and because marrone royally screwed us on recruiting offense. I just cant let shafer walk on this defense, it is horrible and there is no excuse like "oh theyre young", they might be young but they are just plain bad. the schemes are terrible and the tackling/technique is worse. maybe those foam helmets aren't a great idea when it comes to teaching a dude to tackle.

I just don't get why we never jam at the line. If you get them at the line and slow them up then they aren't at full speed when they run the routes.

I hate the zone D. It is ridiculous and with such a huge cushion we give opposing WRs, our guys simply get lost in space.

And I don't want to hear the blitz excuse because we aren't even good at that this year.

joke.

This hire and he needs to go
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/53272/syracuse-hires-fred-reed-as-db-coach
upload_2015-10-31_22-0-18.jpeg

They are inexperienced and undersized. In football, there maybe isnt a worse combination. The problem is guys like Whigham, Morgan and Eskridge. They were supposed to hold down the fort while the younger players developed. Unfortunately, they either left or have regressed.
Without naming names - how can you not be able to coach a kid up whose main problem is not looking for the ball? That's on the kid, but after it keeps happening, it's on the coaches too.

Easy.

Brandon Reddish had his reshirt pissed away for a few BS snaps as a WR his true freshman year, and Blair was ruled ineligible, and our pass rush is subpar.. :noidea:

Last edited:
Can't actually blame Shafer on this one. This secondary would look significantly different with with Blair and Kelly... Blame NCAA and PSU...
PS - NCAA may not be done either; see Diagne on the BB side...

Can't actually blame Shafer on this one. This secondary would look significantly different with with Blair and Kelly... Blame NCAA and PSU...
PS - NCAA may not be done either; see Diagne on the BB side...
Who hired Reed????

Easy.

Brandon Reddish had his reshirt pissed away for a few BS snaps as a WR his true freshman year, and Blair was ruled ineligible. :noidea:
a coaching decision, and recruiting a kid that wasn't close to qualifying

a coaching decision, and recruiting a kid that wasn't close to qualifying

Thanks, captain obvious.

It speaks volumes about the lack of foresight when it comes to developing long term strategic assets, in Reddish's case. Keep that in mind every time you hear the "time to play all true frosh" sentiment expressed. Reddish as our primary corner, with Winfield, would be a nice tandem at CB, and exponentially stronger than what we're sporting now.

Blair was a worthwhile risk. Kid was a major league talent. He came within an eyelash. He was far closer to qualifying that what you suggest.

If the QB has time to throw, doesn't really matter who we have back there.

We got a little pressure today, but for the most part, it was pitch and catch.

Thanks, captain obvious.

It speaks volumes about the lack of foresight when it comes to developing long term strategic assets, in Reddish's case. Keep that in mind every time you hear the "time to play all true frosh" sentiment expressed. Reddish as our primary corner, with Winfield, would be a nice tandem at CB, and exponentially stronger than what we're sporting now.

Blair was a worthwhile risk. Kid was a major league talent. He came within an eyelash. He was far closer to qualifying that what you suggest.
if you are telling me that one juco db is the difference from this defense being terrible or being good than goddamn it I am with you. F THE NCAA!

if you are telling me that one juco db is the difference from this defense being terrible or being good than goddamn it I am with you. F THE NCAA!

I mean, honestly -- who knows. But yes, I think Blair would have ended up at OSU had he not been borderline academically, and then he fought to within an eyelash of eligibility. I think Blair was an NFL caliber recruit, so yes, I think he would have made an impact on a positional unit that desperately lacks talent next to Cordy.

Now... he's not here, so...

I'm not seeing practice but it is very hard to believe Ellison can't help us on defense. Could he do any worse?

Did he throw his defense under the bus?
Responding to you and RF basically said they'd rather have played against Golson. Hadn't prepped for Maguire. Just laughable.

Responding to you and RF basically said they'd rather have played against Golson. Hadn't prepped for Maguire. Just laughable.
Wow that is pretty sad. Probably said the same thing about Cook but not in public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom