How did the secondary get this bad? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How did the secondary get this bad?

Responding to you and RF basically said they'd rather have played against Golson. Hadn't prepped for Maguire. Just laughable.

I just don't think that this coaching staff has the chops. I'm not comparing them to the previous staff, but those guys could game plan. Now, I think they're game day coaching was questionable, but at least they were prepared. I don't get that sense with this crew. Sadly.

Thanks, captain obvious.

It speaks volumes about the lack of foresight when it comes to developing long term strategic assets, in Reddish's case. Keep that in mind every time you hear the "time to play all true frosh" sentiment expressed. Reddish as our primary corner, with Winfield, would be a nice tandem at CB, and exponentially stronger than what we're sporting now.

Blair was a worthwhile risk. Kid was a major league talent. He came within an eyelash. He was far closer to qualifying that what you suggest.
Wasn't reddish red shirt burned on that one play against psu when the receiver smoked him. Don't think he played another down.

well I knew golson wasn't playing 3 hours before kickoff, like the rest of the modern world. if the coaches didn't know until 1 hour before kickoff than apparently they haven't discovered the internet. it is still an excuse, and it doesn't matter. our guys couldn't guard theirs, and the blitzing defense is out the window, that's it.
Yeah I saw that he said that. How could he not have know. Jesus ESPN said he wasn't playing hours before. It was even on this board that he wasn't playing.

Yeah I saw that he said that. How could he not have know. Jesus ESPN said he wasn't playing hours before. It was even on this board that he wasn't playing.
Don't worry SS and CB were out watching maguire in the preface to see if he had an arm...lol...

Seriously everyone and their mother had doubts about Golson this week. If only we hadn't had to play their backup...dang it...if would've been closer!

How about shafer saying there was only mop up duty footage. Did they forget he played last year against Clemson and won.

How about shafer saying there was only mop up duty footage. Did they forget he played last year against Clemson and won.

It is amazing how the coaching staff in the past few years has said stupid stuff...McFruckit, Shafer and ISIS, Bullough.

Not only that but then said they didn't pick up enough "tendencies" on the film...I mean you'd think FSU rolled joe Montana out there...

Not only that but then said they didn't pick up enough "tendencies" on the film...I mean you'd think FSU rolled joe Montana out there...

Bullough: "He just made some throws. When I heard he was the guy, I wasn't happy at all. I was like 'Damn,' because we had the gameplan for the other guy, and (Maguire's) a better thrower."

How many staffs anywhere would throw something like that out there as a legitimate reason, even if it were freakin true? It kinda screams "we are in over our heads."

Geez, gosh darn it, we game planned all week for the other guy who runs around and stuff, and then we get this guy who can pass. 8 games and how many practices into a season, as P5 team no less, and you can't adjust your game plan to account for a "better thrower." It's not like they have never faced "better throwers" before.

This is pathetic.

Remember when McFarlane was moved to CB like for a week, then moved back? Might've been a good one.

Bullough: "He just made some throws. When I heard he was the guy, I wasn't happy at all. I was like 'Damn,' because we had the gameplan for the other guy, and (Maguire's) a better thrower."

How many staffs anywhere would throw something like that out there as a legitimate reason, even if it were freakin true? It kinda screams "we are in over our heads."

Geez, gosh darn it, we game planned all week for the other guy who runs around and stuff, and then we get this guy who can pass. 8 games and how many practices into a season, as P5 team no less, and you can't adjust your game plan to account for a "better thrower." It's not like they have never faced "better throwers" before.

This is pathetic.
Pathetic and fireable imo

The redshirt thing to me is meaningless, the coaches aren't looking 5 years ahead. We need to bring in players.

But the comments by CB are next in the line of small time in these parts.

You want better players you need to put up with their headaches. This isn't Elmhurst.

3-0 like we just won three games against sec schools

As McDonough pointed out during the broadcast yesterday, now 2-13 against the last power 5 schools...with the 2 W's coming against WF. :(:mad:

We have been fortunate over the last decade (or so), with having good-t0-above-average safety play. Eskridge, the Thomas boys, Joe Fields, Anthony Smith, Kelly (not spectacular, but solid player), etc.

CB has been a problem for a long time. Generally we have one decent one, and the other side is a big issue. The one (two?) year in recent memory that both corners were solid , had Merkerson and (#35..I forget his name) manning the position. They were really solid. Reddish was really solid last year too, but again, we had major issues (read: Whigham) on the other side of the field.

I can't recall a year since the Scotts, in the early 2000s, where the position was in such dire straights on both sides. Dowels and Hudson seem to be our best options at this point. I had hopes for Winfield, but he has really struggled the last few games. His tackling yesterday was some of the worst I've seen from the position.

Does Bullough forget we played against Golson last year? He completed 25 passes in a row last year and wanted to face that guy over Maguire?
Maguire started against the number 1 D in college last year Clemson and did enough to beat them by throwing for over 300 yards.
The more our coaches talk the more they frustrate.

Does Bullough forget we played against Golson last year? He completed 25 passes in a row last year and wanted to face that guy over Maguire?
Maguire started against the number 1 D in college last year Clemson and did enough to beat them by throwing for over 300 yards.

Yep...just more of the same to deflect ownership...

most of those were screen passes since we were playing 10 + yards off the line. We also turned them over 5 times

I agree with Bullough on this part Al, the match-up with Golson was more favorable than Maguire. Not so much that it would have made a big difference. The issue at hand here is the nonsense about preparing all week for Golson and then getting Maguire.

I agree with Bullough on this part Al, the match-up with Golson was more favorable than Maguire. Not so much that it would have made a big difference. The issue at hand here is the nonsense about preparing all week for Golson and then getting Maguire.
Golson set a ND record against us with 25 completions in a row! CB is full of it.

I keep asking myself was this avoidable? Did we screw up in failing to recruit for the position? Is the coaching sufficient?
What the hell happened?

Extraordinary youth at DB and at DL and at LB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom