How did the secondary get this bad? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How did the secondary get this bad?

Extraordinary youth at DB and at DL and at LB.
We have 2 seniors in the secondary. But the larger question is how do we not recrui so that we only have true and RS freshmen behind the two seniors, who have not improved in their time here? Did not anyone see this coming?

most of those were screen passes since we were playing 10 + yards off the line. We also turned them over 5 times
What is your point. We gave them screen passes and ND took them. That doesn't mean we would want to face Golson over Maguire. Golson torched us last year and he had 5 turnovers. Golson only has 1 turnover this year and it was a dropped pass. He would have likely torched as well. He already did it and plus I showed above a highlight for a 72 yard TD pass Golson had against Winfield last year.
CB is crazy to suggest we wanted to face Golson. Our pass D has sucked the entire year.
Golson last year.

We have 2 seniors in the secondary. But the larger question is how do we not recrui so that we only have true and RS freshmen behind the two seniors, who have not improved in their time here? Did not anyone see this coming?

It's true the Whigham and Morgan are experienced players, but the bulk of the secondary is very young - Winfield is a soph who just last year was a WR - Rodney Williams is a frosh - Scissum is a soph - Hudson is a frosh - Cordy is a soph - Whitner is a frosh.

It's a very young unit.

It takes time to learn how to play a very difficult position at this level.

I went to the ND v. Temple game last night. I was very surprised at how many seniors play defense for the Owls. That amount of experience I think does come into play.

And when you combine our youth at DB with our relative youth at LB and DL, I think you just have to be patient.

As far as recruiting is concerned I'm not sure we knew that Eskridge would leave or that Whigham would be as ineffective as he seems to have been this season.

I have never really thought about it from a recruiting numbers standpoint, but I am pleased that our best players seem to be sophs and frosh - it tells me that the ACC and IPF are having impact on the Program.

It's true the Whigham and Morgan are experienced players, but the bulk of the secondary is very young - Winfield is a soph who just last year was a WR - Rodney Williams is a frosh - Scissum is a soph - Hudson is a frosh - Cordy is a soph - Whitner is a frosh.

It's a very young unit.

It takes time to learn how to play a very difficult position at this level.

I went to the ND v. Temple game last night. I was very surprised at how many seniors play defense for the Owls. That amount of experience I think does come into play.

And when you combine our youth at DB with our relative youth at LB and DL, I think you just have to be patient.

As far as recruiting is concerned I'm not sure we knew that Eskridge would leave or that Whigham would be as ineffective as he seems to have been this season.

I have never really thought about it from a recruiting numbers standpoint, but I am pleased that our best players seem to be sophs and frosh - it tells me that the ACC and IPF are having impact on the Program.
Winfield is a RS sophomore, Hudson, Dowels and Williams are RSF. Only Whitner is a true freshman. They should not be this terrible. How difficult is it to learn quarters coverage? Players should not be making the same mistakes over and over again.

If you view Shafer's instructional videos, you will see it is pretty basic for the secondary. Linebackers have the most difficult jobs to learn.

Patience will be of little value if the coaching is poor. Can't blame it all on youth when it is this bad.

Winfield is a RS sophomore, Hudson, Dowels and Williams are RSF. Only Whitner is a true freshman. They should not be this terrible. How difficult is it to learn quarters coverage? Players should not be making the same mistakes over and over again.

If you view Shafer's instructional videos, you will see it is pretty basic for the secondary. Linebackers have the most difficult jobs to learn.

Patience will be of little value if the coaching is poor. Can't blame it all on youth when it is this bad.
I can tell you some of the secondary even at Alabama has gone through their early year struggles. I can recall how bad Dee Millner was his freshman year, but he got better and better the next 2 years, but again he had better coaching.

I can tell you some of the secondary even at Alabama has gone through their early year struggles. I can recall how bad Dee Millner was his freshman year, but he got better and better the next 2 years, but again he had better coaching.
Where are the juniors and rs sophomores in the secondary? Did we forget to recruit for the position?

What is your point. We gave them screen passes and ND took them. That doesn't mean we would want to face Golson over Maguire. Golson torched us last year and he had 5 turnovers. Golson only has 1 turnover this year and it was a dropped pass. He would have likely torched as well. He already did it and plus I showed above a highlight for a 72 yard TD pass Golson had against Winfield last year.
CB is crazy to suggest we wanted to face Golson. Our pass D has sucked the entire year.
Golson last year.
Bullough's point is fair if you prepare for one qb who is totally different than the backup. your point is fair though that from midweek on it was questionable whether goldson would play so the staff should have put in some time on mcguire. Did it really make a difference in he game ...not really since we cant get pressure but staff is afraid to blitz this year because our secondary is so bad

Its because are entire defense cannot key word CANNOT tackle

Lost 8 defensive starters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom